For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, Tucker Carlson on the left. Apparently, his dad was friends with Jerry Garcia, so Tucker got to meet him. Became big Deadhead, went to 50 shows.

Ah so there are dickish deadheads out there :rofl:
Edit: Meh...we'll leave politics out of THIS thread. This thread has been a safe haven for 24 pages of posts over many years

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: Meh...we'll leave politics out of THIS thread. This thread has been a safe haven for 24 pages of posts over many years
Letter from Robert Hunter, to Jerry Garcia after he died:

"Driving to the city once, you admitted you didn’t have a clue what to do beyond composing and playing the best you could. I agreed – put the weight on the music, stay out of politics, and everything else should follow. I trusted your musical sense and you were good enough to trust my words. Trust was the whole enchilada, looking back."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Boxer: Very cool album, by The National.

Highlights: Fake Empire, Mistaken for Strangers and Slow Show.

TheNational-Boxer.jpg

Not political, just a fact. There are some dickHeads out there. The lot could be a dark place at times...

@Birdstrike did you happen to come across the National because of this project they arranged? Some really excellent covers on there.

Like this one:

Yes, Wilco, that's exactly how I found them. There are some interesting Dead covers on there, like the ones from Phosphorescent, Courtney Barnett, Kurt Vile and some others. Somehow I missed The National in the early '00s, when I sponged up bands like the White Stripes, The Strokes and others from that era. So I've been going back and consuming their back catalog, like an addict that found a bag of crack. Alligator, Boxer and High Violet are so, so, good; especially Boxer. Classic, like you said. They remind me of ....if The Smiths and Joy Division had a baby. That's The National.

I also learned, after taking my daughters to see Taylor Swift live last month, that Aaron Dessner from The National is the genius behind Taylor Swift's album Folklore. I never paid much attention to her, until seeing her live show and stumbling upon the stuff Dessner did with her. Quite brilliant, in a way I never would have expected from her (Folklore, Evermore, Alcott, Coney Island). I wasn't expecting much, but was blown away by her live show. I've been to countless concerts over the decades, huge and small. The only thing I could compare it to was seeing Michael Jackson in 1984 after Thriller came out. That was a massive MASSIVE happening, at the time (if you're old enough to remember) and similarly impossible to score a ticket to. My dad made that once-in-a-lifetime show happen for my sister and I. So I wanted to pay it forward to my daughters to get them to see "Taytay" as they call her. And with a little bit of luck, was able to do it. If Swift gets any better at what she does, she may end up being the biggest selling female artist of all time.

I think you might like Folklore and Evermore, if you gave them a chance. Or at least The Alcott from The First Two Pages of Frankenstein.

Reactions: 1 users
Somehow I missed The National in the early '00s, when I sponged up bands like the White Stripes, The Strokes and others from that era.
Speaking of 00's Rock (AughtRock) I'm going to catch The Walkmen on the tour they're doing right now, super excited. Notice how they use the space in the first video to go from (naturally) reverbed barbershop harmony at the beginning to crisp full band sound at the end. It's brilliant.

Yes, Wilco, that's exactly how I found them. There are some interesting Dead covers on there, like the ones from Phosphorescent, Courtney Barnett, Kurt Vile and some others. Somehow I missed The National in the early '00s, when I sponged up bands like the White Stripes, The Strokes and others from that era. So I've been going back and consuming their back catalog, like an addict that found a bag of crack. Alligator, Boxer and High Violet are so, so, good; especially Boxer. Classic, like you said. They remind me of ....if The Smiths and Joy Division had a baby. That's The National.

I also learned, after taking my daughters to see Taylor Swift live last month, that Aaron Dessner from The National is the genius behind Taylor Swift's album Folklore. I never paid much attention to her, until seeing her live show and stumbling upon the stuff Dessner did with her. Quite brilliant, in a way I never would have expected from her (Folklore, Evermore, Alcott, Coney Island). I wasn't expecting much, but was blown away by her live show. I've been to countless concerts over the decades, huge and small. The only thing I could compare it to was seeing Michael Jackson in 1984 after Thriller came out. That was a massive MASSIVE happening, at the time (if you're old enough to remember) and similarly impossible to score a ticket to. My dad made that once-in-a-lifetime show happen for my sister and I. So I wanted to pay it forward to my daughters to get them to see "Taytay" as they call her. And with a little bit of luck, was able to do it. If Swift gets any better at what she does, she may end up being the biggest selling female artist of all time.

I think you might like Folklore and Evermore, if you gave them a chance. Or at least The Alcott from The First Two Pages of Frankenstein.
My favorite Swift remains Richard but Taylor deserves respect for sure.

Both the Dessner and Devendorf brothers have worked on lots of cool projects. I was enjoying LNZNDRF's first album just earlier this week, in fact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not bad. Just not bad.

It's a bit skippy, no? Like a fast paced skip. A cocaine-laced skip.
Here's a question for you - are there any Dead covers (other bands playing GD) that you really like? And I mean bands with their own identity who are interpreting the Dead. Grateful Dead cover bands are a separate (though potentially interesting) conversation.

