Foreign trained dentist with no experience.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moogla

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I finished dental school in 2015 and moved to the US in the same year. I have never had my own patients, never worked as a dentist. And I know a lot of Advanced standing programs are asking for a bench test which I have no idea how to do! I know there are programs that prepare you for the bench test, but they are for people who had some experience before. I had none :( Can anybody recommend any training courses or videos or anything that can help me? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I finished dental school in 2015 and moved to the US in the same year. I have never had my own patients, never worked as a dentist. And I know a lot of Advanced standing programs are asking for a bench test which I have no idea how to do! I know there are programs that prepare you for the bench test, but they are for people who had some experience before. I had none :( Can anybody recommend any training courses or videos or anything that can help me? Thank you in advance!
Dr. Duggan, Stevenson, Dr Tools are a few.
Facebook CAAPID groups have a lot of such course advertisements.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
It is very strange to hear, that you feel unable to do a simple prep on a dentoform after graduating from a dental school.
Courses are available, but maybe you should stick with schools which do not require bench test and get a proper training at the school

Members don't see this ad :)
It is very strange to hear, that you feel unable to do a simple prep on a dentoform after graduating from a dental school.
Courses are available, but maybe you should stick with schools which do not require bench test and get a proper training at the school
Unfortunately in my country, most of the practice you get is in the residency and I never went to the residency because I moved to the US. And my internship was in the orthodontic field

Unfortunately in my country, most of the practice you get is in the residency and I never went to the residency because I moved to the US. And my internship was in the orthodontic field
Were you trained in a sim lab? Should be enough for the bench. If you have absolutely no hand skills, then it would be better if you apply to a regular program

Reactions: 1 user
Were you trained in a sim lab? Should be enough for the bench. If you have absolutely no hand skills, then it would be better if you apply to a regular program
What do you mean by "regular program"?

What do you mean by "regular program"?
The four year DDS/DMD program in any dental school in USA or Canada. Keep in mind that the application requirements are different.
Hard to say which program would be harder for you to get into, but at the same time you need to understand, that IDP is designed for people, who already pretty much know everything

Reactions: 1 user