For all those Canadians considering Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asd979

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for any Canadians who are considering Ireland as an option for their medical training:

4-5 years ago I was in your position, ecstatic at receiving an acceptance to UCC so I could complete my dream of becoming a doctor. If only I knew what I know now, I would have made a greater effort to get into a Canadian school and avoid the trouble I find myself in currently.

I didn't know what field I wanted to enter initially, but after a couple of years here I had decided that FM was my calling. As a Saskatchewan resident who wanted to return to the province, I knew that I had an advantage over my classmates in that only Saskatchewan residents could do electives in the province. I had offers in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Manitoba, but ended up turning them down as I felt that Saskatchewan was my best shot. I figured a Sask boy born and raised there, with solid electives and letters from the province would be exactly what they were looking for. I also assumed my FM electives and letters would serve me well for my CaRMS application in other provinces. I had figured my chances for a match in FM would be strong as a result. It turns out my thinking was flawed.

Initially I was thrilled to get 5 interviews in Saskatchewan. I figured it meant I did something right. However, I was rejected continuously from every other location in the country. I realized this was the first mistake I made. But considering I wanted to return to Sask, I figured it didn't matter anyway. It wasn't until my interviews began that the enormity of my error became apparent. The sheer number of IMG candidates being considered was shocking, especially for a single place in each location. (Of course some places would take more IMGs on top of the designated spot in previous years) I still figured I had a leg up on most of them due my being from the province. I didn't feel as if all my interviews went well, but by the end I felt I had done a good job representing myself in the majority.

Round one match day rolls along. I open up CaRMS in excitement to see where I would be going to that summer. Instead, I received the dreaded "We regret to inform you that you did not match." I was floored. Honestly, I was shocked. I thought I had done everything right. I spoke to an R1 friend of mine who informed me that the province simply took fewer IMGs this year due to the increasing interest in FM from the CMGs. I later realize that I also didn't interview as well as I could have, thus hurting my chances.

I then go through round 2, applying to any FM and IM position available. Again, and with no surprise, I only receive Saskatchewan interviews, though I was caught off guard with an interview offer for Saskatoon IM, considering my lack of IM electives and letters. This time I was determined not to let a poor interview be the reason of not matching. I prepared extensively this time around, asking advice from all my friends who matched and getting any interview tips I could. I felt that my interviews were much stronger this time around and I was informed that I had done well in one of my interviews. I thought this time around I must have a good shot.

Today was the second match day. I did not match. Again. Now I am in limbo, unsure of my future. I did not apply to the US initially, because I had no interest and thus did not complete Step 2 CS. My odds are greatly diminished by being a year further away from graduation when I apply again next year. I also have to complete the NAC OSCE as well as write QE1 in order to be eligible again for many programs who require them. In addition, I also have to find a way to strengthen my CV and application. Whether this is by a Masters, or a teaching fellowship, or simply by trying to defer graduation to allow additional electives to be done, I don't know yet.

The point of my story is that I wish I had been patient and exhausted all possibilities before coming to Ireland. I am currently 300K in debt, with no job and no income to pay it back leaving my parents responsible financially. My odds of matching will grow smaller and smaller each year, to the point where I may have to consider a career outside of medicine. Don't come here unless you are deadset on medicine as a career, and believe it's your last choice. My friend (who went to Caribbean school) is in the same position as me, except this is his second year failing to match. We can both tell you that it is absolutely soul crushing to get the rejections.

I don't want to tell you that you can't match in Canada if you go to an Irish school, because that would be a lie. Many of my friends matched in great programs, and I met other wonderful Canadians at the other Irish schools throughout my interview travels that also matched. However, it is becoming increasingly difficult to match and even getting first or second round interviews is tougher than it used to be.