Here's a question for you - are there any Dead covers (other bands playing GD) that you really like? And I mean bands with their own identity who are interpreting the Dead. Grateful Dead cover bands are a separate (though potentially interesting) conversation.

JRAD is better than the Dead. JRAD is better than anything the Dead put out post 1980, up to and including this day!

The favorite Dead cover of all time is Ripple, by Janes Addiction. Even Robert Hunter said he was blown away by it. It's an electro-grunge guitar version of ripple with the back beat of The Other One. Just nuts, but I love it! It's actually the song that took me from Dead fan to really getting them. But I didn't become a true Head, until @thegenius told me about Relisten a few years back. That opened all 2,000 shows to me most of which I've listed to while training for marathons. Mind BLOWN.

• Love
Speaking of 00's Rock (AughtRock) I'm going to catch The Walkmen on the tour they're doing right now, super excited. Notice how they use the space in the first video to go from (naturally) reverbed barbershop harmony at the beginning to crisp full band sound at the end. It's brilliant.

I will 100% check them out.

JRAD is better than the Dead. JRAD is better than anything the Dead put out post 1980, up to and including this day!
There's some great shows from '80-'82, truth be told. '82 at Red Rocks for example.

The favorite Dead cover of all time is Ripple, by Janes Addiction. Even Robert Hunter said he was blown away by it. It's an electro-grunge guitar version of ripple with the back beat of The Other One. Just nuts, but I love it! It's actually the song that took me from Dead fan to really getting them. But I didn't become a true Head, until @thegenius told me about Relisten a few years back. That opened all 2,000 shows to me most of which I've listed to while training for marathons. Mind BLOWN.

The problem is I don't like Ripple anyway. I usually skip it. Yes yes yes it's blasphemy. Next topic.
So if I don't like Ripple, I don't like covers. As covers go though, that one by Janes Addiction sure is spicy and in the true spirit of Janes Addiction.

Relisten.net (and the phone app) is simply God's Gift to happiness and joy. If we all had that app on our phones we would be a much happier lot and not ripping on each other and others in perpetuity.

What is the ER equivalent?

Imagine every patient you saw
1) answered your questions correctly
2) did what you told them to do
3) always said "Thanks Doc I will take your advice"
4) left the ER if you told them to leave
5) happily accepted admission when suggested
6) never did drugs
7) had nice plump landmarks when you need to do a procedure
8) had very large veins for cannulation
9) never complained
10) admitted that they came to the ER for a stupid complaint and said "I promise I will never come to the ER again for this, or for any other stupid complaint ever"
11) paid their medical bills
12) lost weight
13) stopped smoking
14) got unhooked off of meth, cocaine, suboxone
15) didn't eat Popeyes every day
16) were super hot and asked to date you and willing to drop doctor-patient relationship
17) gave you a free membership to an elite golf club anywhere in the US after you saved them from a crippling stroke
18) admitted their chronic diseases ought not be seen in the ED, apologize, and then write a good review for you
19) paid you $200 cash as a copay
20) never asked for dilaudid, even if they have 46 broken bones and internally bleeding.

that's like 2/3 the joy that Relisten.net gives.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Fine I will listen to Red Rocks 82 while playing 15 simultaneous chess games on Chess.com
We shall see.

The problem is the recordings are shiite. The first of three shows at Red Rocks 7/27 the drummers are high on the mix, jerry vocals, and other such stuff.

What's your chess.com ELO/Rank for your daily games? Would play with you if it isn't woefully lopsided towards one or the other of us. I'm at 1290.

I’m about 1520, ready to drop below it because I’m losing several of those games. We can play! DM me your profile I’ll start a 3 day increment game.

ATTN: @Birdstrike
On this podcast the main songwriter for The National, Aaron Dessner, discusses his creative process, including working with Taylor Swift

Oh yeah, s'pose that would help :1geek:
Awesome. Listened to the whole thing. Thanks! Super interesting. I noticed there's one right above it with Matt Berninger. I'm gonna check that out next.

Awesome. Listened to the whole thing. Thanks! Super interesting. I noticed there's one right above it with Matt Berninger. I'm gonna check that out next.
I checked it out, it's also good! That podcast has great interviews with a number of musicians. Did you notice that Matt Berninger repeatedly mentioned that he wants to impress The Walkmen(!) with his songwriting?

I checked it out, it's also good! That podcast has great interviews with a number of musicians. Did you notice that Matt Berninger repeatedly mentioned that he wants to impress The Walkmen(!) with his songwriting?
He’s a big Walkmen fan, I guess. Or maybe he’s friends with them, or something. Pretty random, though. Lol.

Last edited:
He’s a big Walkmen fan, I guess. Or maybe he’s friends with them, or something. Pretty random, though. Lol.
I think it's that he respects their work, so it'd be a high compliment if they liked his work. Didn't he also say he would like to impress Swift & Bridgers?

