For those of you who have been accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonsterCookie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted into the GEP at RCSI, but I'm still undecided about going overseas for medical school (for the reasons of residency matches, tuition, leaving the country, and so on)...is anyone else in the same boat?

Time is ticking...:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry about that...I thought it was a stupid thing to ask so I deleted it haha...but I'll put it out there again.

Members don't see this ad :)
No offense but did you not consider these things back when you were applying (Back in November or earlier) or even when you were preparing for your interview?

Obviously its a very difficult path and one that will require an intensive amount of courage and dedication however at the end of the day, if you truly want to become a doctor it is an option you have to consider. It obviously takes a toll on an individual not only financially but also emotionally and mentally. Also many of the individuals (Roughly 80%) are also in the same situation, RCSI's program is designed for international students who want to study medicine. So if anything just speak with some students currently attending and they will tell you.

Good luck!

I was recently accepted into the GEP at RCSI, but I'm still undecided about going overseas for medical school (for the reasons of residency matches, tuition, leaving the country, and so on)...is anyone else in the same boat?

Is RCSI's the only offer of acceptance that you're currently holding?

Is RCSI's the only offer of acceptance that you're currently holding?

Yes; I applied to UCD's program as well, but I don't think my odds are that good because my GPA and MCAT aren't that spectacular (both of which probably weighs more for their evaluation considering they do not conduct interviews). I also applied to other health care programs in Canada (non-MD), but I won't find out those results until late April-early May. So it's a lot to think about...

S0B: I did take these things to consideration, but I applied a little late in the application cycle so I did rush things a bit...and to be completely honest, I didn't think I would get accepted (my confidence was literally shot after rounds of unsuccessful Canadian applications). When I got an interview invite, it's been on my mind non-stop, and it's even worse now that I have the time crunch...:confused: Yes, it may be naive on my part, but I think WAY too much--what if this and what if that--at the end of the day, though, I suppose there's risks with any path or decision...

Yes; I applied to UCD's program as well, but I don't think my odds are that good because my GPA and MCAT aren't that spectacular (both of which probably weighs more for their evaluation considering they do not conduct interviews). I also applied to other health care programs in Canada (non-MD), but I won't find out those results until late April-early May. So it's a lot to think about...

S0B: I did take these things to consideration, but I applied a little late in the application cycle so I did rush things a bit...and to be completely honest, I didn't think I would get accepted (my confidence was literally shot after rounds of unsuccessful Canadian applications). When I got an interview invite, it's been on my mind non-stop, and it's even worse now that I have the time crunch...:confused: Yes, it may be naive on my part, but I think WAY too much--what if this and what if that--at the end of the day, though, I suppose there's risks with any path or decision...
DO IT!!! An acceptance from RCSI is a golden opportunity and if this is your only acceptance what are you waiting for?

If you chose to not go then you'll likely be increasing my chances :-D Haha but definitely do what's right for yourself.

I am in exact same boat, was accepted at UCD today and unsure whether I want to make the commitment of packing up and leaving for 4 years. I am still waiting on my home school (UBC - results May 15) but I did not feel that great about my interview there and so am not holding out much hope (I felt fantastic about my interview there last year and was devastated to receive a rejection letter).
If I do decide to attend school in Ireland, I plan on applying to Canadian schools for one more year (during my first year in Ireland) and see what happens.

I have a great job here in canada (as a registered nurse) and it feels quite scary to give that up and move away. I also have concern with how I would make it work with my partner and her son, I would like them to come with me but I don't think his father will take kindly to hearing that his son and mother plan on moving to Ireland.

I am in exact same boat, was accepted at UCD today and unsure whether I want to make the commitment of packing up and leaving for 4 years. I am still waiting on my home school (UBC - results May 15) but I did not feel that great about my interview there and so am not holding out much hope (I felt fantastic about my interview there last year and was devastated to receive a rejection letter).
If I do decide to attend school in Ireland, I plan on applying to Canadian schools for one more year (during my first year in Ireland) and see what happens.

I have a great job here in canada (as a registered nurse) and it feels quite scary to give that up and move away. I also have concern with how I would make it work with my partner and her son, I would like them to come with me but I don't think his father will take kindly to hearing that his son and mother plan on moving to Ireland.

Just out of curiosity, if you already have a great job as a nurse then why are you getting an MD?

Just out of curiosity, if you already have a great job as a nurse then why are you getting an MD?

1) Greater autonomy
2) Greater responsiblity
3) See a wider range of patients in a given day compared to nursing
4) Utilize more scientific knowledge compared to nursing which I find quite fascinating (ie. in diagnosing patients and going over differentials) Nursing diagnoses are quite wishy washy..
5) Greater range of choice of practice environments (depending on which specialty one chooses).

