for those with kids.. handing tough rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a second-year med student, and have a nine-year old. I'm curious to know what others with kids have done during those rotations where you pre-round before 5 am and end your days late in the evening (surgery, OB.) My husband has to leave for work before 6 am, and we generally haven't found any sitters that are able to take kids early enough to accommodate this. For now, it's a non-issue because I almost never have to leave early enough for it to be a problem, and can get him off to school. We will most likely start allowing him to be home after school for 1-1.5 hours after school by himself once he turns 10 (in compliance with local laws about this) but I am just not convinced he'll be able to get himself up and out the door for school. He's a dawdler like his mama when it comes to getting out the door :whistle:

Oh, and obviously we'd rather not break the bank in the process. Thoughts? Experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh. I could write a book on this. Mainly because I've tried so many different things

I'm going to PM you & anyone else interested.

Ugh. I could write a book on this. Mainly because I've tried so many different things

I'm going to PM you & anyone else interested.

hahaha.............. interesting converstation. I will be starting OMS this year and have a 10 year old, a 7 year old, and 3 year old. My wife is a pharmacist. We have decided that she will go to PRN and we would live off of the loans to handle the situation. We didn't want to pay what she is going to earn working part time on the baby sitters, plus the this is the age of the children where they really develop their persoanilties and studying habits. We didn't want them to learn from the baby sitters and would it much rather be from their mom or dad. (I know its hard and not everyone can do it).