MD & DO Foreign Step cheating scandal - recalls and screen shots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Billiam95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Interesting development, posting since I haven't seen it discussed here yet. Given the high stakes, it's really not too surprising that this happens.

Sheriff of Sodium's thoughts on how they were caught:

I really think the benefits of high S2 scores tends to fade away somewhere in the low/mid 260s, so by pushing for 270s & 280s, they really brought unnecessary scrutiny on themselves. I wonder if recent moves by states such as TN, which allow FMG to practice without US residency after a period of supervision, will be revisited in light of the cheating scandal.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow props to USMLE for cracking down on this. Still blows my mind that this method of cheating works. Doesn’t the usmle has a huge bank of active questions from which they construct each exam? You’d need a massive number of questions to really make a difference right?

I can’t imagine scoring much differently if I’d seen half my questions ahead of time. I felt like the question banks like UWorld did the same for me. Like there’s only so many ways to dress of an afib question that wants me to recognize it on an EKG. I don’t need a screenshot of the real test question to get it.

The sadly ironic thing is that those kids scoring 270-280 wouldn’t still scored well taking it honestly. I can’t imagine this method buys you that many extra points.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh wow props to USMLE for cracking down on this. Still blows my mind that this method of cheating works. Doesn’t the usmle has a huge bank of active questions from which they construct each exam? You’d need a massive number of questions to really make a difference right?

I can’t imagine scoring much differently if I’d seen half my questions ahead of time. I felt like the question banks like UWorld did the same for me. Like there’s only so many ways to dress of an afib question that wants me to recognize it on an EKG. I don’t need a screenshot of the real test question to get it.

The sadly ironic thing is that those kids scoring 270-280 wouldn’t still scored well taking it honestly. I can’t imagine this method buys you that many extra points.
They must be re-using a lot of the questions since only the questions that have been validated by previous examinees are used; the obvious solution here is to reuse less questions.

Out of 300+ questions on the exam, probably only a smaller handful of the harder questions (or questions that test more obscure content that less med students know) are really what separate the ones scoring 260+ versus say 220 or 230. Having knowledge of these questions ahead of time (and looking up the answers ahead of time) could easily separate one from a low to a higher percentiles. I would suspect close to half of the questions are easier questions that most will get right and thus don't separate the percentiles nearly as much so having previous knowledge of these easier ones may not give one much of an advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They must be re-using a lot of the questions since only the questions that have been validated by previous examinees are used; the obvious solution here is to reuse less questions.
But then they would actually have to work for their multi-million dollar revenue stream :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
The statistical answer is "no," actually, because while no one really knows how exactly the Step exams are graded, there are a lot of pieces out there strongly suggesting the difference between, say, a 250 and a 270 comes out to a few questions/block. The average student taking a standardized test like this is already getting most of the questions correct.

To use hypothetical numbers, let's say there are 300 questions on a given test, drawn from 3,000 possible questions in a question bank. You (hypothetical student) would get an average of 75% of those 3000 questions correct (2250) based on your studying. I give you a subset of 300 questions beforehand and tell you the answers, so you'd get 100% of those specific questions correct. We don't know how many of those questions you'd get on the actual test (which will be a random collection of 300 questions of the 3000, likely mostly different questions) but of the total bank, your total pre-test projected "correct" answers just went up by by 75 (the 25% of the 300 questions I gave you that you would've otherwise missed), raising your overall total from 2250 to 2325.

Sounds miniscule, but based on the estimates we have (which might be speculation) going from 75% correct to 77.5% correct would raise your score by ~8 points. Now who knows how big the actual test bank is, but based on what I've read about this, it sounds as though the cheaters had access to potentially thousands of questions beforehand (a number of people took pictures of every question they got on the test, and that was aggregated and distributed). It'd be like doing a section of UWorld you've already done before.

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if recent moves by states such as TN, which allow FMG to practice without US residency after a period of supervision, will be revisited in light of the cheating scandal.
I don’t think the scandal is getting enough media coverage to have an impact on these laws but this is a good way for US doctors to push back against these bills

Reactions: 3 users