Form DK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nuel

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This coulda been posted before. But those with form DK, let's hear your thoughts on each section.

PS = harder than normal, too much physics and calculation oriented problems.
VR = ok initially then progressed devilishly midway.
BS = reasonable, but not easy.

Expected score: won't be suprised if I got a 22. I went in sure I could pull at least a 32. That is -10 for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I had DK and i thought the exact same as you...my kaplan scores were 30 +-1 and I just don't see how i can pull that score DK

PS did you take your test at OU?

Members don't see this ad :)
DMBFan61 said:
I had DK and i thought the exact same as you...my kaplan scores were 30 +-1 and I just don't see how i can pull that score DK

PS did you take your test at OU?

Same here. That's about what I was hitting with Kaplan too, and there is no way I could get that with how much DK screwed me over. The BS was the impossible one for me though. Ugh! Why me? Looks like I'll be facing the beast again in August....boooooo.

Cerberus said:
Nuel, can you name some passages in each section? I think we had very similar forms.

PS--not according to order (tough devil)

I. Adsorption of CO or O2 onto Pt surface for determining CO2 formation. Also temperature dependence was studied. (doable IMO)
II. Humic-fulvic water crap (doable)
III. periodicity (can't remember passage, but it was doable)
IV sounds and reverberations (thinky, but doable)
*horror movie tune starts*
V. magnetic fields and the earth (doable)
VI. NASA crap in space (got some bullets here)
VII. Newton's law of gravitation and orbit (got shot real bad).
VIII. ph and color crap. did this last in 4 minutes. had to best-guess this passage after skimming.
IX. alkane plus chlorine radicals (probably confusing with BS after the MCAT's reign of terror saturday).

can't remember the rest

VR. (mixed feelings)
abstract art, their divergence and unconcious expressionism (easy for me)
myth and psychoanalysis (easy)
interconnectedness of the world and sea nature's threat (doable)
Rosseau and education for the mind (easy)
I have no clue what the 10 passage questions were--evidence I was raped here. Hope someone can remined me--I am probably lumping things.
bte and refuge nonsense, dinosaurs (icythosaurss or so), music and trance. For the last 4 or so passages I either knew the answer or I was guessing.

BS (Ok in general)
malic acid and cyanide garbage (easy)
immune system abd big proteins, small and big carbohydrates (doable)
yeah, the CRABS! it was ok at any rate, but it was like an experimental passage.
orgo with X=S, Z=O R= CH2CH3
RNA editing
DNA and PKD disease.
muscles and ligaments
Drosophilia and vg and vg+

The MCAT is comparable to Al-Qaeda, but I promise to rape the August tests if I happen to retake. I didn't this thing to be this challenging.

Nuel said:

I. Adsorption of CO or O2 onto Pt surface for determining CO2 formation. Also temperature dependence was studied. (doable IMO)
VI. NASA crap in space (got some bullets here)
VII. Newton's law of gravitation and orbit (got shot real bad).
VIII. ph and color crap. did this last in 4 minutes. had to best-guess this passage after skimming.
IX. alkane plus chlorine radicals (probably confusing with BS after the MCAT's reign of terror saturday).

can't remember the rest

VR. (mixed feelings)
Rosseau and education for the mind (easy)
I have no clue what the 10 passage questions were--evidence I was raped here. Hope someone can remined me--I am probably lumping things.
bte and refuge nonsense, dinosaurs (icythosaurss or so), music and trance. For the last 4 or so passages I either knew the answer or I was guessing.

BS (Ok in general)
malic acid and cyanide garbage (easy)
immune system abd big proteins, small and big carbohydrates (doable)
yeah, the CRABS! it was ok at any rate, but it was like an experimental passage.
orgo with X=S, Z=O R= CH2CH3
RNA editing
DNA and PKD disease.
muscles and ligaments
Drosophilia and vg and vg+

The MCAT is comparable to Al-Qaeda, but I promise to rape the August tests if I happen to retake. I didn't this thing to be this challenging.

Sounds like our BS and VR were identical and I think most of the PS but i cant really rememberPS that well.

Do you remember any specifics on the NASA or Newtons passage?
Was the nasa passage the one about the rising float thing that beamed stuff to the sattelite?

Cerberus said:
Sounds like our BS and VR were identical and I think most of the PS but i cant really rememberPS that well.