I think it's that he respects their work, so it'd be a high compliment if they liked his work. Didn't he also say he would like to impress Swift & Bridgers?
I think so. The weird thing is, Swift has publicly said The National is her favorite band. Bizarre, since they’re so different. But understandable in the way she has explained it (Zane Lowe interview) because the lyrical style is so different, from hers. She actually went to them and asked for the collab (with Dessner) which is so random, but interesting at the same time. He’s got to be the most un-Swiftian guy of all time, when you listen to him. Got to give her credit: Not afraid to take chances and challenge herself artistically.

I get the Bridger’s connection a little more, since she’s a more committed Indy-type and has a rock band (Boy Genius).

Can't recall if I've posted this before, but I think a lot of the folks on here would enjoy this super chill guitar-centric album:

On this friday evening I'm listening to 7/29/82 buzzed on some scotch after an esteemed poster recommended it.
Hope it all goes well. :) I'm skeptical of the 80's.

Highlights of 7/29/82 (7/29/82 Grateful Dead)
(I'll edit this as I have more musings)

- FITD: I really don't like the song in general, but it's a pretty good version of it.
- Stranger: well i'm definitely buzzed now so it just goes...you know what I mean?
- Cold Rain and Snow: Now who doesn't like that to open a set? I mean It's not cold in Denver in July...but maybe they brought the rain and snow. It's just a great all around, standard rock song. It gets you there, gets you singing, and boppin in the crowd. There are few first set openers that exceed Cold Rain And Snow. On Mt Rushmore of Dead set openers.
- Crazy Fingers: I thought it was an Unbroken Chain! But it's not! I was tricked. Silly me. I should have realized Unbroken Chain was played in the last few years of their career, despite being written in the early 70s, 20 years earlier.
- interesting position of GDTRFB. It's usually AFTER wharf rat. Well...who cares. DAMMIT i would care. Given what I know...if I were at this show I would think NFA or Sugar mags would come after GDTRFB. But those ain't! It's one of jerry's all time best Wharf Rat.

Last edited:
On this friday evening I'm listening to 7/29/82 buzzed on some scotch after an esteemed poster recommended it.
Hope it all goes well. :) I'm skeptical of the 80's.
'80 - '82 can be real good, because Jerry's can still sing.

4/6/82
7/31/82 and
8/7/82 are all excellent

• Haha
Highlights of 7/29/82 (7/29/82 Grateful Dead)
(I'll edit this as I have more musings)

- FITD: I really don't like the song in general, but it's a pretty good version of it.
- Stranger: well i'm definitely buzzed now so it just goes...you know what I mean?
- Cold Rain and Snow: Now who doesn't like that to open a set? I mean It's not cold in Denver in July...but maybe they brought the rain and snow. It's just a great all around, standard rock song. It gets you there, gets you singing, and boppin in the crowd. There are few first set openers that exceed Cold Rain And Snow. On Mt Rushmore of Dead set openers.
- Crazy Fingers: I thought it was an Unbroken Chain! But it's not! I was tricked. Silly me. I should have realized Unbroken Chain was played in the last few years of their career, despite being written in the early 70s, 20 years earlier.
Friend of the Devil is great! But only when they play it fast, in the early years, like it is on the album.

Stranger....meh.

Cold Rain and Snow: ALWAYS a banger!

Crazy Fingers: That song has the magic.

Unbroken Chain...is a cool song. It sounds unlike anything else they ever did. Apparently Phil hated playing it because it was "too hard" to play live.

I have a soft spot for Unbroken Chain, and other Phil songs that I like far more than his singing abilities would warrant.

I have a soft spot for Unbroken Chain, and other Phil songs that I like far more than his singing abilities would warrant.
Yes. The weird about Phil's singing is, if you listen to the outtakes and individual vocal tracks from the American Beauty sessions, he actually sings very well. He hits high notes in backing vocals very well. Somewhere along the line he trashed his vocal cords and was never the same.

Making my way through your playlists, btw. There's some good stuff in there.

Enjoying 6/6/91 Deer Creek

I’m not a big keyboard guy, but Hornsby is so good here, he alone is worth the price of admission.

All Along The Watchtower is a highlight, but the whole show is solid.

A Deadhead patient of mine gave me this today as a present

IMG_3093.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm, can you wear that? I certainly wouldn't wear a USMC hat, as I've never served.
Well, if you have family members that were Marines, that's easy to say. I had a USC (South Carolina) plate on my BMW when I lived in SC, because my best friend got his graduate degrees there, and I was proud of him. Many parents wear mil ball caps because their children serve.

By the same token, does that mean sports fans shouldn't wear sports memorabilia, because they didn't play? Same idea.

Oh, and, why so specific on USMC?

Hmm, can you wear that? I certainly wouldn't wear a USMC hat, as I've never served.
It’s a Marine-Deadhead hat? Lol

What’s the USMC connection? I don’t get it

Last edited:
It was just a joke fellas. Some Deadheads I've met tell tour stories as if they're recounting 'nam, that's all. Well, I was playing on that + the fact that I think Birdstrike was never "on the bus".