For the people in MD/MPH programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okcomputer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the proper forum to ask this, so if it isn't I'd appreciate some direction.

Regardless, I was wondering if the people that are in MD/MPH programs, did you guys do a sufficient amount of volunteer work or work in public health prior to applying? I have taken a public health course and did other sorts of volunteer work but I don't think I can relate it directly to public health.

Also, I heard a rumor that if you are accepted into medical school, that after you take your USMLE part 1, you can submit those scores into any MPH program across the country and apply to get it. Is this true??? And if so, has anyone taken this route? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks a lot for the help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

okcomputer said:
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the proper forum to ask this, so if it isn't I'd appreciate some direction.

Regardless, I was wondering if the people that are in MD/MPH programs, did you guys do a sufficient amount of volunteer work or work in public health prior to applying? I have taken a public health course and did other sorts of volunteer work but I don't think I can relate it directly to public health.

Also, I heard a rumor that if you are accepted into medical school, that after you take your USMLE part 1, you can submit those scores into any MPH program across the country and apply to get it. Is this true??? And if so, has anyone taken this route? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

My SPH didn't care about my USMLE scores ... they only cared about GRE/MCAT scores. I think that experience is less important if you are a combined MD/MPH applicant ... although it seems like most of the MD/MPH people at my school had some sort of experience in their past.

I'm currently attending a MPH program at a school different from my med school. I applied during my 3rd year for a year away between 3rd and 4th. They only needed letters of rec, grades, and USMLE scores. I've done quite a bit of volunteer work, but not public health work per se. I think that being a medical student who has suficient passion for the field to spend an additional year and money to learn is usually enough. If you are definitely planning to go into medical school and do an MPH, I'd suggest applying to an MPH program after getting into medical school. Your range of opportunities (schools, programs, internships, etc) is much larger. Hope that helps.

okcomputer said:
Hello,

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen, you clearly have more clout as a medical student applying to MPH programs compared to somebody straight out of college, assuming you're in good standing (not failing).

Does anybody have trouble getting into an MPH program during or after medical school (perhaps with the exception of a few select SPHs)? From what I've heard, once you're clearly going to be an MD many schools would love to have you.

How possible is it for you to START with your MPH and matriculate into a MD program?

DRIAM7 said:
How possible is it for you to START with your MPH and matriculate into a MD program?

very possible. i completed my MPH at Drexel in spring 2005 and am now at U of Louisville med school. if you treat it like two separate degrees, there's no problem. however, i didn't get into Drexel med even though i was tight with the SPH dean and knew med school people, but i attribute that to Drexel and the fact that they already have 2-3 competing post-bacc programs with semi-guaranteed admission, so i was competing in a large pool for a small number of "nepotism" spots. however, i got into other med schools just fine, and i think having the MPH experience was nice on my application -- not to mention the fact that the MPH experience was good for me because i've got my eye on a larger prize and am *trying* to not become a cynical doctor.

DRIAM7 said:
I just applied to MD programs after my first year of my MPH program (for entrance 3-4 months after I completed my MPH), just like college kids apply betewen their junior and senior year. My med school of choice just happened to be at the same university as my SPH of choice.

DRIAM7 said:

It also depends on the program ... some SPH will not take students for an MPH unless they have another professional degree. If you do it before school it would have to be at a school that offers it to someone out of undergrad and from what i know those programs are all two years (compared to the combined degree programs which are one year).