For DOs, apply through ERAS for MD and DO residencies soon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sense

Sensible User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At our orientation one of the doctors said that for the class of 2008, when we apply for the match we can apply through ERAS for MD and DO residencies. We no longer will have to apply through two different matches. I was wondering if anyone else has heard about that also and how would that work.

Members don't see this ad.

That is not even close to being a done deal. I'm sorry that they misled you. Right now the AOA is in talks with the NRMP about possibly combining the two matches. If all goes well, it'll happen, but there are some at the AOA that don't want to give up control over their own match.

If it does go through, though, you'd be able to rank MD and DO programs together in a single list. This would allow people to have a chance at MD programs & still apply DO without being pulled from the MD match. (as it currently works)

I'm on an AOA committee working on this issue, so that is where my info comes from. This is not the only committee working on this, but as of 2 1/2 weeks ago things were barely creeping along.

DrMom said:
That is not even close to being a done deal. I'm sorry that they misled you. Right now the AOA is in talks with the NRMP about possibly combining the two matches. If all goes well, it'll happen, but there are some at the AOA that don't want to give up control over their own match.

If it does go through, though, you'd be able to rank MD and DO programs together in a single list. This would allow people to have a chance at MD programs & still apply DO without being pulled from the MD match. (as it currently works)

I'm on an AOA committee working on this issue, so that is where my info comes from. This is not the only committee working on this, but as of 2 1/2 weeks ago things were barely creeping along.
Interesting. Well the doctor seemed like he knew what he was talking about. He did say the class of 2008 would be the first class to do this which would be in 3 years when we applied so maybe he figured the deal would be done by then or knows some inside information.

I hope it does work either way. It would be easier to apply and it would be great to have the opportunity to apply DO without being pulled from the MD match.

sense, beware what they tell u. many were told that the class of 2007 would be the first to take COMLEX on computer instead of being hunched over for 2 days, and it turns out that this is not the case. Welcome to med school!

Hey Sense,

Which faculty member told you that? Just curious.

Su4n2 said:
sense, beware what they tell u. many were told that the class of 2007 would be the first to take COMLEX on computer instead of being hunched over for 2 days, and it turns out that this is not the case. Welcome to med school!

The Class of 2007 will be the first to take COMLEX on the computer in October 2005. Of course, if you pass in June, then this is a moot point.

of course it would be moot for most of us, i mean what kind of planning is that? why must things always be backwards?

DireWolf said:
The Class of 2007 will be the first to take COMLEX on the computer in October 2005. Of course, if you pass in June, then this is a moot point.

We were just told less than 2 weeks ago the Class of 07 would be taking the written exam in 05. Can somebody post something official looking that clears this up?

You guys will take the written version in June. If you fail, you'll retake with the computerized version in Oct. After that, they'll always be the computerized version.

DrMom said:
You guys will take the written version in June. If you fail, you'll retake with the computerized version in Oct. After that, they'll always be the computerized version.

DrMom, thanks for having my back. :thumbup:

DrMom said:

DrMom-
Who can we cajole/harass/beg/email/call/letter-write/date-the-daughter of that could shove this thing along.

Take up the Cry! "'07 Needs a Combined Match!!"
Thanks for the updates.
F

fuegorama said:
DrMom-
Who can we cajole/harass/beg/email/call/letter-write/date-the-daughter of that could shove this thing along.

Take up the Cry! "'07 Needs a Combined Match!!"
Thanks for the updates.
F

There is a tiny chance of this happening for 07. I'll know more in Sept.

I'll see if I can figure out who the best person is to send a letter/email to. :)

speaking of combining things, does anyone know where i can find a list or some source about which programs are dual accredited? i can't seem to find anything useful on the aoa website.

thanks in advance! ;)

Use the AOA opportunities search engine and find out if each program is dual-accredited by clicking on them.