foreign graduate pgy1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharma88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow pharmacists!

i was wondering if some of u can inform me on the possibility of landing a pgy1 residency through the match system (preference to clinical pharmacy) as a foreign graduate (licensed to practice / passed the NAPLEX) any of u came across such cases?

Any sort of help is more than welcome

Have a gd one !

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for my system, they do not sponsor any visas. I would contact the sites to see if they do.

thanks for replying !! i forgot to mention that i am a US citizen.. i asked the question because i studied in switzerland... and pharmacists there graduate with a masters degree and not a pharmaD !

Members don't see this ad :)
Good! I hear that the visa sponsorship is a nightmare to obtain. Please take a look at the requirements to apply for each residency site. Not sure how many will recognize the master's equivalent. Also, you would need to obtain that state's intern license and will need to be fully licensed ASAP after graduation (the site will pressure you), which will have certain requirements.

Here's the section from the Califorinia BoP's site pertaining to you (for obtaining an intern license):
"A graduate of a foreign pharmacy school who has obtained certification from the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC).

NOTE: You will not be issued an intern registration until the board has received written verification from the FPGEC that you have obtained this certification. (This process will take up to 12 weeks for the FPGEC

to provide your results to the board.)"

And if you want to be a licensed pharmacist:

"Graduates from a college of pharmacy program outside the U.S. must meet Title 16 California Code of Regulations Section 1720.1 which states,”Graduates of foreign pharmacy schools who have been certified by the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Committee shall be deemed by the board to have satisfied the requirements of paragraphs (3) and (4) of Business and Professions Code Section 4200(a). Candidates who have been certified by the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Committee before January 1, 1998, must also provide the board with a score on the Test of Spoken English of least 50. For candidates who took the Test of Spoken English before June 30, 1995, a score of at least 220 must be achieved.”

Have completed 1,500 intern hours of pharmacy practice experience or have licensure as a pharmacist in another state for at least one year.

Have passed the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) and the California Practice Standards and Jurisprudence Examination for Pharmacists on or after January 1, 2004. (CPJE)."

Western University in Pomona,CA. offers a program for foreign pharmacists to be licensed in CA. I hear that it is very popular-and expensive. The 'students' I had on rotation were really good.

houston methodist hospital has pgy1 for international graduate
massachusettes general hospital has pgy1 for international grad
i think UIC may have one too

Reactions: 1 user
Good! I hear that the visa sponsorship is a nightmare to obtain. Please take a look at the requirements to apply for each residency site. Not sure how many will recognize the master's equivalent. Also, you would need to obtain that state's intern license and will need to be fully licensed ASAP after graduation (the site will pressure you), which will have certain requirements.

Here's the section from the Califorinia BoP's site pertaining to you (for obtaining an intern license):
"A graduate of a foreign pharmacy school who has obtained certification from the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC).

NOTE: You will not be issued an intern registration until the board has received written verification from the FPGEC that you have obtained this certification. (This process will take up to 12 weeks for the FPGEC

to provide your results to the board.)"

And if you want to be a licensed pharmacist:

"Graduates from a college of pharmacy program outside the U.S. must meet Title 16 California Code of Regulations Section 1720.1 which states,”Graduates of foreign pharmacy schools who have been certified by the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Committee shall be deemed by the board to have satisfied the requirements of paragraphs (3) and (4) of Business and Professions Code Section 4200(a). Candidates who have been certified by the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Committee before January 1, 1998, must also provide the board with a score on the Test of Spoken English of least 50. For candidates who took the Test of Spoken English before June 30, 1995, a score of at least 220 must be achieved.”

Have completed 1,500 intern hours of pharmacy practice experience or have licensure as a pharmacist in another state for at least one year.

Have passed the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) and the California Practice Standards and Jurisprudence Examination for Pharmacists on or after January 1, 2004. (CPJE)."

Western University in Pomona,CA. offers a program for foreign pharmacists to be licensed in CA. I hear that it is very popular-and expensive. The 'students' I had on rotation were really good.

Thank you for your generous response! i already have the fpgec certificate and in the process of licensure (intern hours and naplex)... however most programs seem to require a pharmD (which is not the case for international grads, even after the whole licensure process in the US...), so i was wondering if they still consider foreign grads that are licensed to work in the US (meaning, passed the fpgec and naplex).

houston methodist hospital has pgy1 for international graduate
massachusettes general hospital has pgy1 for international grad
i think UIC may have one too

Thank you for your response, i am aware of those programs, however it seems that they are mainly directed to foreign grads that are not US citizens and that are not willing to practice in the US. So idk what they are worth really... im looking for a residency that would put me on the same level (or almost) as US graduates for future job opportunities in the US (as i am a US citizen).

I would start calling the residency directors. Competition is very stiff, I would be interested in how things go for you.

Hello fellow pharmacists!

i was wondering if some of u can inform me on the possibility of landing a pgy1 residency through the match system (preference to clinical pharmacy) as a foreign graduate (licensed to practice / passed the NAPLEX) any of u came across such cases?

Any sort of help is more than welcome

Have a gd one !

Hi! Considering this post is a few years old, what did you end up finding? I'm in a similar situation, Canadian phcist with bachelors not pharmD degree and curious if they would accept me into a PGY1 program.

Most PGY-1s that I know, if not all, do not accept the BSPharm, and require the PharmD in order to apply. You are competing against foreign graduates who have PGY-1s w/ PharmDs (my school has a crap ton of these graduates), as well as US citizen graduates w/ PharmDs as well.