For current O.T.s: Difficulty of an o.t. program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentgorgeous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, ( I am a new member of SDN :) )
Here’s my dilemma….
I want to do a master’s program to boost up my undergrad marks… they are not all that bad really but I have my mind set on doing a master’s first… to see if I really want to do dentistry!
Ok so I know it is a good idea to do a non-thesis program…I am thinking of doing occupational therapy! That way, even if I don’t wanna do dentistry after, I have a degree I can count on…What’s the difficulty level of an o.t. program… can you ace it?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on how smart you are :) Why are you looking at going through an OT program? Just to improve your GPA? No offense, but as a practicing OT, I think you should save the spot for someone who actually wants to become an OT and who has a passion for it...not someone who is just looking for an easy A. Pretty disrespectful in my opinion.

hi there

First of all, OT is a hard course of study. Not to say people cannot ace it, but its challenging. Second OT is a career, its not something that should not be taken as a stepping stone to move on to something else. Third if you want to do OT you to understand what OT was before you get into it, so I would suggest to do some shadowing or volunteer work, which is a requirement before you enter any school. What Im trying to say is the profession doesn't need people that take the profession lightly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dent,

I echo caduceus27. I would figure out if you WANT to dentistry first. If your UG grades are not that bad what prevents you from applying to dent. programs now? If you're sure you want dent and need to boost your gpa I would not recommend OT. REPEAT LAST SENTENCE. For OT, you have to complete your class-based coursework first and then spend another 24 weeks in clinical rotations or "fieldwork". I would look at either retaking some classes or do a 1 year grad program.

Dentgorgeous, you would need to double-check this, but I'm pretty sure that a masters program (esp. a professional one) would not do anything for poor undergrad grades. These grades are calculated separately....esp. since OT doesn't have much to do w/ basic sciences or dental prereqs. I doubt acing an OT program will put you any closer to a dental school acceptance. Now if you are absolutely completely set on doing dentistry, I would suggest an SMP instead. Most students in SMPs will probably be premeds, but there should be a number of pre-dents. Maybe google some dental-specific SMPs to see if there are any out there or ask around in the dental forums. That would be the best way to strengthen your application for dentistry.

If you are looking for a fallback career...why not dental hygienist? That way, the career gives you exposure to dentistry (good for application) and if you do not get into dental school...you have a fall back career. OT can be a fall-back career for you too...but then it's not going to get you any closer to dental school.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to apply as a post-bacc to improve your undergrad marks. Taking classes at a Master's level does nothing for your undergrad.