For Students Accepted To Nova!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subedude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, for those of you who have been accepted to, or at least gotten interviews at NOVA, I have a few questions:

1) Degree or Not
2) GPA & OAT
3) Experience

I ask because I'm a sophomore at UF and I really really want to go to NOVA after my junior year(meaning I won't finish my degree), and I just want a feel for what others have done in my position. I plan on taking the OATs this summer, and applying as soon as possible pretty much. I currently have a 3.52 and if all goes well, I'll have around a 3.6 at the end of this semester (I'm taking organic 1 and bio 2 and they're going pretty well). I'm also going to take organic 2 next semester along with anatomy and physiology, and next fall I'm going to take biochem and microbio. Physics I'm going to get out of the way this summer at a community college back home hopefully..but I'll probably only have up to physics 1 for the OAT. I'm also interning next semester, like 8 hours a week I think. So, any responses and advice would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

you do not need a degree. In fact, after your second year at NOVA they give you a B.S. in vision science. So after your 4 years of optometry school at NOVA you would have B.S degree AND doctorate. Hope this helps!!!

wow really?? a B.S. and an O.D.? i didn't know that, i've always thought you just get an OD, and that the BS/OD thing is a thing they did in the old days. anyway, do all schools give a BS/OD? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
im not 100% sure but i think nova is the only school that gives a B.S and an O.D. When i talked to Fran from nova, she told me that after completion of your second year a B.S in vision science will be given.

Ya thanks, I didn't know that about NOVA either..but anything with regard to the other stuff??

Hey subedude,
I was just accepted to Nova with a 3.5 GPA, and 340 OAT, plus degree. Best of luck !!!!!!

Hey,

Your GPA is really good so all you need is an average OAT (320+) score to be accepted. Nova, in my humble opinion, is the easiest school to get into b/c it's the newest of them all. Good luck and keep up the good work!

i actually got in with a 310, so you don't necessarily have to have a 320+. Of course I had to balance out my terrible score with activities and experience. I am involved in school and community and I have been working in an optometrist's office for a year now.

3.5 cumulative GPA with a 320 OAT average. Will have a degree come May, but I honestly don't think it matters that much.

i really appreciate it..thanks..i really hope they don't care about a degree too much like you said..and if so, oh well, i'll just stay another year and finish my degree if i don't get in..

im not 100% sure but i think nova is the only school that gives a B.S and an O.D. When i talked to Fran from nova, she told me that after completion of your second year a B.S in vision science will be given.

NECO and SUNY also give a BS after a few years if you get in through their early acceptance program (each one has its own name). SUNY's may only be through qualified undergraduates with which they have agreements but I don't know about NECO. I think there are a lot more schools that grant the BS if you enter optometry school without one but you have to check with each school. Some, like NECO, won't require a bachelor's but will still prefer applicants with one. Depends on the school pretty much.

anyone else accepted to NOVA??...

Fran and the dean told me about the bachlors degree after completion of second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the 1st I've heard of getting a degree after two years at Nova, and I go there, lol.

C'mon class rep, we get a B.S. in vision science before we enter clinic. As for getting in without a degree, only one student in our class was accepted without a degree.

well that doesn't sound too promising but oh well, I guess I'm going to apply and see what happens

I got in with really bad stats so I'm sure you have a chance. Here are my scores.

1) B.S. in biological sciences
2) GPA: 3.19 OAT AA 330 TS 340
3) experience: just some job shadowing

I think the BS after two years of school at NOVA only applies if you entered without a Bachelor's degree. Pacific does something similar. You have to apply under the "Bachelor's degree Option" and if you are accepted, you will be granted a BS in Vision Science after your first year in optometry school. To be eligible, you have to have 90 credits to apply (generally 3 years of undergrad) and all of the regular prereqs. If you already have a degree when you matriculate, then you graduate with just the OD at the end of four years.

I looked at the student handbook and apparently you can get the B.Sc after 2 years, even if you have a degree from before.

