For FP Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortho060802

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you were an intern how were you able to bounce around from Medicine one month to Peds the next and the OB/GYN and not look/feel stupid the first couple days of the roatation while you reoriented yourself to that area?

Members don't see this ad.

Who says we don't look stupid the first couple of days? That's one of the most frustrating parts of being an intern in family medicine. Just when you get comfortable it's time to move on. It's a lot better when you are at an unopposed progrm, everyone is pretty understanding and helpful.

What would you do when it seems that the staff you work with don't realize this ?

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you do when it seems that the staff you work with don't realize this ?

Don't blame, don't complain, or make any excuses. Owe up to shortcomings and figure out what's wrong and fix it. You're an intern. Every attending and resident has been in that position before. Just do the intern's job better the next day: be ready, know your patients, get your work done, and read.

Every resident regardless of specialty rotates q month with a different team or service.

The bigger concern is when you have an intern who thinks they know everything. That's actually a problem. Those guys are unteachable because they don't know what they don't know and will kill somebody out of their own pride.

When you were an intern how were you able to bounce around from Medicine one month to Peds the next and the OB/GYN and not look/feel stupid the first couple days of the roatation while you reoriented yourself to that area?

Hell yea you look stupid. I always try to get survival tips from other residents before I start a rotation. The other thing I do is find out what the common things I'll be seeing/doing.

It's easier if you're at the same hospital with same computer/dictation/ordering system. Borrow logons and passwords if they're not.

After a while, you'll realize that there are different ways of doing things but the one constant is that you're there to take care of patients.

And there's a lot of overlap, so don't be intimidated. For me, learning fluids and asthma in Pedi helped me in Medicine. And doing abdominal and pelvic exams in Surgery and Gyn helps me in Medicine. OB and Pedi go together. Neuro-Ortho-Rheum. Ophtho and Neuro. Gyn and Endo. Cards-Pulm-Renal. Suturing in Surgery comes in handy when you're on Derm, OB, Gyn, and clinic. The list goes on... get my drift?