None of this means medicine is necessarily better, it is just that I find the above list an appealing part of medicine.

Going overseas is definitely intimidating but there are a few things to consider. First off, you have the opportunity to go to med school at the end of the summer. Consider your alternative: not going to med school. Would you have to work at a job that you don't necessarily like or take more education that your heart isn't into? I always keep that in mind when the thought of going overseas gets overwhelming.

In terms of residency matching, if you read through these forums then you'll see its not a problem, especially when matching from RCSI. Medical students post about residency matches and their general consensus is that 1 person every 3 to 4 years isn't matched. Sounds pretty good to me, just use that as motivation when studying for your Boards/USMLES. Remember, medical schools in Ireland are prestigious and considered excellent on the world stage.

In terms of tuition, it is definitely hugely expensive and not something to be shrugged aside. My only advice to you on that is to keep in mind that with an MD, you will certainly be able to pay off any and all loans you have to take out. Becoming a doctor is not a profession where money is an issue.

As for being away from home for four years, look at it as an adventure. You'll be gone for only 4 years which isn't that long in the larger scope of things. You'll get a chance to see a new country, experience a new lifestyle and gain a new perspective. It will stay with you for the rest of your life and add to your character.

Hopefully this is enough encouragement for you to GO FOR IT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Going overseas is definitely intimidating but there are a few things to consider. First off, you have the opportunity to go to med school at the end of the summer. Consider your alternative: not going to med school. Would you have to work at a job that you don't necessarily like or take more education that your heart isn't into? I always keep that in mind when the thought of going overseas gets overwhelming.

In terms of residency matching, if you read through these forums then you'll see its not a problem, especially when matching from RCSI. Medical students post about residency matches and their general consensus is that 1 person every 3 to 4 years isn't matched. Sounds pretty good to me, just use that as motivation when studying for your Boards/USMLES. Remember, medical schools in Ireland are prestigious and considered excellent on the world stage.

In terms of tuition, it is definitely hugely expensive and not something to be shrugged aside. My only advice to you on that is to keep in mind that with an MD, you will certainly be able to pay off any and all loans you have to take out. Becoming a doctor is not a profession where money is an issue.

As for being away from home for four years, look at it as an adventure. You'll be gone for only 4 years which isn't that long in the larger scope of things. You'll get a chance to see a new country, experience a new lifestyle and gain a new perspective. It will stay with you for the rest of your life and add to your character.

I benefited from this. Thank you!

Couldn't agree more with this statement! Also Ireland is an awesome place to live in, especially the cities with the universities and med schools (Dublin, Cork ect.). Everyone I've talked to who's graduated from or are currently enrolled in Irish medical schools have had nothing but awesome things to say about their experience. Hope to see you guys there!

What are you guys doing until school starts?

I will probably work part-time for a bit, go to my cottage a lot, enjoy the summer and probably go to Ireland for a week or two to check out the city/school and find a place to live. you?

I will probably work part-time for a bit, go to my cottage a lot, enjoy the summer and probably go to Ireland for a week or two to check out the city/school and find a place to live. you?

Work part-time and travel a bit hopefully. I am also planning to go to Ireland a bit early to scope the place out. Just trying to find a job right now and I am having a bit of trouble. I am pretty sure its because when employers look at my resume its obvious that I won't be around for long. I have attempted to play down all the education/extra-curricular stuff but I do need to account for what I have been doing with myself. :mad:

Are you guys planning on going to RCSI? If so, I too am going to go early and scout it out a bit!

The important stat for me is how many matched in Canada that applied to CARMs. I have very little desire to do a residency in the states given that I have no desire to be a physician unless I can practice in my home country. Those stats are a little more difficult to come by. Furthermore, residency years in the states do not match those in Canada (they tend to be shorter with the exception of FM). So depending on which residency I chose I would have to do additional training and jump through hoops if I ever chose to return to Canada.

Working full-time for next few months. Then taking time off to travel, see friends, and find a place to live in Dublin!

I'd suggest to everyone who can afford it to try and take this summer off, and enjoy it as much as you can, you're about to have a very busy few years!

The important stat for me is how many matched in Canada that applied to CARMs. I have very little desire to do a residency in the states given that I have no desire to be a physician unless I can practice in my home country. Those stats are a little more difficult to come by. Furthermore, residency years in the states do not match those in Canada (they tend to be shorter with the exception of FM). So depending on which residency I chose I would have to do additional training and jump through hoops if I ever chose to return to Canada.