:confused::confused:

That's weird. Do you earn enough credits for another Bachelor's in only two years? What would you do with that degree anyway? More initials for your business card? :D

Does everybody automatically get one, or do you have to do something special?

:confused::confused:

That's weird. Do you earn enough credits for another Bachelor's in only two years? What would you do with that degree anyway? More initials for your business card? :D

Does everybody automatically get one, or do you have to do something special?

Everyone gets one as long as they fill out the graduation form, and pay the fees.

to Lavender530...did you mean that you got in w/o a degree with those stats, or did you have a degree? thanks.

o and by the way, i called NOVA to try and speak to Fran, she wasn't available but her assistant told me that something like 20 kids got in on average over the past few years???? i figured that was total crap since it doesn't seem to be that way at all according to these forums so I think i'm going to call back and make sure I talk to Fran..

oops...I forgot to write that she said 20 kids got in on average WITHOUT A DEGREE over the past few years..sorry

so it seems like it's consistently around 4% who get in without degrees so i guess that about 5 get in every year according to these stats..whatever, we'll see how it goes..

I got accepted last month to NOVA with 90+ credit hours. When I talked to fran she was really cool about it. So it can be done. Goodluck :)

that's great to hear..thanks..how were ur stats/experience/OAT if you don't mind me asking??

No, I got a degree-a bachelors of science (b.s.). I meant I had bad stats in cum. GPA and science GPA and my OATs were pretty average.

I got in/ applied in early sept with

B.S. Biology from University of Georgia
GPA 3.67
OAT AA 320 TS 330 >>>>BAD=(

I think it helped that I had great LORs and decent GPA. Cuz the OAT score was really bad.

NOVA.. is a good school to a certain point, but dont put your eggs in one basket.

nova is a good school. Fran is a niceperson. known her for 3 years. got interviewed twice and got waitlisted, rejected twice. it was my stats pretty much that did not jive.

Welll i am a graduate student now. almost done with coursework in Barry University. hopefully ill have my 3.44 grad GPA, way better than my 2.9-3.0 ish undergrad . i paid the price for not doing well in undegrad hopefully taking courses like gross, histo, neuro, physiology will help. did 36 credits there in the option I-12 month program.

Fran is waiting for my grades this semester. hopefully i can hold on to my A's.

OAT scores.

AA= 320.... Chemistry... 320.... Organic Chm.. 350......Biology 310... QR/RC ..290/300

anyway i got to go and study. got finals soon. and to prepare for a Dec 20th interview at Pennsylvania College Of optometry. airfare and hotel is all taken care of already.

NOVA.. is a good school to a certain point, but dont put your eggs in one basket.

nova is a good school. Fran is a niceperson. known her for 3 years. got interviewed twice and got waitlisted, rejected twice. it was my stats pretty much that did not jive.

Welll i am a graduate student now. almost done with coursework in Barry University. hopefully ill have my 3.44 grad GPA, way better than my 2.9-3.0 ish undergrad . i paid the price for not doing well in undegrad hopefully taking courses like gross, histo, neuro, physiology will help. did 36 credits there in the option I-12 month program.

OAT scores.

AA= 320.... Chemistry... 320.... Organic Chm.. 350......Biology 310... QR/RC ..290/300

anyway i got to go and study. got finals soon. and to prepare for a Dec 20th interview at Pennsylvania College Of optometry. airfare and hotel is all taken care of already.

Thanks for the personal update, captain.