My final piece of advice: if you decide to ignore what I've said about coming here, at least listen to this part. If you want to be the strongest candidate you can be, study for the USMLEs and EEs as early as possible. This means start studying for Step1 from day 1. Start studying for step 2 and EE from the moment 2nd year starts. These scores are crucial for getting some interviews, especially FM in Ontario. Ontario will not consider you for FM first round unless you're near 99th percentile. This is also the material your schools will examine you so you're killing two birds with one stone. GET INVOLVED IN RESEARCH. I can't emphasize that part enough. Some places only care about your research, so start as early as possible, even first year if you can. Ottawa EM loves research and will forgo a lower EE score if you've got publications, presentations and posters. U of T EM requires a 400 on the EE, minimum. If FM is your thing, do LOTS of electives, especially rural ones. If you have no desire for rural, then good luck to you because you better be stellar otherwise to get urban in most places. However, if you have good rural FM electives and letters you stand that much better of a chance when it comes time for the match. Try to have electives in various specialties you'd be happy doing, don't lock yourself into a single field like I did even though it was FM. FM is incredibly competitive now and isn't the easy match it used to be.

Best of luck to all of you, and I hope what I've said has given you something to think about.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
This is for any Canadians who are considering Ireland as an option for their medical training:

4-5 years ago I was in your position, ecstatic at receiving an acceptance to UCC so I could complete my dream of becoming a doctor. If only I knew what I know now, I would have made a greater effort to get into a Canadian school and avoid the trouble I find myself in currently.

I didn't know what field I wanted to enter initially, but after a couple of years here I had decided that FM was my calling. As a Saskatchewan resident who wanted to return to the province, I knew that I had an advantage over my classmates in that only Saskatchewan residents could do electives in the province. I had offers in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Manitoba, but ended up turning them down as I felt that Saskatchewan was my best shot. I figured a Sask boy born and raised there, with solid electives and letters from the province would be exactly what they were looking for. I also assumed my FM electives and letters would serve me well for my CaRMS application in other provinces. I had figured my chances for a match in FM would be strong as a result. It turns out my thinking was flawed.

Initially I was thrilled to get 5 interviews in Saskatchewan. I figured it meant I did something right. However, I was rejected continuously from every other location in the country. I realized this was the first mistake I made. But considering I wanted to return to Sask, I figured it didn't matter anyway. It wasn't until my interviews began that the enormity of my error became apparent. The sheer number of IMG candidates being considered was shocking, especially for a single place in each location. (Of course some places would take more IMGs on top of the designated spot in previous years) I still figured I had a leg up on most of them due my being from the province. I didn't feel as if all my interviews went well, but by the end I felt I had done a good job representing myself in the majority.

Round one match day rolls along. I open up CaRMS in excitement to see where I would be going to that summer. Instead, I received the dreaded "We regret to inform you that you did not match." I was floored. Honestly, I was shocked. I thought I had done everything right. I spoke to an R1 friend of mine who informed me that the province simply took fewer IMGs this year due to the increasing interest in FM from the CMGs. I later realize that I also didn't interview as well as I could have, thus hurting my chances.

I then go through round 2, applying to any FM and IM position available. Again, and with no surprise, I only receive Saskatchewan interviews, though I was caught off guard with an interview offer for Saskatoon IM, considering my lack of IM electives and letters. This time I was determined not to let a poor interview be the reason of not matching. I prepared extensively this time around, asking advice from all my friends who matched and getting any interview tips I could. I felt that my interviews were much stronger this time around and I was informed that I had done well in one of my interviews. I thought this time around I must have a good shot.

Today was the second match day. I did not match. Again. Now I am in limbo, unsure of my future. I did not apply to the US initially, because I had no interest and thus did not complete Step 2 CS. My odds are greatly diminished by being a year further away from graduation when I apply again next year. I also have to complete the NAC OSCE as well as write QE1 in order to be eligible again for many programs who require them. In addition, I also have to find a way to strengthen my CV and application. Whether this is by a Masters, or a teaching fellowship, or simply by trying to defer graduation to allow additional electives to be done, I don't know yet.

The point of my story is that I wish I had been patient and exhausted all possibilities before coming to Ireland. I am currently 300K in debt, with no job and no income to pay it back leaving my parents responsible financially. My odds of matching will grow smaller and smaller each year, to the point where I may have to consider a career outside of medicine. Don't come here unless you are deadset on medicine as a career, and believe it's your last choice. My friend (who went to Caribbean school) is in the same position as me, except this is his second year failing to match. We can both tell you that it is absolutely soul crushing to get the rejections.

