Foreign medical graduate as PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a FMG from India , with an approx 3.8 gpa. I did my MPH from one of the top 10 universities for mph and graduated with an approx 3.8 gpa. Now, I really want to be able to practice medicine. As I graduated from med school around 8 years back, because of that and other reasons, definitely USMLE is not an option for me. I have been thinking of becoming a PA, but have a few questions first.

- Would these credentials with maybe working as a medical assistant (for hands on experience in the US) for sometime allow me to get admission to a PA course?
- Are PA's allowed to do procedures under supervision?
- Also I would love to hear from people about how satisfied they are being a PA.

Thank you so much in advance for taking time out to answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Each PA program will have their own standards as to what kind of institutions that they grant credit to. Whether or not you have to go back to school to take classes from a US accredited university that they recognize will vary by each school. My guess is that you would have a hard time getting into a PA program unless you take prerequisite courses at a US accredited school. That’s the biggest obstacle you face.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The best option for me would be to approach individual schools and ask them whether they would accept my credentials for the prerequisite courses, I guess.

With the internet, it's not hard to find out. Go to their website and look, and there's an e-mail address usually.