There is definitely no 100% guarantee that you will secure a residency spot in Canada. The only way to do that is to go to a Canadian medical school. If you leave the country for medical school you give up the guarantee of that. If you look through the forums you'll see that the medical students say the vast majority are able to secure a residency in the US or Canada. You have to be ready to do a residency in the US if you come study in Ireland. And yes, there are more hoops to jump through to get back to Canada after a US residency. If your desire to become a physician is centered around staying in Canada, choosing to attend an overseas medical school is a difficult way to achieve this, perhaps you should consider other options.

There is definitely no 100% guarantee that you will secure a residency spot in Canada. The only way to do that is to go to a Canadian medical school. If you leave the country for medical school you give up the guarantee of that. If you look through the forums you'll see that the medical students say the vast majority are able to secure a residency in the US or Canada. You have to be ready to do a residency in the US if you come study in Ireland. And yes, there are more hoops to jump through to get back to Canada after a US residency. If your desire to become a physician is centered around staying in Canada, choosing to attend an overseas medical school is a difficult way to achieve this, perhaps you should consider other options.

Even at Canadian schools the match rate is about ~95%. It seems that Ireland is only marginally lower based on the reports of past and current students on SDN.

Even at Canadian schools the match rate is about ~95%. It seems that Ireland is only marginally lower based on the reports of past and current students on SDN.

I would advise against putting too much stock in an anonymous online chat forum. The fact of the matter is that there is no reliable data that gives statistics on recent Irish med school graduates applying through CARMs. This uncertainty is what is making me think twice about moving overseas.

I would advise against putting too much stock in an anonymous online chat forum. The fact of the matter is that there is no reliable data that gives statistics on recent Irish med school graduates applying through CARMs. This uncertainty is what is making me think twice about moving overseas.

I would find it hard to believe that they are all consistently lying. For what to gain? Its not a conspiracy. I doubt the Irish schools themselves would want to pump out tons of graduates that are unemployed as well. They do have a reputation to maintain, this isn't the Caribbean...

I would find it hard to believe that they are all consistently lying. For what to gain? Its not a conspiracy. I doubt the Irish schools themselves would want to pump out tons of graduates that are unemployed as well. They do have a reputation to maintain, this isn't the Caribbean...

I wouldn't say that grads lie, no point really, about where they match. But I have been searching for that data as well especially with the upcoming squeeze on residency spots with new med schools opening in the states.

My impression is that Irish grads match better to US/Canada than if you went to the Carrib, but it's still not a guarantee.

https://sites.google.com/site/nimsaucd/ is one of the sites put up by the North American Irish Medical Students association, old one is here: http://www.cimsa.ie/wwwroot/

If you go to the documents link on the left hand side of the first site there are a couple of powerpoint slides on where people matched. But it's far from comprehensive. I would think people that didn't match would be a little more quiet about it, so it's hard to get statistics.

Maybe one of my classmates/other Irish compatriots has better sources/data than I do and can give you more insight by posting on this forum, though we are in the midst of midterms. Hope that helps.

Keep in mind that your school is not the only thing residency programs take into consideration when matching med school grads. It also depends on the competitiveness of the specialty and the location of the different programs. If 95% of Irish grads that apply to North America match then I highly doubt that you won't match because of your school. If you only apply to competitive programs like radiology in a city like Toronto then you will probably have a very difficult time matching regardless of which med school you graduate from.

Also keep in mind that the data changes from year to year as things do change, whether for the better or worse. For all we know, things may be very different 4-5 years down the road. The concern I have is that there are more and more students going overseas, yet the number of residency positions reserved for IMGs (in the first iteration of CaRMS) will not likely increase; there are very few IMG spots as it is, so it's going to get tougher with more students competing for those positions. According to my friends who are currently enrolled in Canadian medical schools (who participated in this year's match), even CMGs had a difficult time getting into the specialties they wanted...apparently some IMG positions (including FM) were purposely left unmatched in the first iteration so that unmatched CMGs and IMGs competed in the same stream for the second iteration...and in that case, CMGs will almost always be selected over IMGs.

Don't get me wrong...I'm all for giving it my best and being prepared for the obstacles, but I want to be fully aware of the risks down the road.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that the data changes from year to year as things do change, whether for the better or worse. For all we know, things may be very different 4-5 years down the road. The concern I have is that there are more and more students going overseas, yet the number of residency positions reserved for IMGs (in the first iteration of CaRMS) will not likely increase; there are very few IMG spots as it is, so it's going to get tougher with more students competing for those positions. According to my friends who are currently enrolled in Canadian medical schools (who participated in this year's match), even CMGs had a difficult time getting into the specialties they wanted...apparently some IMG positions (including FM) were purposely left unmatched in the first iteration so that unmatched CMGs and IMGs competed in the same stream for the second iteration...and in that case, CMGs will almost always be selected over IMGs.