OAT scores.

wow I always thought that once you got to the interview they think your stats are good enough and they just want to meet you and see your communication skills

Also did you have any experience in the field when you applied?

wow I always thought that once you got to the interview they think your stats are good enough and they just want to meet you and see your communication skills

Also did you have any experience in the field when you applied?

how does shadowing a doctor at the Broward Eye institute for 4 months and another OD in Bascom Palmer for almost 1.5 years sound to you.. nova is a good school. fran helped me a lot, just i have this funny feeling about their admissions comittee for optometry and dental at nova.

nova is not allowed to tell you why a student got rejected because they had lots of legal issues, spoke to the vice chancellor. Marla Frohlinger ( im sorry if i got the spelling wrong). UHCO will tell you why you got rejected, ( grades , oat's, dont know exactly about the interview part).

i applied to 11 schools. just got to turn in a few things for NECO and ICO.

im just praying to god that i get in PCO at least. interview is on the 20th of december at Pennsylvania college of optometry. tickets, and hotel are done, just need some snow ware.. i have waited for an inteview out of state for a long time. im really going to rock it. its a good school, the cirruculum and the feedback from 4th year rotation students in bascom palmer puts a smile in my face. and i beleive in my heart it is best for me to go out of state, away from parents to pursue my goal of optometry. Fran will be getting my grades in a few weeks once im done in Barry. maybe an interview in January. but im not putting all my eggs in one basket .

Ya I know what you mean sharpshooter about putting all my eggs in one basktet..but I think that's what I'm going to do this year at least because staying in Florida is very important to me because all of my friends and family are here. However, I am only doing this because I'm applying without my degree this summer so I figure if I don't get in for Fall 09 I'll just wait another year and finish my degree then reapply, I mean I'll still be the same age as other students going into optometry schools. Just in case I change my mind about this, I'll probably end up applying to out of state schools next year was well just in case I decide it's not worth it to wait a year to try for NOVA again..thanks for your help though..to be honest with you and everyone else this post was directed to...I'm really more worried about the whole NON-DEGREE issue rather than grades and OATs.

I had my interview on October 10th, and got accepted on October 18th via email. I finished my application around september 23rd. They do send you an interview invite if your letter of recommendations are not in yet, but you have to make sure your letters are in before your interview date. You can even hand deliver them when you show up for your interview.

My #1 tip is to APPLY EARLY!

1) I will be graduating with a Biology major and Chem minor from the University of Houston

2) Cum GPA: 3.09 ---- Sci GPA: ~3.01 -------

OAT: TS-340 AA-340 ////
Phys-310
Bio-310
GChem-340
RC- 350
OChem-380
Math-360

3) Shadowed Optometrist at UHCO Clinic
Pre-Optometry Organization (Was an Officer)
Did Volunteer Vision Screenings

Reactions: 1 user
hey guys do you have to have a rec. letter from an optometrist to get in? Are three letters from science professors good enough?

hey, i haven't posted on this for a while..just wondering if anyone else has recently been accepted or at least interviewed at nova who wouldn't mind sharing...thanks

1) Degree or Not
yup
2) GPA & OAT
3.0; 360aa370ts
3) Experience
four internships at different settings, around 4 months per internship, with one being over a year, + leadership and work experience throughout undergrad.

G' luck!

oh, good job sharpshooter..let me know how it goes

1) BS in Biology (when I graduate in May)
2) 3.87 GPA and 350TS/340AA OAT
3) Shadowed 3 optometrists, went to UCBSCO Opto-Camp and a couple optometry conventions....and I just got accepted yesterday:)

330 AA OAT
2.9 GPA graduating in april 08 with degree in biology
worked for an optometrist for 7 years
Finished application in late november, invite for interview in early dec, accepted dec 23 :) see yall there!

hey, I haven't heard any news from anyone on this thread lately...just wanted to keep it alive lol...it's been a while so I figure more students have been accepted to NOVA since the last post, so if you could let me know your stats and stuff that'd be great!!! i'm really anxious lol...oh, and also, I just got a job in a local private practice where I do pre-testing and stuff like that, it's pretty sweet..hopefully that'll look good on my application! Another thing, I finally got in touch with Fran and introduced myself, and she actually took down my name and stuff and said she'd look forward to me applying!!!! very inspiring!!! but ya, anyone who'd like to share that'd be sweet...thanks