For ophtho friends: problems with AUA Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathan19103

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine got the following email from the urology match. Apparently there were huge irregularities, with top programs like Hopkins, Baylor, and the Clevelend Clinic not coming close to filling and applicants matching lower than they should. Just thought y'all might like to know these match systems are not error proof.

"The AUA Residency Match Committee's goal is to ensure that programs and students are provided with the fairest Residency Match results possible. After hearing concerns about this year's results, it came to our attention that there may have been a problem with our automated match process and that a manual audit was necessary. Upon careful review, we found that one of the criteria in the match was not applied correctly, causing some outcomes to be skewed. With this evidence, it is important for us to perform the match again so that all involved are given the opportunity to be treated fairly.

We know that this will change some results, but by applying the criteria appropriately, we are confident that the results will align with what you have come to expect from the AUA Residency Match. The new match results will be sent no later than Friday, January 28, 2005.

We appreciate your understanding and support as we make all efforts to uphold the integrity of the AUA Residency Match."

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting... Maybe we should consider bringing this to the Ophtho match committee's attention..
Not that I think that anything went wrong but since I have heard at least one fellow with 15 interviews going unmatched maybe there are others out there...

D

demspawn said:
Interesting... Maybe we should consider bringing this to the Ophtho match committee's attention..
Not that I think that anything went wrong but since I have heard at least one fellow with 15 interviews going unmatched maybe there are others out there...

D

The reason for the re-match is because it is program driven, especially by the big name programs. Any applicant driven challenge would not be looked upon kindly.

Look at the residents' lawsuit against the NRMP. Without discussing the merits of the case, the plantiffs were mocked by the defendants.