For those who have Step I scores back, NBME 150 questions correlation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hallm_7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have already taken Step I and received your scores, what kind of correlation are you seeing with your score and the % correct on the released 150? Just curious how accurately the Medfriends.com calculator will predict Step I scores using the percent correct on the 150.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 230 (80%ish) about a week to 10 days before and a 252 on the real thing.

I got a 247 (85%) on the 150 questions and a 246 on the real thing. I actually thought the 150 questions were the same level of difficulty as the real thing. That's just me though.

I also think that many think the test is harder because they are really anxious and not thinking clearly.

I got 3 points lower than medfriends predicted from my free 150. However, I was 14 points higher than my highest NBME.
So the free 150 were more predictive for me, but if I took the test 10 times, I think the average would be closer to the NBME.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like I will be able to shed some light on this in about 4 weeks, since my last NBME was 228, but I took the 150 today and medfriends predicted a 247 :eek:

Sadly, the 150 were NOT a good correlate for me at all... 84% on the 150 (correlating to 247), 224/93 on the real thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy with my score, but it was definitely not as ridiculously high as predicted by the free 150, which were MUCH easier than my exam. *shrug*

I got an 85% on the Free 150. That correlated to a 249. I got a 259. So it's a good estimator for me, especially because I didn't give 100% effort on the free questions, so it should actually predict a higher score.

I got an 89% on the free 150 questions and scored a 240 on the test so my percentage overestimated my real score. In reality, I think my unlucky guesses in the behavior science area, which seemed more heavily emphasized than normal on my test, resulted in a lower score then my free 150 predicted. For some reason I always miss these questions even though they are supposedly the "easy" ones. In general, while I think the free 150 feels easier than the real test, which is probably due to the nonexistent stress level, I believe it can give a pretty good ball park estimate of your real score.

medfriends predicted my score exactly based on the free 150. The questions were much easier, but the correlation was right on.
89% on free 150 -> 257
Step1 257

I think from the free 150, medfriends predicted a 244. Actual score 247, so for me was right on in its estimation. Otherwise NBME form 1 (230) and NBME form 2 (234), so NBMEs underestimated.

I got 90% on the 150 questions (i didnt get a 3-digit score), which corresponds to 260 +/- 11 on the Medfriends.com predictor. my actual score was 261/99: good estimator in my case. i don't know how to use the raw % to estimate the score however.

Of note, i thought the real test was much harder than the free 150, and i came out of the real thing with fairly low confidence.

Try not to worry about your score correlations: just study as much as you can, as that will actually increase your score, whereas worrying/obsessing over how to predict your score will not.

Try not to worry about your score correlations: just study as much as you can, as that will actually increase your score, whereas worrying/obsessing over how to predict your score will not.

Yeah, I think it's a mistake for anyone to try to "predict" their score. If you're in the UW range you want (hopefully 70's) by the end of your studying & roughly in the score range you'd like on NBME's, you should be confident you'll hit somewhere in that range. I really don't see the benefit of having an accurate prediction over a realistic range. In fact, I think it can be potentially harmful to your preparation, as a high score prediction could lull you into a false sense of security, and a low score could freak you out.

I didn't think it was a spectacular predictive tool.

I got a 91% on the questions like 5 days before the exam; WikiTestPrep said it worked out to a 239, MedFriends said it would be a 262 [:laugh:]. My final score was between the two...within 15 points of either estimate. The best estimator for me actually turned out to be Kaplan's score estimator (underestimated my actual score by 1 point).

Members don't see this ad :)
Took free 150~ 1 week before. It predicted a 254, I got a 247. I thought it was a good estimation.

I took the 150 free via the prometric practice USMLE simulating real conditions and got 91% correct which according to medfriends correlates to a 262. Got a 254 on the real deal. As the other posters have stated the 150 free questions feel a lot easier than the real thing.

i did the free 150 3 weeks before my exam and scored 81% or 241 according to medfriends. at the time, this seemed way too high because a week before i had taken nbme 3 and scored only 216. but my real step 1 score ended up being 241! so in the end, the free 150 ended up being right on the money. kinda weird huh?

Free 150 the week before was 80% which medfriends puts at 239. Of this, an NBME, and the USMLEWorld practice test, the 150 was the highest "predictor". I ended up scoring a 254.

Free 150 the week before was 80% which medfriends puts at 239. Of this, an NBME, and the USMLEWorld practice test, the 150 was the highest "predictor". I ended up scoring a 254.

Whoa, thats a huge jump! Congrats! Did you take the 150 a lot earlier in your study period?

Whoa, thats a huge jump! Congrats! Did you take the 150 a lot earlier in your study period?

Yeah, I was shocked when I saw my score, I figured 240s if I managed to get a test that matched my strengths. I took the 150 maybe 5 days before the test.

i took the free 150 2 weeks before the real deal and the score conversion on medfriends for it was the closest to my real score of any of the practices (uw, nbme, and uw self assessment)
nbme 2 may 20: 209
free 150 may 29: 76% = 231
uw self assessment june 7: 226
real deal june 14: 232

Took the Free 150 today, got a 79%

I doubt the score estimator is accurate(it says I would get a 237)...but it seems from responses it does correlate a little bit. I actually did better than expected lol

Hopefully, it's true!!

everyone beats up on the Free 150 score, but I took it ~ 2 weeks before the real deal at my test site.

MedFriends prediction = 255
Actual score = 255

My NBME predictions ran mid 240's to low 260's in that general time period.

I just did 81% on the 150 free question 2011, fred V2. and my first Uworld assement was 209, so is that free score overinflated?

Thanks

I just did 81% on the 150 free question 2011, fred V2. and my first Uworld assement was 209, so is that free score overinflated?

Thanks

When did you take the UWSA?

If there was a gap of a few weeks, then maybe you improved!

When did you take the UWSA?

If there was a gap of a few weeks, then maybe you improved!

I did that Uworld assement1, 2 weeks ago, my test is 9 days away, so i was just hoping all that didn't mean nothing because my Uworld Q bank average is fairly low, 55% or so... :(

I did that Uworld assement1, 2 weeks ago, my test is 9 days away, so i was just hoping all that didn't mean nothing because my Uworld Q bank average is fairly low, 55% or so... :(

Two weeks is a lot of time! If you really put the pedal to the metal for the past 14 days, my guess is that you tremendously increased your knowledge base, and that is the reason you did so well on the free 150.

An 81 correlates to a 241. To be on the safe side I would subtract 15-20 from that score, and that puts you in the 220+ range. I'm not sure what your goal is, but I'd say you will be ready to take the exam in 9 days! Best of luck mate!

-Filla

Two weeks is a lot of time! If you really put the pedal to the metal for the past 14 days, my guess is that you tremendously increased your knowledge base, and that is the reason you did so well on the free 150.

An 81 correlates to a 241. To be on the safe side I would subtract 15-20 from that score, and that puts you in the 220+ range. I'm not sure what your goal is, but I'd say you will be ready to take the exam in 9 days! Best of luck mate!

-Filla

THanks FIlla!!!!!, i needed that encourgement, almost done, almost......
haha