For VCU, what does this mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeffsimz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we may be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to, you will be notified by e-mail."

I take it I'm hold? Any thoughts would be great.

Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

yup...sorry, but what they are saying in a nice way is: "You're file is good, but not good enough for an interview at this point. We're gonna wait to see how many better applicants come in before we offer you a secondary." it's bull****, and schools should just say what they mean. sorry, but good luck, you still have a chance.

Yup, VCU/MCV is completely computerized. The file reviewer assigns a 1, 2, 3, or "reject" Priority Score to your file on the first go through. They interview all the 1's, fewer 2's, and rarely 3's as they come up. I'm guessing they're still trying to interview all the 1's this early in the season, so that doesn't mean that you'll never get an interview.

It's still a pain in the neck for them to make applicants wait, but hey, at least you're not of the 80% with a rejection right? Keep ya head man, this application cycle is long and arduous with no end in sight. Good luck!

deez

Members don't see this ad :)
Went to grad school at VCU so I know the in and outs of the med school. Its a friendly rejection.

i'm assuming this is a flat out rejection as well? :(

The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

Once your file was complete, how long did it take for them to reach a decision? I've been waiting a little more that 4 weeks and no word.

these are my thoughts, take them for what they're worth:

i don't agree with the previous posts that "it's a sign of rejection, etc" I had the same status for about a week, then it changed to an interview a week later! if they weren't interested in you, they would tell you "we're no longer going to pursue your application".

some more info, i just interviewed yest and they said they currently have about 3600 applications and it's only october. last year they had about 4000 for the entire cycle! so, that also probably is impacting things...

bottom line- just sit back and enjoy the ride. it's kind of fun to not know your future, kinda. yeah. ok nevermind it's not :)
good luck

Jon

thanks for the help guys........my decison took almost 6 weeks.....i was complete as of September 2.

Jeff

My file was complete on 9/25 and I got the you're on hold message on 10/10. I retook the MCATs this Aug and don't know my scores yet (should have them on 10/14) so I'm not sure why they didn't wait...of course that doesn't mean my status can't change.

hey don't lose hope!!
I got the exact same message, putting me on "hold."
I was so disappointed and thought it was a "kind rejection letter" too. But to my surprise, one week afterward, I received an invitation to interview. So don't think it is the end. Good luck!

Originally posted by Ruby27
hey don't lose hope!!
I got the exact same message, putting me on "hold."
I was so disappointed and thought it was a "kind rejection letter" too. But to my surprise, one week afterward, I received an invitation to interview. So don't think it is the end. Good luck!

did u find out via email?

Yes, i received an email informing me to check the status page, which had the interview invitation.

Everything they send out is email. It ususally goes out around 5 pm. at least it did 2 years ago.

And a hold is NOT BAD. It just means they aren't ready to interview you yet. Give them a few months and then call them. My friend did last March, they had a spot that week, interviewed her and she was accepted three weeks later.

I got the same e-mail as the OP....and trying to figure out what it means. Well if they change your status, lemme know.

Originally posted by echostation
i'm assuming this is a flat out rejection as well? :(

The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

Echo, I got that same notice. Then..all of a sudden, I got an invite for an interview. I received that message on a Thursday and the interview was for the following Tuesday, so keep checking your email because you may get an invite, good luck!...:)

Originally posted by highclass
Echo, I got that same notice. Then..all of a sudden, I got an invite for an interview. I received that message on a Thursday and the interview was for the following Tuesday, so keep checking your email because you may get an invite, good luck!...:)
Cool! That gives me some hope. How'd you like the school?

this is in response to the OP. i got that notice on my VCU status page exactly two days ago, on nov 12th. i was under the impression that i would be getting a rejection come feb or march. however, i got an email from VCU in regard to a status update TWO days later, on the 14th, and to my surprise, an interview invite! so DON'T get discouraged if you got that original message. you're luck will turn around, as did mine. good luck all and best wishes!

i forgot to add one thing...the emails i got from VCU were all sent out around 3am pacific time (which would be around 6ish in the morning on the east coast). i guess it's all automated, i doubt someone is actually awake at their office that early to send out emails, hehe.

Originally posted by phdmed07
Went to grad school at VCU so I know the in and outs of the med school. Its a friendly rejection.

That is not true!

I got the same message and four days later Joseph Weatherford called me to arrange an interview...

It is a STANDARD message that doesn't have much meaning....AND it doesn't mean you are rejected!!;)

Heb

Not to fret guys. VCU puts a lot of people on hold, then invites them for interviews shortly thereafter. Good luck and sit tight!

TF

I had the "you're not good enough, but we will keep you hanging" status from VCU a month ago. Woke up this morning with a changed status email that said I had an interview.

They apparently do pull people from this status list.

I was just placed on the HOLD list today so here's hoping I receive an interview soon.

Herp