Forensic PP work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oathkeeper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about a career transition- I'm currently working at an AMC in a leadership position and am slowly becoming disillusioned with it. (maybe more quickly than slowly). I have some background in forensic work (forensic unit, court clinic, pre-employment evals for law enforcement). I may have an opportunity to return to the court system for a job (competency to stand trial and serve sentence evals) in order to gain more experience. Ultimately, I'd like to go into forensic practice but am wondering what types of evals folks focus on in pp?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thinking about a career transition- I'm currently working at an AMC in a leadership position and am slowly becoming disillusioned with it. (maybe more quickly than slowly). I have some background in forensic work (forensic unit, court clinic, pre-employment evals for law enforcement). I may have an opportunity to return to the court system for a job (competency to stand trial and serve sentence evals) in order to gain more experience. Ultimately, I'd like to go into forensic practice but am wondering what types of evals folks focus on in pp?
Ditto the suggestion on Eric Mart’s book. The types of evaluations you conduct will largely be a function of your training and experience. I’d imagine that private competency referrals would be the natural progression from whatever court position you get. I’ve found many private practice referrals to be nebulous, which requires a lot of discussion up front about what an attorney is really looking for. For example “mitigation” evals mean 100 different things to 100 different lawyers.

Members don't see this ad :)
For competency and other criminal work, you'll also want to check state guidelines and requirements. They may stipulate certain certifications and may also cap the pay rate, at least if it's court-mandated/court-appointment vs. privately managed. Sometimes the pay rates can be fair and sometimes they're borderline-pro bono.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the book and am reading it, thank you for all of your thoughts!