For those who have interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azmatti

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All:
As I read this board, I can't help but notice that some of you are holding onto >15 interview spots or currently have more than several interviews scheduled for the same day. I congratulate all of you who have this problem :) . However, if I could ask you to please make your decisions about which interviews you will be attending sooner rather than later..... It would help all of us.

As Dr. Doan and others have pointed out, if you get 7-8 interviews, you are very likely to match. If you have >15 interviews, that's probably way too much and you are not likely to go to all of them anyways.

So please, please, make your decisions sooner....

Members don't see this ad.

azmatti said:
Hey All:
As I read this board, I can't help but notice that some of you are holding onto >15 interview spots or currently have more than several interviews scheduled for the same day. I congratulate all of you who have this problem :) . However, if I could ask you to please make your decisions about which interviews you will be attending sooner rather than later..... It would help all of us.

As Dr. Doan and others have pointed out, if you get 7-8 interviews, you are very likely to match. If you have >15 interviews, that's probably way too much and you are not likely to go to all of them anyways.

So please, please, make your decisions sooner....

Hey azmatti, I just ran into a girl the other day who's going on 20 interviews. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet most people are canceling interviews as soon as possible after they accept another that conflicts. Not that I have a ton, but if it helps, I'll start a list of the ones I've cancelled.

Take care.

I would recommend going to as many interviews as you can. Only cancel an interview if you can't make it or you would rather not match in ophtho than go to that program. Don't make any assumptions about your probability of matching. I know someone last year who had 12 interviews and didn't match. The 7-8 figure is only an average.

On the other hand if you know you can't or won't go to an interview, let the programs know asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,
Yeah, we should go to as many interviews as we can....
But if someone knows they can't make an interview, they should cancel it ASAP so to open a slot for someone else. And if you have tons of interviews, there is bound to be scheduling conflicts. I hope people cancel sooner rather than wait and cancel a few days before the interview.

RedHawk... From talking to many current ophtho residents, if someone interviews at 7-8 programs, they will most likely match somewhere.... unless they don't interview well..... The person that interviewed at 12 either doesn't interview well or by some freak incident, didn't match....

Morton... thanks and best wishes for you in the match....
Matti

I think it was a "freak incident", which is what I would want to avoid. I interviewed at 12 places and matched at number 7 (although my top 5 were "top 10" programs), so had I cancelled too many who knows what I'd be doing next year other than ophtho. Everyone has worked too hard and put in so much time getting into med school, getting good grades, step 1 scores etc to risk their future just because 7-8 is enough for "most" people.

Redhawk said:
Everyone has worked too hard and put in so much time getting into med school, getting good grades, step 1 scores etc to risk their future just because 7-8 is enough for "most" people.

I agree completely with this.

7-8 interviews IS NOT ENOUGH. The person that started this thead heard wrong. Don't screw yourself by playing the averages - because you easily can.

Since you are all stressing that 7-8 is not enough, what IS enough then? I guess you can say there is never enough, but at some point it does get absurd. How many interviews are enough? Also are we talking about offers or actually going to the interviews. There is no physical way to be at two places at the same time.

Cer

Hey Guys,
Let me re-state and clarify....

All I was saying is that on AVERAGE, if you rank-list 7-8 programs, you will match somewhere (generally speaking). Now if you have to go to 50 programs to rank-list 7-8 programs, so be it. Now if you are a bad interviewer.... that's another story. You can go to 125 interviews and still not match....

All I am saying is that you should not be holding multiple interviews on the SAME day or interviews that you know you won't go to. Some of our future colleagues are holding onto more than multiple interviews on ONE day. That's not cool .

Make your choices as to which interview you're going to sooner, rather than wait a few days before the interview to tell the program you're not going. It'll give other applicants a chance to go and interview.

Good luck to all....