for you military docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finnpipette

Fallen from Grace
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just a random question. I just watched black hawk down the other day and recoiled in horror as the medic clamped down arteries w/o anesthesia. how different is military medicine from the rest of the group? more disciplined hours? when you serve, are you mostly giving anthrax vaccines? have i been watching too much tv?

Members don't see this ad.

You've been watching too much TV. 6 years as a medic and I never clamped down on an artery or gave an anthrax vaccine.

Did the same things that a paramedic or LPN does in "the real world".

I think you should quit watching TV and open a book. At USUHS we actually studied the events that took place at Mogadishu and the movie was pretty accurate.

As far as the medic is concerned...he didn't use anesthesia b/c the patient's BP was already low enough and morphine would have killed him.

when you serve, are you mostly giving anthrax vaccines?

I'm not going to bother answering this question.

ENS Rotatores

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, clamping down on arteries isn't within the scope of practice for a 91B. The film was pre-91X. These were infantry guys, not SF PA's. There wouldn't have been any clamping down of arteries except by a surgeon in a field hospital.

sorry about my ignorance. :p

Man, clamping down on arteries isn't within the scope of practice for a 91B. The film was pre-91X. These were infantry guys, not SF PA's. There wouldn't have been any clamping down of arteries except by a surgeon in a field hospital.

Umm...under the circumstances who else would you have liked to clamp down on the artery...and how far away was the closest field hospital...let's think people.

I read the book and if I remember right the medic was a Delta solider and not part of the Ranger regiment. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Makes a huge difference if he was a Delta medic. He was probabally a SF medic (18D I think?). Their training is much more then 91-B or even 91W

Just out of curiousity what is the scope of a 91B [or W]? About that of an EMT-B except that they can do IVs? There were a few folks from the National Guard in my EMT-B class who were in a medical evacuation unit.

If he was delta, he was either a PA or one hot paramedic. In either case, he could be doing said clamping.

91B is like a priviliged EMT-B. But in combat, can administer morphine, clamp down on arteries, whatever you feel qualified to do and have too. 91W is like EMTB + LPN.

Just to clarify he was not a delta medic, he was a ranger. (so says the book)

Originally posted by Thousandth
Just to clarify he was not a delta medic, he was a ranger. (so says the book)

oops. it might have been the first medic [when blackburn falls] that was portrayed as a ranger but actually was a delta. i'll have to read it again and figure it out.

A 91W can intubate as well at least if I rember right (got out before I had to transition).

Not really quite sure about Army specialty codes, but I was an AF 4N (ie medic). We were all nationally certified EMT-Bs. I was ACLS and PALS cert, as well. My daily job was comparable to an LPN/RN. I initiated IVs, urinary caths, administered meds, NG tubes, could do ABGs etc. Although I received some training in intubation, I was not expected to use the skill... the code team arrived rapidly.