I don't want to tell you that you can't match in Canada if you go to an Irish school, because that would be a lie. Many of my friends matched in great programs, and I met other wonderful Canadians at the other Irish schools throughout my interview travels that also matched. However, it is becoming increasingly difficult to match and even getting first or second round interviews is tougher than it used to be.

My final piece of advice: if you decide to ignore what I've said about coming here, at least listen to this part. If you want to be the strongest candidate you can be, study for the USMLEs and EEs as early as possible. This means start studying for Step1 from day 1. Start studying for step 2 and EE from the moment 2nd year starts. These scores are crucial for getting some interviews, especially FM in Ontario. Ontario will not consider you for FM first round unless you're near 99th percentile. This is also the material your schools will examine you so you're killing two birds with one stone. GET INVOLVED IN RESEARCH. I can't emphasize that part enough. Some places only care about your research, so start as early as possible, even first year if you can. Ottawa EM loves research and will forgo a lower EE score if you've got publications, presentations and posters. U of T EM requires a 400 on the EE, minimum. If FM is your thing, do LOTS of electives, especially rural ones. If you have no desire for rural, then good luck to you because you better be stellar otherwise to get urban in most places. However, if you have good rural FM electives and letters you stand that much better of a chance when it comes time for the match. Try to have electives in various specialties you'd be happy doing, don't lock yourself into a single field like I did even though it was FM. FM is incredibly competitive now and isn't the easy match it used to be.

Best of luck to all of you, and I hope what I've said has given you something to think about.

Thank you for the advice and the insights.
Have you considered applying for internship in Ireland? I know as a non-EU, you are at the bottom of the list, but I also heard that there were always spots available for non-EU at the end.

It depends on how much you think one of those spots would help your CV or application. As non-EU the chances of getting a good intern spot are essentially zero, meaning there's a strong possibility of getting a position where you're a glorified phlebotomist/line inserter for a year. Is that going to help my application? I'm not so sure. Trying to set up more clinical electives in Canada would probably be a better use of my time to be honest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sobering advice. Honestly, a string of bad news recently. I would have thought Sask FM would be one of the easiest places especially for someone who did electives in Sask FM and was originally from Sask.

Good luck, I really advise you to write the CK and CS and try to match to the US. Taking 1 year off really makes little difference, actually you aren't even allowed to apply to the US directly from med school if you aren't an american citizen due to needing an ECFMG cert which can only be given after you graduate.

Sobering advice. Honestly, a string of bad news recently. I would have thought Sask FM would be one of the easiest places especially for someone who did electives in Sask FM and was originally from Sask.

Good luck, I really advise you to write the CK and CS and try to match to the US. Taking 1 year off really makes little difference, actually you aren't even allowed to apply to the US directly from med school if you aren't an american citizen due to needing an ECFMG cert which can only be given after you graduate.

You can most certainly apply to the US directly from med school even if you are not an American citizen. Many people I know (Canadian citizens) have matched to the US directly from medical school. Please be sure about what you are posting before you post it. You can misinform many people who come to these boards for advice.

Here is a link for more information on the requirements for ECFMG certification:

http://www.ecfmg.org/certification/requirements-for-certification.html

I'm sorry you've had such an experience. I'm currently a 1st year student and the advice I've been getting is definitely apply to both US and Canada. From my own research and looking at the various statistics, the US is definitely more friendlier towards IMGs than Canada.

Thank you for the advice and the insights.
Have you considered applying for internship in Ireland? I know as a non-EU, you are at the bottom of the list, but I also heard that there were always spots available for non-EU at the end.

Do you qualify for the special Family Doctors program in Manitoba for rural areas with return of service?

You can most certainly apply to the US directly from med school even if you are not an American citizen. Many people I know (Canadian citizens) have matched to the US directly from medical school. Please be sure about what you are posting before you post it. You can misinform many people who come to these boards for advice.

Here is a link for more information on the requirements for ECFMG certification:

http://www.ecfmg.org/certification/requirements-for-certification.html

Depends on when you graduate. I heard that you need to have graduated in order to apply for ECFMG because you need to submit your graduation certificate and your final transcripts, and it takes ECFMG 2-3 months to process this. You can't start residency without it. I'm not sure when different medical schools graduate but for the UK at least, graduation takes place just days before residency in the US starts, there isn't any time to apply for ECFMG without taking a year off.

