Foreign Trained Dentist Job Opportunities for US Citizens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremolarSwag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Dental students and graduates.

I'm an american born citizen currently studying my BDS abroad and am in my final year. I've passed my NBDE part 1 and will return to the USA after I finish my final year to attempt the part 2 exam as well as apply for the international dental program in the following cycle. I will have roughly half a year until the cycle begins and was wondering what jobs I could get related to the dental field? Something that would look good on my application. Keep in mind, i'm not on a visa so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, how many shadowing hours would be sufficient to be accepted by dental schools? I will try to manage shadowing an hour or two a day, side by side with a job.

Thank you for the help

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of international students I have encountered in the US have worked as dental assistants. That's probably the most obvious place to start. However, anything in research may also be beneficial.
Most schools don't have a certain number of shadowing hours that you require for international dentists. Usually this requirement is for those who apply from yr 1.

Hello fellow Dental students and graduates.

I'm an american born citizen currently studying my BDS abroad and am in my final year. I've passed my NBDE part 1 and will return to the USA after I finish my final year to attempt the part 2 exam as well as apply for the international dental program in the following cycle. I will have roughly half a year until the cycle begins and was wondering what jobs I could get related to the dental field? Something that would look good on my application. Keep in mind, i'm not on a visa so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, how many shadowing hours would be sufficient to be accepted by dental schools? I will try to manage shadowing an hour or two a day, side by side with a job.

Thank you for the help

You can also look into prectorships/internships/externships at dental schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of international students I have encountered in the US have worked as dental assistants. That's probably the most obvious place to start. However, anything in research may also be beneficial.
Most schools don't have a certain number of shadowing hours that you require for international dentists. Usually this requirement is for those who apply from yr 1.

I was told that you need to study some sort of Dental Assistant course to be able to actively assist a dentist and also get paid. I find it hard to believe that i'd get a paid job as a dental assistant with an international degree? I guess I should look into it

I'd like some more information about becoming an unlicensed dental assistant in California. I'm aware of the 3 prerequisites i.e. The Dental Practice Act course, course on Infection Control and BLS. What i'm wondering is, are unlicensed dental assistant easily hired? Most job listings are for Registered Dental Assistants.

I'd like some more information about becoming an unlicensed dental assistant in California. I'm aware of the 3 prerequisites i.e. The Dental Practice Act course, course on Infection Control and BLS. What i'm wondering is, are unlicensed dental assistant easily hired? Most job listings are for Registered Dental Assistants.
Do the Xray licence course too.