*Forgiveness policy?*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Citrus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C in one my classes and at the school i go to they have a "forgiveness policy" which means if you get a grade you dont like you can take the class again and then the second grade counts on your GPA not the first HOWEVER the bad grade STILL shows up on your transcript (as zero hours) but my question is, do you think that will count against me EVEN though i took the class again and got an A?

Kind of a silly question but im stressing out about it for some reason.

Thanks
*~*eMiLy*~*

Members don't see this ad.

If the original grade stays on the transcript, med schools will count both grades towards your gpa. Sucks, I know, but C and A is not bad, comes out to a B.

:rolleyes:

This is the type of "rigorous schooling" I find obnoxious. What competitive school would ever have this kind of policy?

Members don't see this ad :)
what crap! effectively the second grade will be the only one figured into your amcas as zero credits*c- [or whatever grade you got]=zero points. btw where do you go cuz' i'm going there to wipe a less than stellar first half of college off my gpa ;)

Actually, I wouldn't consider this a "forgiveness" policy at all when concerning med school. We have the exact same thing at my school: If you retake a course, the most recent grade replaces your old one, but your transcript shows that you have taken the class twice. I've asked this question to my pre-med advisor and he CLEARLY stipulated that although the school itself replaces the grade, you still must report ALL grades taken at the school, including the ones that were replaced on your AMCAS application, especially the ones that qualify as pre-reqs, so the grade ends up getting averaged together anyway. Which is why I ended up not retaking a course!

I wouldn't worry about one bad grade. I had a C+ in physics and a B- in Gen chem (same semester) and I still got in on my first application cycle. Just be prepared to explain what was going on in your life that contributed to the difficult term. In my case it was a combination of mono and a death in the family right before finals.