Foreign soil Naval hospital experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dEviantrAdiologist

Evacuation proctographer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I will soon be going active as a diagnostic radiology attending to pay back HPSP obligation and had a couple of questions...

1) Does anyone have any experience with the Naval hospitals in Spain, Italy, England (?), or Japan? If so, what were positives/negatives about the hospitals and environs?

2) How competetive are the foreign billets compared to the big three (SD, Portsm, Beth)?

3) Any NorAmer billets other than the big 3 that should be considered as well, such as in Washington state?

I realize that I will be going in as a radiology attending, but even if a person doesn't have experience in this area, opinions would be much appreciated.

BTW, I recently searched for these hospitals using the links provided in previous posts, but many of the links are inactive.

Thanks for your help!

DevRad

Members don't see this ad.

dEviantrAdiologist said:
1) Does anyone have any experience with the Naval hospitals in Spain, Italy, England (?), or Japan? If so, what were positives/negatives about the hospitals and environs?

I think it is a conspiracy by the Navy. A few years ago, some of this information was available to you on the internet. But now, the Rads detailer holds all the cards and has all the information. You now have no info at all. You don't even know all the current possible duty stations. The detailer may say to you "only Iraq, Afghanistan, and fleet hospital Kuwait billets are open...so where do you want to go?" HORRIBLE I SAY...

I have a little info...but it's limited...

PACIFIC OCEAN OVERSEAS BILLETS:
  • There are 2 billets in Japan. One in Yokosuka, Japan (mainland Japan). Another in Okinawa, Japan (small island isolated south of mainland Japan). I enjoyed both areas as a flight surgeon. I prefer Yokosuka though because it is less than 1 hour from Tokyo (great PARTY TOWN!).
  • Guam
  • Hawaii

ATLANTIC OCEAN OVERSEAS BILLETS:
  • There is a rads billet in Rota, Spain.
  • I don't know if there is a billet in Naples, Italy.
  • I'm pretty sure there is NOT a billet in England.
  • A few years ago, there was a Rads billet in Keflavic, Iceland. But I don't know if it exists anymore.

dEviantrAdiologist said:
2) How competetive are the foreign billets compared to the big three (SD, Portsm, Beth)?
The overseas billets are usually easy to get, except for Hawaii, Spain, and Italy (for obvious reasons). Hawaii, Spain, and Italy are usually given to 2nd tour guys/gals. But you never know...you might get lucky.

dEviantrAdiologist said:
3) Any NorAmer billets other than the big 3 that should be considered as well, such as in Washington state?
Wherever there's a Naval Hospital, there's usually a Rads billet. But sometimes, these services are given to civilians.

Here are the Naval Hospitals in North America (other than the BIG 3):
Camp Pendleton, California (less than 1 hour from San Diego)
Groton, Connecticutt
Jacksonville, Florida
Pensacola, Florida
Great Lakes, Illinois (less than 1 hour from Chicago)
Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
Beaufort, South Carolina
Newport, Rhode Island
Bremerton, Washington (about 1.5 hour ferry ride from Seattle)

Thanks for the quick reply!

With no prior military experience, having done HPSP for medical school without attending OIS, and receiving a full civilian deferrment for radiology, I haven't had much exposure to the different available billets for Navy radiology--or the military for that matter. Thus most of the information I have gotten is mostly hearsay from current residents in my same predicament, not actually the attendings at the various locations. I agree with the statement that there seems to be a paucity of available information regarding current billets (just try to click on most of the links under one of the "useful military websites" sticky posts). So any information is much appreciated. I guess I'll try to contact my detailer earlier to see my options.

The Yokosuka, Japan billet sounds like it would be great for a couple of years--not necassarily for the partying but its closeness to Tokyo.

If anyone else has any input, please feel free to post!

Thanks!

DevRad

Members don't see this ad :)
flynnt said:
"a Rads billet" as in singular? Like only one radiologist for the entire hospital?

Depends on the staffing and the post. But no he did not mean singular

There is generally a few others as well. There are supposed to be anyway, who knows with the current staffing. Best bet is to call the Dept directly.

My overseas experience is from the level of a GMO so I cant speak much about the hospital environment.

I was in Okinawa for 11 months. Great Island for about 3 months to go diving and stuff, but beyond that it would get monotonous. From what I hear Guam has a similliar feel to it without the language barrier.

Mainland Japan is outrageously fun but outrageously expensive. Mt Fuji is a good trip worth taking too.

Rota, Spain- Only spent a few days there but the hospital has a nice community set-up and it is a decent base. Most peple I talked with live out in town and really enjoy the atmosphere.

I had orders to Gaeta, Italy but they got yanked due to the War so I cant talk too much about Italy other than it is central europe and would be awesome for traveling. Always wanted to see rome. Guess Ill have to go as a civilian.

Hi all..
First, there is no better way to find out then to contact the radiologist in each area.
There is only about 8-10 areas that seems like you are considering, and so get their emails or phone numbers and call them.
It might take you 2 hours or so and cost you about 30 dollars in phone payments, but it will be the best time/money ever spent.

From reading the previous postings in this chain, I can already point out very outdated info, and although it is nice of the posters to give you info, I do not believe anyone has been in YOUR billet.

Another adv. to just picking up the phone and calling is that you get to know exactly how many billets are open were. I had a list of all the billets and all the openning before I called my detailer.. You have no idea how that helps. It literally makes you calling the shots.. cause they can NOT bull**** you at all.

I was also new to the navy. but all the hospital websites have the quarterdeck number. So calculate the time difference, choose a time on midweek and call the quaterdeck, and tell them you are Dr. so so from the states and need Radiology and then ask for a radilogist.. Its very easy.. trust me..

good luck.

Now that I have given you some objective info. here is some subjective stuff: you would love japan. There is 5 billets in okinwa and I bielve 4 in yakoska and 3 in guam. Okinawa is setting up a complete digital system this year, so your life will be much better when you are on call.

A.

Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but I was wondering if foreign soil naval hospitals ever take civilians. FWIW DRads is one of the fields I'm most interested in right now (starting med school next year), and I think it'd be a lot of fun to work at Yokosuka or Okinawa, at least for a few years.

I really ought to ask my dad about this, since he was (is if you count reserves) a Navy doc, but he was only on ships and in U.S. hospitals so I'm not sure how much he'd really know about this.

Thanks for the info.