For those struggling with rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic741

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had an aha moment a few weeks ago that has made rotations *infinitely* easier to get through that I wanted to share. Had been struggling with frustration at how often I was shadowing, just downright ignored by the attending, or how many countless hours were spent staring at the wall while they charted (somehow using only 2 fingers in the 21st century?).

My problem was that I had been too attached to the idea that I would receive good training on rotations. Then I realized that my goal was not to learn a lot and go see patients and be actively involved in patient care because having this false belief was just leading to a lot of frustration that was sometimes hard to hide.

So I changed my goal to completely let go of the idea that I would see patients or be engaged and challenged on a rotation and instead to completely "go with the flow" and do whatever the attending wanted me to. Want me to see patients? Awesome - that's what I'm here for. Want me to shadow? Awesome, I'll just be friendly and let go of that frustration of "WTF really?!". Want me to stare at the wall and silently let you chart? That's fine too because I've fully accepted that I've been assigned to enter a sensory deprivation chamber every day I walk through those hospital doors. At the end of the day I've let go about caring about the quality of my education and replaced that with going with the flow for the sake of a good evaluation that you're going to write of me.

Anyway, if you're like me and were hoping for a good experience but find yourself ignored by attendings who are burned out af... try just going with the flow and be the medical student they want you to be, not the active/engaged/eager student that you are. So there you have it, a way to beat the game.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
So you accepted that everything sucks and you’re completely on your own because nothing matters? I’ve been here since M1. Where you been, mang?

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
The key to third year is to treat it like second year. Do whatever bs needs done during the day and leave asap to teach yourself everything in the evening. Enjoy the highs and mostly ignore the lows. Even on rotations where you "do" a lot it would be far better served with half days and more time in the books.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had an aha moment a few weeks ago that has made rotations *infinitely* easier to get through that I wanted to share. Had been struggling with frustration at how often I was shadowing, just downright ignored by the attending, or how many countless hours were spent staring at the wall while they charted (somehow using only 2 fingers in the 21st century?).

My problem was that I had been too attached to the idea that I would receive good training on rotations. Then I realized that my goal was not to learn a lot and go see patients and be actively involved in patient care because having this false belief was just leading to a lot of frustration that was sometimes hard to hide.

So I changed my goal to completely let go of the idea that I would see patients or be engaged and challenged on a rotation and instead to completely "go with the flow" and do whatever the attending wanted me to. Want me to see patients? Awesome - that's what I'm here for. Want me to shadow? Awesome, I'll just be friendly and let go of that frustration of "WTF really?!". Want me to stare at the wall and silently let you chart? That's fine too because I've fully accepted that I've been assigned to enter a sensory deprivation chamber every day I walk through those hospital doors. At the end of the day I've let go about caring about the quality of my education and replaced that with going with the flow for the sake of a good evaluation that you're going to write of me.

Anyway, if you're like me and were hoping for a good experience but find yourself ignored by attendings who are burned out af... try just going with the flow and be the medical student they want you to be, not the active/engaged/eager student that you are. So there you have it, a way to beat the game.
If only every med student knew this before coming into MS3, life would be easier for them and for us; your attending. Too often I see med students think that their actions will heavily influence patient care. I tell them, third year is going through the motions of what residency will be like; round on patients, come up with a plan but in the end its just practice.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been blessed with amazing rotations, but I also get frustrated occasionally and this would be my advice (because it is possible to help direct patient care, do cool procedures, and overall feel like you are helping)....

Find attendings, whether they are on your rotation or not, who want to teach and let you do stuff... If you have to suffer through preceptors that don't care about your education then just suffer, study, and wait for an opportunity to go do cool stuff. Anyone that seems cool, whether PA, NP, CRNA, any specialty attending, introduce yourself, ask them if you can work on something they do (intubations.... and say bag valve mask first lol, lines, IVs, foleys, etc.). You will find out quickly who is cool and who isn't.

The more trust you build, the more they let you do. I realize this isn't possible for some people who see different people all the time, but it has served me well. I agree that just learning the content in the evening is the way to go, then hope you get a situation that reinforces it while at the hospital.

The key to third year is to treat it like second year. Do whatever bs needs done during the day and leave asap to teach yourself everything in the evening. Enjoy the highs and mostly ignore the lows. Even on rotations where you "do" a lot it would be far better served with half days and more time in the books.

Completely agree... although would change “leave ASAP”, to “get permission to leave”

Reactions: 1 users
Completely agree... although would change “leave ASAP”, to “get permission to leave”
Of course! Treating med school like any regular job I previously held was the best decision. It gives you perspective and you don't burn out.

Reactions: 2 users
Find docs that will let scrub cases on evenings and weekends and hang out. You will learn a lot from them and they will let you do stuff.

3rd year is complete BS, don't worry. The *******es in my class all of a sudden getting honors cause they could kiss ass well.

Got a mix of HP and P in first few rotations (IM and some outpatient nonsense) despite killing shelves because of non standardization of grading and preceptors being dicks.

Then I learned how to play the game.

Sucked up to everyone, pretended I was interested when all I wanted to do was go home and have a beer and play video games.

260s on steps 1/2, Got Honors in all other rotations, had a fantastic couples match.

Just play the game

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
edit: nvm

just learn to play the game

Last edited: