Foreign Trained MD's options in US??? Advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lots of questions. The short answer to your question is: Yes, you can apply to programs, but no, you are unlikely to get a spot.

ECFMG certification mostly doesn't expire. The CSA exam does expire, and your ECFMG certificate may have an expiration date on it. If that date is after June 14, 2001, then you just need to contact ECFMG and they will give you a sticker to place on your certificate to make it valid indefinitely. If you took it before this date, then you would need to take Step 2 CS. They do not hold you to the 7 year limit for exams, so you will not need to retake the other steps.

You will likely end up needing to retake the steps, assuming you did not take Step 3. You would basically try to register for Step 3 in California, a state that does not have any GME requirement for Step 3. You will get rejected because your prior steps are outside the 10 year limit. Using that rejection notice, you can petition the USMLE to retake the steps. A few states have no USMLE time limit for licensure (CT for example), so it would be possible to complete GME training and then get licensed in one of those states.

But I worry that if you were not competitive enough to get a spot 15 years ago, the situation is worse now.

You cannot pay for GME training, and there is no training that is not under ACGME or AOA supervision.

Dear aProgDirector:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough reply. This was helpful, informative and some of it new to me. I have previously pored over manuals/documents/FAQs that the official USMLE/ECFMG websites maintained through the years. Alternative is to be content with six figure income career that has not much soul/meaningfulness. Just perspectives!

I agree that I was not the most stellar candidate or the street smart one - one program director got into a psychological interview and he asked how I would manage a brutal schedule and child rearing with no support in a foreign country. I did not enlighten him that I studied hidden in the basement, hiding books from an abusive spouse. And still managed those scores but had applied late in the game (December) and only applied to a few spots and just that one year (unaffordability). The only use for my ECFMG certificate was during the divorce court hearing when I was asked to produce it - for the spouse to establish my career potential and rather I give him palimony. He had never seen it before because I did the exams in secrecy.

Competition in the eyes of the beheld: All just hearsay from an older era -

2002: I was working at a specialty office (but not the field I was applying for). The attending was the program director for the hospital program. I remember his secretary getting deluged by applications. While helping her, we noticed a lot of the applicants had 98 and 99 percentile on scores (which automatically discouraged me, since mine was in the 80s). Then they came for the interviews - the FMGs with 98/99 scores spoke almost no English. The USMLE paragraph questions would have needed a lot more language grasp (in our humble opinions). I have come across a variety of these over the years - like the FMG who washed beakers at the lab, one that made a break-though to get published in NEJM - and she had her name in the article as the lab assistant... granted her residency position over more qualified FMGs... this was quoted by her peer in the lab who did the major work.

2006: A chance meeting with a FMG who also never made it, raised red flags whether to report to ECFMG. Her rumor/feedback/gossip was that there were (certain specific countries) folks in 90s - early 2000s who would appear for the exam for others for a fee (fraud). This was during the 'only twice a year exams offered' era offered at their country's designated centers and before prometrics, electronic/photo etc. Around that time, GRE test leak (time zone difference) was in the news.

Thank you again and God bless. You have that special something - sagacity, patience to advise others and above all the depth of knowledge to ably guide. Please try do not ever get jaded/ burnt out by the forum questions or in your career. <3

Members don't see this ad.

The simple answer is they want to keep the money and status to themselves, Doctors are better paid than Computer scientists in part because of the rules and regulations set in place to keep the pool concentrated to only those who meet certain regulations. At the same time, the careers are different, CS can be transferred around the world and talent is the most important thing, if the US was to limit the kind of jobs CS immigrants could do, the US would not be leading the world in CS right now. With medicine it is a bit different, the resources required are different and at its core it is a service job.

Physicians a long time ago realized that they did not want to place the bottleneck for entering their profession at the immigration level so they placed their own rules and regulations for immigrants. Some of it is in part true, not every country in the world has such stringent regulations for medical education as those in the US, but much of it of course is to protect their own interests.

At the same time the argument is made that unless you follow these strict rules and regulations, patient care will suffer which in my opinion is probably only partially true.

Good luck to you though.

The simple answer is they want to keep the money and status to themselves, Doctors are better paid than Computer scientists in part because of the rules and regulations set in place to keep the pool concentrated to only those who meet certain regulations. At the same time, the careers are different, CS can be transferred around the world and talent is the most important thing, if the US was to limit the kind of jobs CS immigrants could do, the US would not be leading the world in CS right now. With medicine it is a bit different, the resources required are different and at its core it is a service job.

Physicians a long time ago realized that they did not want to place the bottleneck for entering their profession at the immigration level so they placed their own rules and regulations for immigrants. Some of it is in part true, not every country in the world has such stringent regulations for medical education as those in the US, but much of it of course is to protect their own interests.

At the same time the argument is made that unless you follow these strict rules and regulations, patient care will suffer which in my opinion is probably only partially true.

Good luck to you though.

Hi Medstart108: Thank you so much for the thoughtful insight - the same that I came to realize through my years here by living it. I agree on regulated care and oversight.

If a standardized education for physicians all over the world could be created - like the Microsoft certification that is global - enables outsourcing as well as insourcing of talent/skilled professionals. That would make it competency based and the information about the process would reach everyone - than just researching chats and forums.

