For those who know about how interviews are scheduled...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstrub

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to many programs...I have received one invite, one waitlist, and nothing from several programs that have already offered interviews.

I am just curious if it is the typical practice to offer multiple batches of interviews, or if interviews will be offered one at a time as programs solidify the confirmations of their lists. I am also curious if programs ever just let candidates wait indefinitely, including those they know they will not interview, as the interview season goes on.

I am just trying to prepare for what to expect, especially as the MSPE is coming out soon, and several programs I am very interested in have sent out their first round of interviews.

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

it's a mix. when i applied it seemed like some programs sent all their invitations all at once while others sent out invites on more than one occasion. you will also probably get off some waitlists. i got off of prob 2 or 3 waitlists last year. it's pretty early still. i think i got my first invite around this time and by november i still probably only had 2 or 3 invites. in the end i received 16 or 17 invites (something like that). i think the last invite i got was in mid december. i know people who got invites as late as mid january, so there is still plenty of time. best of luck.

We're going through the applications now. Every place is different - but this is a brief overview of what we are doing.

1) Every application is review by at least two faculty. There is no cut-off for USMLE scores or anything like that. Every application is assessed.

2) We have a standardized form that the faculty fill in that looks at most of the application including (in no particular order):
a) Undergraduate performance
b) Medical school performance/activities, generally in the first 2 years
c) Surgery clerkship grades
d) ENT clerkship grades
e) Other clerkship grades
f) USMLE Step I score. Step II is not looked at.
g) AOA
h) Research activities - clinical or bench
i) Presentations/publications
j) Leadership activities/positions
k) Letters of recommendation (up to 4)
l) A few subjective points on if we feel they would "fit"

3) All the points from these areas are compiled together and an over all score is given

4) Scores/applications are reviewed by the PD and Chairman and interviews are given on a rolling basis

As you can see, for us anyway, it is a very thorough and quite exhaustive process. We try to be fair to all applicants and do not automatically give an interview to someone who scores a 260, if other areas are lacking. Similarly, if you score a 220, but have other areas that shine, that's taken into account, too.

What this does mean, however, is that the process takes time. If you haven't heard something yet - don't panic. My guess is that other programs are doing the same and are trying to recruit great residents, too. It's OK to be nervous and anxious - we all went through the process. If it's taking awhile, it is probably because your application is being thoroughly read and the faculty are trying to get to know your potential, personality and teachability - which can be challenging to discern from paper documents.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leforte,

Thank you, as always, for your detailed and honest reply.

-G

PS: Undergraduate performance? I think Nirvana was the top band back then...

Leforte,
PS: Undergraduate performance? I think Nirvana was the top band back then...

How exactly does undergrad performance come into play? Are transcripts requested?

i think i got my first invite around this time and by november i still probably only had 2 or 3 invites. in the end i received 16 or 17 invites (something like that). i think the last invite i got was in mid december. i know people who got invites as late as mid january, so there is still plenty of time. best of luck.

Thanks. That's surprising but reassuring. Seems like ENT starts to ramp up as a lot of fields start to wind down.

I have applied to many programs...I have received one invite, one waitlist, and nothing from several programs that have already offered interviews.

I am just curious if it is the typical practice to offer multiple batches of interviews, or if interviews will be offered one at a time as programs solidify the confirmations of their lists. I am also curious if programs ever just let candidates wait indefinitely, including those they know they will not interview, as the interview season goes on.

I am just trying to prepare for what to expect, especially as the MSPE is coming out soon, and several programs I am very interested in have sent out their first round of interviews.

Thanks for your input!

I am also curious about this. I am just sitting in purgatory with many of the places I applied to. Could this potentially continue until March? Should I contact them and at least get a final answer?

We're still going through applications as well. It takes time.

Unlike the standardized forms used at LeFort's institution, I simply look at your photograph to determine whether you get an interview. I can see it in your eyes.

Unlike the standardized forms used at LeFort's institution, I simply look at your photograph to determine whether you get an interview. I can see it in your eyes.

Dammit, should have sprung for those blephs last spring.