So what do you feel about it? Easy, hard? Retaking this devil on a whim? I feel so horrible. 35 is a pipe dream now, walking in it was like a distinct possiblity :(

Nuel said:
yeah, you right. it was

I think we had the exact same form then (though mine was labeled CT). My thoughts:

PS: I think I did pretty well on it. So far I dont know of any that I missed, though i know I guessed on quite a few. Some calculations really sucked and thats probably were I lost the most points.

VR: Pretty hard, had to guess on the last two questions (on the dinsosaur passage). Think i probably did ok.

BS: This passage owned me. That orgo passage was hell and I think I guessed on 80% of it. I know of at least 3 others I missed as well... Not looking so good.

Nuel,

Which PS passage had the most calculations? We had similar PS passages but I don't remember having too many calculations. Maybe the passage you had lots of calculations on was an experimental?

Persistence101 said:
Nuel,

Which PS passage had the most calculations? We had similar PS passages but I don't remember having too many calculations. Maybe the passage you had lots of calculations on was an experimental?

I really don't know. but most of the questions I guessd on had calculations. My math minor was of obviously no use. Maybe I am very stupid since cerb says the PS was ok. I was doing extremely well until I started my physics streak. Guessed on 6 or so questions.

Nuel said:
I really don't know. but most of the questions I guessd on had calculations. My math minor was of obviously no use. Maybe I am very stupid since cerb says the PS was ok. I was doing extremely well until I started my physics streak. Guessed on 6 or so questions.

I just noticed...what happened to your Karma?

Members don't see this ad :)

VI. NASA crap in space: saturn satellite, momentum, speed ratios
(got some bullets here)
VII. Newton's law of gravitation
VIIIorbit ocean buoy testing(got shot real bad).
IX. ph and color crap. did this last in 4 minutes. had to best-guess this passage after skimming.
X. alkane plus chlorine radicals (probably confusing with BS after the MCAT's reign of terror saturday).
XI. truck and cargo-inclined plane and center of mass

can't remember the rest

VR. (mixed feelings)
interconnectedness of the world, mohave desert and sea nature's threat (doable)
Rosseau and education for the mind (easy
Parochial and universal concepts for contesting the tendency to claim aliens bear human features.
Understanding the past via antiques
(I have no clue what the 10 passage questions were--evidence I was raped here.)
bte and refuge nonsense,
dinosaurs (icythosaurss or so),
music and trance. For the last 4 or so passages I either knew the answer or I was guessing.

BS (Ok in general)
I.malic acid and cyanide garbage (easy)
IIvaccine production---immune system abd big proteins, small and big carbohydrates (doable)
IIIyeah, the CRABS! crab-echinoderm symbiosis. it was ok at any rate, but it was like an experimental passage.
IV. orgo with X=S, Z=O R= CH2CH3 (nitrophenyl ketone)
V. RNA editing
VI. DNA and PKD disease.
VII. muscles and ligaments
VIII. Drosophilia and vg and vg+
IX. Intervetebra disk herniation
X. Two hypotheses proposed on insect cell differentiation.
XI. transplanted heart, cardiac output, intrinsic and extrinsic signals.

just added the parochial and universal concept passage

*updated*

I had form CT which sounds like the same test as what you guys are talking about. All I remember from the PS is that CO2 problem with the metal killed me, I wound up guessing on most of the questions. The rest of it seemed doable but I was pissed at the amount of Gen Chem. A friend of mine that I sat right next to had a different form and it was mostly physics (which I probably would have rocked on).
VR: This was pretty brutal, I started running out of time and was just going with my first gut feeling on a lot of it. I really disliked the passage about the bacteria and crops at first I thought ?sweet a science passage, maybe I will know something? didn?t seem to be the case. Was anyone else confused by the high dose/ whatever questions??
BS: Not too bad, I was happy there wasn?t too much organic. It seemed like the aamc practice tests had a lot more organic on them then the real thing did. Although the passage at the end about the damn fruit flies was crappy. I think my brain was just fried.

I am guessing that your view of the test just depends on you personally. I mean, we basically all 3 took the same test and I feel that PS was fairly easy but BS was incredibly impossible and you guys think the opposite.

In this passage relating to this:

anyone remember what they put for the question

dog barking or something
cat at mercy of the dog
don't remember other

pateltr1 said:
In this passage relating to this:

anyone remember what they put for the question

dog barking or something
cat at mercy of the dog
don't remember other

dude, you've got sharp memory. Obviously you rocked the best. I was raped. Will probably retake in August.

I chose cat at mercy of dog. I will swear that as the answer

Nuel said:
dude, you've got sharp memory. Obviously you rocked the best. I was raped. Will probably retake in August.

I chose cat at mercy of dog. I will swear that as the answer

I chose a mouse at mercy of a cat, by the way concerning the "ph and color crap" passage as you put it, I kind of guessed as well, do you remember what you put for the 1st question, I think it asked something about turning blue from clear or vice versa.

frank51 said:
I chose a mouse at mercy of a cat, by the way concerning the "ph and color crap" passage as you put it, I kind of guessed as well, do you remember what you put for the 1st question, I think it asked something about turning blue from clear or vice versa.

yeah, it was mouse at mercy of cat. that was what I chose.Why shoudn't I be confused from the rape :D .

For the "ph and color crap" passage, I have no clue. I had four minutes to do it--it was my last passage.

About the ph question, for question 1 on that passage, i chose choice (a).

I don't remember what it said thought, lol.

For crab and echinocrap, last question, about which part of the cell must change was it nucleus or cell membrane? I guessed as a cell membrane but i regret not putting nucleus.

Also, that toxic question, was it endotoxic or cytotoxic? what is the difference between two? I ended up guessing endotoxic.

pateltr1 said:

For crab and echinocrap, last question, about which part of the cell must change was it nucleus or cell membrane? I guessed as a cell membrane but i regret not putting nucleus.

Also, that toxic question, was it endotoxic or cytotoxic? what is the difference between two? I ended up guessing endotoxic.

I chose cytotoxin. I can't remember the nucleus question, but I know I definitely chose "nucleus" as an answer to some question on the BS (out of the 77).

pateltr1 said:

why would it be nucleus?

endotoxins are the LPS of Gram-negative bacteria and cytotoxins are toxins to cells.

Persistence101 said:
why would it be nucleus?

endotoxins are the LPS of Gram-negative bacteria and cytotoxins are toxins to cells.

what did you put for that crab passage question? I thought it could be nucleus becuase some how it obtains genes for evolution. I also thought it could be cell membrane becuase cells of both have to interact with each other or something. I don't remember the question or the passage, but i think that was my reasoning.

I ended up guessing Cell membrane though. This was the last passage i did and i was running out of time, so it was just guess on my part.

pateltr1 said:
what did you put for that crab passage question? I thought it could be nucleus becuase some how it obtains genes for evolution. I also thought it could be cell membrane becuase cells of both have to interact with each other or something. I don't remember the question or the passage, but i think that was my reasoning.

I ended up guessing Cell membrane though. This was the last passage i did and i was running out of time, so it was just guess on my part.

ha ha! now I remember. I chose nucleus.

yeah i picked nucleus for something.

i had the exact same test, but form DM. i dont remember a cat and mouse thing. perhaps that was the experimental section

adding to noels list

Physics:
rust nail redox
satellite gaining momentum past each moon to saturn

Persistence101 said:
Not really...just that for the symbiotic relationship of crabs and echinoderms, which part of the cell might change.

I thought nucleus. chose it as soon as I saw it because of evolution and mutation.

Nuel said:
I thought nucleus. chose it as soon as I saw it because of evolution and mutation.

Wouldn't it just be DNA then? For them to refer to mutations of DNA as changes in the nucleus is kinda vague, don't you think? Because what part of nucleus...the core or nuclear membrane? I dunno...I thought of cell membrane because those might change in order for the crab and echinoderm to better interact with one another. it was a quick guess anyway.

Persistence101 said:
Wouldn't it just be DNA then? For them to refer to mutations of DNA as changes in the nucleus is kinda vague, don't you think? Because what part of nucleus...the core or nuclear membrane? I dunno...I thought of cell membrane because those might change in order for the crab and echinoderm to better interact with one another. it was a quick guess anyway.

do you mind the bastards?! they wouldn't say DNA. But they were expecting us to think DNA was in the nucleus. I think it was an experimental passage---it was the most difficult for me (form DK). I read it 3 times. suprisingly i was able to finish 10 minutes early.

Nuel said:
do you mind the bastards?! they wouldn't say DNA. But they were expecting us to think DNA was in the nucleus. I think it was an experimental passage---it was the most difficult for me (form DK). I read it 3 times. suprisingly i was able to finish 10 minutes early.

There are experimental passages on MCAT? Wow didn't know that.. I guess If i could choose one passage to be experimental, i would chose this passage.