Almost all the posts in this particular thread resonate with the same underlying theme - physician from abroad, migrating/intending to because it is the land for the huddled masses where streets are supposedly 'paved' in gold, any caveat to exams/training/effort, stringent certification procedures. The intention I sense - is an ambition/aim for higher training in the most advanced medical facility/country and to return to home country - or to get trained as well as get immigration to USA. So in principle, there are two dreams!

Reactions: 1 user
I have a somewhat similar question. I'll use radiology as my example (because I happen to be vaguely familiar with the training process), but it could apply to other specialties as well.

There are a lot of radiology training programs in the US that will only accept students who have already completed PGY1. Will they consider me if I completed an internship (or maybe PGY2) in Australia (I'm a US citizen)? Many of these residency programs still require 5 years beyond PGY1, which is enough to satisfy the American Board of Radiology's requirements for board certification... but of course, that doesn't matter if the program won't consider me for admission.

Also... is there any way to complete any part of my training in Australia and still be able to practice in the US? The postgraduate training seems to be much more user-friendly here, so I'd like to do as much of it here as possible. I'd also like to be able to split my time between both countries (maybe 6 months out of every year in each place?), but I wouldn't want to do it if I'd have to repeat my whole residency.[/QUOT

hi i just read what you sais i would like to be a radiologyst in us Am ecuadorian now im living in brasil because i came here to try to do radiology because US was to expensive for me, but i would like to go to US which are my options as a foreign doctor and maybe w a radiologys foreing title ? i also like ultrasounography so what i can do ..please help me :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I don't know if this has been covered, if so, please forgive me. But basically . . .
My uncle is currently a top surgeon in Taiwan - he's been practicing for over 20 years and actually is the director of a hospital. He graduated from the National University of Taiwan. Anyhow, his kids were born here in the US and are now relocating here to go to high school. Hence, my question is . . .

1. What options does my Uncle have to practice in the US? They plan to settle in the San Franciso Bay Area.
Would he have to take the USMLE's and redo another residency?

2. I don't think taking the USMLE's and redoing residency is an option for him. Does anyone know of any advanced educational opportunities? Someone suggested trying PA school - it's shorter than redoing residency.

3. He does have an MPH from UC Berkeley. I don't know if that would help in any programs.

Thanks all for any advice!

hi can yu help me what did your uncle did???? im in brazil i want to study nuclear medicine and then go to US for my fellowship , did you know what i should do ??

Hi
Im asking this question for my husband, an IMG who did not match 2018. We have heard of unaccredited internship programs in puerto rico where you can work as an intern for 1-2 years then be able to practice as a GP in a few states in america? Does anyone have any information about these programs? Do you have to be fluent in spanish?

Thanks

Hi
Im asking this question for my husband, an IMG who did not match 2018. We have heard of unaccredited internship programs in puerto rico where you can work as an intern for 1-2 years then be able to practice as a GP in a few states in america? Does anyone have any information about these programs? Do you have to be fluent in spanish?

Thanks
My friend did a program like that in PR and he was not fluent in Spanish, but he told me it was a big learning curve. He is working for the Indian Health Services in the states and making what a PCP make plus 26k/year loan repayment, but where he is working is very rural. He just interviewed for a position in an urban area.

Hi all,
I'm International Non-Invasive Cardiologist, graduated from accredited University from ECFMG, I have more than 24+ experience in my Specialty, have been the Head of medical Emergencies of the whole Government for 10 years back home. I did move to USA in June 2012, to be able to practice Medicine, I did apply for Medical Assistant certification which helped beside my ECFMG Credentials to practice under the supervision of USA Licensed Physician (Pain Management Clinics). I'm in Houston, TX. I tried 3 times with USMLE part 1, but unfortunately could not make it.
is there any way I get into the system to practice in USA without going through USMLE and Residency Program. Knowing that I heard about teh new law which exempts physicians for more than 20 year experience from Residency and let them serve in undeserved/rural areas. But actually, don't know exactly how to apply for it or how to go through it. Need advice please.
Thanks!!!

Unfortunately, no.

The USMLE (or COMLEX exam for DO physicians) is required for licensure in all 50 states. I know of no exceptions for foreign clinical practice.

The law I think you're referring to is the Missouri Assistant Physician program. You can google it. You would not qualify, and you'd need to pass the USMLE.

Great work guys, on taking the time to put out so much useful info.
I gotta question, please...
I'm currently in a UK general practice training programme; it takes 3 years like the US family medicine prog. Is there any possibility that I may be able to get a waiver of some sort (when I'm fully qualified over here) and be able to practice medicine without the whole usmle business? The academy websites do not yield much info.
Secondly, there seems to be a sort of void in which some general practitioners exist and are certified outside the mainstream they have their own academy and all. Wikipedia wasn't too clear and that academy's website is shut tight like a secret cult- u have to register and await a password before you can even see any info at all on their site.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks a mill.

First of all sorry to bump an old thread, but maybe someone will find it useful to know that the GP training in UK + MRCGP certification will give you credit if you want to do redo your FM residency in US. Usually it’s 1 or 2 years maximum and then you can get your medical license. Obviously before doing that, you need to pass the Usmle steps, get your ECFMG certification and apply to FM residencies. When you have your foot in, then your PD needs to contact the board.

Last edited: