Foreign military pilot to Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rperre

AH64D Instructor Pilot
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I always liked medicine, but never really looked into it, because my other dream was to become a Military Pilot, which I did.

I currently work for the Royal Netherlands Air Force as a AH64D Apache Instructor Pilot down in Alabama. I am married to a American girl and have my permanent resident papers (soon U.S. Citizen).

I basically have 2 Degrees before I started flying for the military, 1 is in Computer Science and the other 1 is as an Aeronautical Engineer. Except for the Biology part of the pre-reqs, I think I cover the others.

I have my Diploma's and certificates but ofcourse do not have any GPA score.

I am 36 and thinking about changing careers to become a Doctor. I have 3 more years in my contract with the military and can probably get some tuition reimbursed through different programs we have for post military career training.

What do you think I could do to become a doctor.
What is the fastest way.
Can I start courses while still working? (Online?)

I am still looking at what direction I would like, my wife is a CRNA, we know a lot of the doctors around here, and I can probably shadow pretty much anybody I want, from Neuro to Ortho, etc...

Spare me all the bull about "DON'T DO IT" etc... just looking for info.

Also don't get me wrong, I love flying and training other guys, but a career in Medicine would probably change me around.

Sincerely,

Richard

Members don't see this ad.

A similiar question was asked in another forum recently. The responses regarding undergraduate credits may be helpful for you, too, at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=554670

In regards to on-line courses, though having a lot of these on your transcript is frowned on, I expect you'd be cut some slack at many institutions due to your active military status. The only way to know for sure is to call the admissions office at a few of your most -prefered med schools, and ask if they'd be accepted. Taking courses at a community college is another less-than-perfect, but better option. Classes at a four-year university would be most desireable and, being generally more rigorous, would best prepare you to take the MCAT.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answer and the link,

I will call around and see what's possible with a 4-year college.

Richard