For anyone who has ever interviewed at MCO...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsdude00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the interview like at michigan?

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed there last week.

There were 2 other people interviewing with me. When I got there I went and had to write an essay. It was really short, only a paragraph or two, and they gave a choice of 4 questions.

After that I went in for my interview. They told me I would be interviewing with 3 people, but I only ended up with 2. (They told me who it would be ahead of time). It was really laid back. They asked a lot of the basic questions...why optometry? what is your experience? extracurriculars? etc. To me, it seemed more like they were more concerned with selling their school to me than they were about interviewing me.

Then I went on a tour of the school. A second year did the tour and didn't know too much about the clinical stuff since he hadn't started in there yet. Not too exciting.

Then we had lunch. They just had little box lunches made for us. We ate with the guy who did the tour and another professor came and ate with us too. I thought he asked us tougher questions than the actual people interviewing me.

After lunch the admissions secretary took us all on a car tour of the Ferris campus and Big Rapids area.

Overall, I think the interview was not stressful at all. I expected it to be pretty tough, seeing as they only have 36 people in each class, but it wasn't at all.

Are you interviewing there soon?

yes, i'll be interviewing there in the upcoming weeks.
what was the essay about? is it more about yourself, or what you know about optometry?
also, what did the professor at lunch ask you?
thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a whole interview section for this site... you should check that out too. It's really helpful.

They essay was more about you and your opinion on things. The one I wrote about was whether or not you think that ethics and values should be taught as part of the curriculum at college or if it should just be strictly academics.

I guess the questions he asked weren't really that tough, but the way he asked us made it seem like he was trying to drill us. He was asking what we didn't like about our school, what our "dreams" were, that kinda stuff.

Good luck to you!

They essay was more about you and your opinion on things. The one I wrote about was whether or not you think that ethics and values should be taught as part of the curriculum at college or if it should just be strictly academics.

I guess the questions he asked weren't really that tough, but the way he asked us made it seem like he was trying to drill us. He was asking what we didn't like about our school, what our "dreams" were, that kinda stuff.

Good luck to you!

wow that sounds interesting!
well, i say that now, but i wont think so during that time..i'll be too nervous haha