Btw, there are experimental passages on all three sections?

pateltr1 said:
There are experimental passages on MCAT? Wow didn't know that.. I guess If i could choose one passage to be experimental, i would chose this passage.

Btw, there are experimental passages on all three sections?

Yes. it's on the AAMC MCAT page. I am hoping the nail and rust passage of PS was experimental. I guessed on it-->had 4 minutes to do it.

For those who did the nail and rust passage, was it actually hard?

pateltr1 said:

LOL, I just noticed this post. Yeah, my reasoning was the same as yours. What do you think? Could go either way ,huh? Depends on what AAMC was thinking when they asked this question.

Persistence101 said:
LOL, I just noticed this post. Yeah, my reasoning was the same as yours. What do you think? Could go either way ,huh? Depends on what AAMC was thinking when they asked this question.

Yeah, i hope both answers are correct. This question was really vague.

Last question lol, where does antigen bind to ?

variable region light and heavy chains?

or just

variable region light chain?

Cerberus said:

Do you remember any specifics on the NASA or Newtons passage?
Was the nasa passage the one about the rising float thing that beamed stuff to the sattelite?

The PS was identical to CT

pateltr1 said:
Also, CK was identical to DK, just passages were in different order.

Looks like CT is identical to form DK. Math majors must think alike because, like Cerb, I thought the physical sciences wasn't too bad, but the verbal and bio was a killer.

Just a thought, perhaps we may have same passages but different questions?

pateltr1 said:
Yeah, i hope both answers are correct. This question was really vague.

Last question lol, where does antigen bind to ?

variable region light and heavy chains?

or just

variable region light chain?

both light and heavy chains because they make up the variable region.

Hey there Nuel, and all my fellow DK test takers. It's good to see someone out there who agrees with me on the form content. PR is usually my strongest section and it ended up something like this...

Passage I - Oh hey, pretty easy...
Passage II - Hmm a lil harder, not too bad
Passage III - Ooh trucks? Not so bad...
Passage IV - OMG, what the hell is a wave????
Passage V - #@$!!!
Passage VI-XI - One passage in 5 mins, guessed on last 2...totally raped and left there to rot..

VR, surprisingly not too bad, this is normally my worst section. BS, very challenging, but hey at least I finished. Overall, hopefully my verbal and bio scores pull up physics...or you can expect to see me in August.

ifailedmcat said:
Hey there Nuel, and all my fellow DK test takers. It's good to see someone out there who agrees with me on the form content. PR is usually my strongest section and it ended up something like this...

Passage I - Oh hey, pretty easy...
Passage II - Hmm a lil harder, not too bad
Passage III - Ooh trucks? Not so bad...
Passage IV - OMG, what the hell is a wave????
Passage V - #@$!!!
Passage VI-XI - One passage in 5 mins, guessed on last 2...totally raped and left there to rot..

VR, surprisingly not too bad, this is normally my worst section. BS, very challenging, but hey at least I finished. Overall, hopefully my verbal and bio scores pull up physics...or you can expect to see me in August.

As I said before , form DK had 8 physics passages and 3 in g.chem. For VR I really can't tell. I got distracted midway as I had those 10-question passages and painful race against time--had to finish. Sometimes I think, "What if you got a 6 on VR? :scared: ---", or an 11 :D? Can't wait to get my scores and decide whether I will face August again or stand tall like an MCAT survivor.

Yea...verbal is really hard to gauge, it feels like a wildcard section. Hopefully I'll have "lottery-winning" luck, and bust out with a 15 :) I know that this HAS to have happened to SOMEONE at some point in time. I'm sure there exist the lucky few who have guessed their way to scores of 13+ :D

ifailedmcat said:
Yea...verbal is really hard to gauge, it feels like a wildcard section. Hopefully I'll have "lottery-winning" luck, and bust out with a 15 :) I know that this HAS to have happened to SOMEONE at some point in time. I'm sure there exist the lucky few who have guessed their way to scores of 13+ :D

Looks credible. Luck--some people call it Providence--has something to do with wild card exams like this. I have only waited 5 days, and an extra 55 days just looks impossible.

i'm a first time poster and i just found out about this place the other day. for all my fellow form DKers, did you guys finish verbal? man, the other two sections were ok, but verbal was ridiculously hard for me. I didn't get to that last music trance passage, i just filled in C's. can't wait till june 7th....