Forensics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonfp

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a newly-graduated, board-certified family physician interested in leaving direct patient care. I have considered adminstrative careers. Law enforcement/govt. work is very interesting to me. Is there such a thing as a pathology "fellowship" I could do rather than having to complete an entire residency? As far as I have been able to find out thusfar, all forensics positions require pathology training.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, you have to do anatomic path residency to do a forensic path fellowship. You could do it in four years total.

I would make a bet that an fp could make a living as a consultant or expert witness on assault/ sexual abuse/ child abuse (i.e. any situation where someone hurts but does not kill someone) cases.

I think that this would be a niche field which would need to be self-carved. I think you would probably still need to have some direct patient contact.

A way to investigate if such a field exists is to check out forensic nursing programs, and see if md's are needed.

Mindy

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey CF! I'm obviously not GP, but I think he means you can do 3 years AP and then 1 year forensics.

Mindy

Mindy has it.

AP required for forensics, CP is not. Better to do both AP/CP in my opinion just because it is only one more year and it keeps all your options open.

Mostly it would keep your options open outside of forensics, but the training in CP would be highly useful in any pathology career. Especially with so much technology going toward such things as molecular diagnostics and immuno testing. And, who knows you may decide that you want the big money in private practice some time down the road. That would be much tougher to get a job without CP certification.

Also, I could possibly see some jobs that would need you to be the lab director as well as the chief medical examiner. This could be much tougher without some exposure to lab management.