Don't get me wrong...I'm all for giving it my best and being prepared for the obstacles, but I want to be fully aware of the risks down the road.

I admit I do feel somewhat bitter about some of the Australian and Caribbean schools who admit students with quite subpar GPA/MCAT (to put it nicely). We should also keep in mind that over 50% of Canadians studying abroad are at the Caribbean which is certainly in lower regard than Irish schools. Also a certain percentage of those studying in Australia will stay there (those who can). In addition, a significant percentage of those who go Caribbean will drop out or end up in the states. We will certainly be the best trained and most competitive IMGs on the market as long as we work hard, make sure we do electives and apply to residencies strategically. Hopefully Canada will increase the number of IMG spots as we rank rather poorly against other OECD nations for physicians per 1000 citizens. Canada is currently at 2.3 while the OECD average is 3.1. We have 5 million Canadians without family doctors and its going to get worse. It is even less impressive knowing that Canada is one of the more wealthy nations in the OECD.

I recently found out that I might be able to obtain a EU passport due to my heritage and will be looking into it within the next few weeks. Graduates of Irish schools with EU passports are guaranteed residency positions in Ireland. I recommend that anyone else that has this possibility to look into it as a precaution.

Last edited:
I recently found out that I might be able to obtain a EU passport due to my heritage and will be looking into it within the next few weeks. Graduates of Irish schools with EU passports are guaranteed residency positions in Ireland. I recommend that anyone else that has this possibility to look into it as a precaution.

Everyone has the possibility of marrying someone who holds an EU passport :D Haha

Everyone has the possibility of marrying someone who holds an EU passport :D Haha

irish-girls-2.jpg

:love:

No to burst your bubble :p but if you're a guy, my class ended up being WAY more guys than girls. It's something like 30-35% girls to 65-70% guys depending on who you ask.

No to burst your bubble :p but if you're a guy, my class ended up being WAY more guys than girls. It's something like 30-35% girls to 65-70% guys depending on who you ask.

Just out of curiosity, why would it depend on who you ask?

I think some people didn't realize how skewed the ratio was and thought it was closer to 50/50, which it's not. Just to give you an example, I pulled up one of the classes where we were split up into subgroups and the one I randomly chose there are 3 girls out of 18 guys.

I would think people that didn't match would be a little more quiet about it, so it's hard to get statistics.

This is the fact that a lot of people ignore when they talk about all the grads on sdn who were able to secure residencies.

This is the fact that a lot of people ignore when they talk about all the grads on sdn who were able to secure residencies.

To be honest I think it basically boils down to how badly you want to go to medical school and how hard you are willing to work. There is a risk with going to any international medical school but, the Irish medical schools are some of the best in the world and regardless of what the actual percentage of matching is, the vast majority of Irish grads can get back to North America. If you are willing to work hard and do all the necessary steps that foreign grads need to do to get back into North American than you shouldn't have any problem doing so. If you still think the risk is too high, there are 1000+ applicants who will gladly take your place.

That sucks for us dudes. I thought the ratio would be similar to how it would be at NA schools where it is about 55% girls. What is the dating scene like?

to be honest i think it basically boils down to how badly you want to go to medical school and how hard you are willing to work. There is a risk with going to any international medical school but, the irish medical schools are some of the best in the world and regardless of what the actual percentage of matching is, the vast majority of irish grads can get back to north america. If you are willing to work hard and do all the necessary steps that foreign grads need to do to get back into north american than you shouldn't have any problem doing so. If you still think the risk is too high, there are 1000+ applicants who will gladly take your place.

+1

Last edited:

Haha I was just kidding. My goal in going to Ireland isn't to find a wife but to become a doctor. Everything else is secondary, tertiary even...

. If you are willing to work hard and do all the necessary steps that foreign grads need to do to get back into North American than you shouldn't have any problem doing so.

Is this from personal experience or another Irish grad you know?

Well, I now have the full support of my partner and my parents to pursue medicine in Ireland, I guess I have run out of excuses (besides my own nervousness).

Last edited:
Anyone want to start a thread for those of us going to Rcsi? I saw there is one for ucc and nuig but none yet for Rcsi. What do you guys think?

Hey Alexander III, I just wanted you to know that I created an account here just to tell you how hard I laughed at this comment: Very.