Honestly, this is something i am quite sure of, i got this info from Killer T Cell who did say that he barely made the requirements to enter residency directly but only because he was a US citizen and didn't need to wait to get an ECFMG cert.

Depends on when you graduate. I heard that you need to have graduated in order to apply for ECFMG because you need to submit your graduation certificate and your final transcripts, and it takes ECFMG 2-3 months to process this. You can't start residency without it. I'm not sure when different medical schools graduate but for the UK at least, graduation takes place just days before residency in the US starts, there isn't any time to apply for ECFMG without taking a year off.

Honestly, this is something i am quite sure of, i got this info from Killer T Cell who did say that he barely made the requirements to enter residency directly but only because he was a US citizen and didn't need to wait to get an ECFMG cert.

It hasn't been a problem for any graduates at my school matching to the US since I've been attending here. Grad takes place at the end of May, so it's a non-issue.

It hasn't been a problem for any graduates at my school matching to the US since I've been attending here. Grad takes place at the end of May, so it's a non-issue.

I see, our grad is in June so I don't know if that one month makes a difference or not. If it is possible to match directly then that is good news for everyone.

To everyone above, you can apply to the US (even as a non-citizen) without taking a year off. I started on time, and my graduation was in June. Granted it was close, but it was done (and I had a June 22 start date). And my advice to others reading this thread, do not place all your eggs in one basket. It is absolutely correct that its competitive, so limiting yourself to a single country, or worse, a single province with electives could come back to ruin you. Apply broadly, for electives and residencies alike. The original commenter above noted you should exhaust all options before coming to Ireland. My advice is the same when applying to residencies, you should apply everywhere you're eligible (Canada and US, as well as abroad if thats something you would like to do) to avoid a similar fate. You will really hate the fact that you just didn't want to write those extra exams when you're sitting without a residency come graduation time. People have to be truly honest with themselves, would you rather not be a doctor than work in the US? If the answer is you'd rather be a doctor, then write all the exams!

Reactions: 1 users
To everyone above, you can apply to the US (even as a non-citizen) without taking a year off. I started on time, and my graduation was in June. Granted it was close, but it was done (and I had a June 22 start date). And my advice to others reading this thread, do not place all your eggs in one basket. It is absolutely correct that its competitive, so limiting yourself to a single country, or worse, a single province with electives could come back to ruin you. Apply broadly, for electives and residencies alike. The original commenter above noted you should exhaust all options before coming to Ireland. My advice is the same when applying to residencies, you should apply everywhere you're eligible (Canada and US, as well as abroad if thats something you would like to do) to avoid a similar fate. You will really hate the fact that you just didn't want to write those extra exams when you're sitting without a residency come graduation time. People have to be truly honest with themselves, would you rather not be a doctor than work in the US? If the answer is you'd rather be a doctor, then write all the exams!

Hey Lucky, how did you manage to get your ECFMG certificate before starting residency? I heard the process takes 2-3 months? Are you allowed to apply for the certificate before you graduate because I've heard that you are not allowed to start your residency unless you have your ECFMG certificate in hand.

You can usually start your residency before being ECFMG certified, although some programs may give you some grief for not being so. All grads from my 4 year Irish program who graduated in May were able to start their residencies on July 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can usually start your residency before being ECFMG certified, although some programs may give you some grief for not being so. All grads from my 4 year Irish program who graduated in May were able to start their residencies on July 1st.

I see. This is really great news.

You can't officially start without your ECFMG certification as it's required to apply for your state medical license, which in turn is required to begin practicing. Some hospitals allow ppl to perform shadow-like duties until their license come in, others force you to use your vacation time while you wait. ECFMG certification does not take 2 - 3 months. I believe my school printed our diplomas 2 weeks prior to graduation on June 5 (so approx. May 21st) - this is usually the last remaining document required for certification - and I received my certification on June 10th (approximately, I can't remember the exact date). For a non-citizen, you also need your ECFMG cert to receive your visa (a J1 if applying straight out of med school). Like I said my timeline was very tight but in the end I got my license on the Thursday before I started working, and got my visa the day I left for orientation (June 12th). The important thing when using these forums is to make sure you're speaking with someone who actually went through it, and not through hearsay as my fellow students who weren't doing the process would have no idea what my timeline was actually like. Some of my classmates who did residency in the same city as me (and thus I could keep tabs on) took about a week and a half longer to get their licenses and missed the first week of work - they were all American. Hope this helps.

It depends on how much you think one of those spots would help your CV or application. As non-EU the chances of getting a good intern spot are essentially zero, meaning there's a strong possibility of getting a position where you're a glorified phlebotomist/line inserter for a year. Is that going to help my application? I'm not so sure. Trying to set up more clinical electives in Canada would probably be a better use of my time to be honest.

Just to make sure you know, but you will be ineligible from re-applying to the first iteration of CaRMS if you have completed any postgraduate training. Otherwise I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. The problem with the match - even for CMGs - is that you can make decisions that seem entirely reasonable, but aren't necessarily casting the widest net possible, and wind up getting screwed over. This was a very bad year for CMGs too comparatively, even in the second iteration.

Actually that's incorrect. What you are referring to is any post grad training done in Canada or the US can't enter the first round. Intern year in Ireland doesn't apply to that policy.

Actually that's incorrect. What you are referring to is any post grad training done in Canada or the US can't enter the first round. Intern year in Ireland doesn't apply to that policy.

asd979 you are correct. If they didn't allow residency training from other countries, that would eliminate nearly all of the immigrant IMGs as most of them have done some sort of post-graduate training in their own countries.

Hey man, I feel for you. This was a tough year all around, and especially competitive for FM in SK considering that there were new residency programs offered this year too. I think one thing we forget sometimes is that it's a big world. Canadians (and Saskactehwaners) go all over for med school, so while you probably did have a good chance at matching in SK as a native SKer, we are competing against the SKer's who went to the Caribbean, England, Poland, Australia, and the other Irish med school, along with other Canadians. You are right though, it becomes clear at the interviews just how competitive the match really is.

I would recommend to try to get some electives or observerships in places where there are residency programs in SK. I think it helps if the people on the admission committee knows who you are.

I think this thread is important for Canadians who are considering going to Ireland. Hopefully things went out well for OP in the end this year but it is always important to apply for residency broadly and not leave any stones unturned and to attend all the interviews you can possibly go to. To the OP I think things might have ended up better if you hadn't turned down the electives in Manitoba and Newfoundland considering those two provinces tend to be most friendly towards IMGs and Irish grads.

And this is why if you go abroad, you should make sure to apply broadly in Canada AND the US.

To not apply to the US, leads to an increasingly larger chance of being unmatched.

Hope it worked out for OP.

And this is why if you go abroad, you should make sure to apply broadly in Canada AND the US.

To not apply to the US, leads to an increasingly larger chance of being unmatched.

Hope it worked out for OP.

I'm starting to wonder if it is common for Canadians studying in Ireland to only do the MCCEE and apply for Canada but not the USMLEs? I notice many of the matched students in Canada haven't attempted the USMLE or at most only did Step 1 and not CS/CK. Other than that agree 100% however keep in mind to be competitive in the US you MUST also do USCEs in addition to Canadian CEs so you'll need to mix and match a bit in your third/fourth year summers.

I'm starting to wonder if it is common for Canadians studying in Ireland to only do the MCCEE and apply for Canada but not the USMLEs? I notice many of the matched students in Canada haven't attempted the USMLE or at most only did Step 1 and not CS/CK. Other than that agree 100% however keep in mind to be competitive in the US you MUST also do USCEs in addition to Canadian CEs so you'll need to mix and match a bit in your third/fourth year summers.

Either way do your Step 1, you can also use the US as a backup apply to Canada only the first year and then write the CK/CS and do US electives for the following year if you don't match. This is only if you feel like its too overwhelming to apply to both at the same time.

Hey all,

Just wanted to post an update. Following my non match for the 2014 cycle, I returned to Canada where I completed an additional FM elective in Mississauga, and a rural FM observership in northern Saskatchewan during the summer of 2014. I ended up becoming employed at an internal medicine outpatient clinic in Saskatoon that fall, as an office assistant. I finished the NAC OSCE, Step 2 CS, and QE1 that fall as well. I didn't do spectacular on the NAC, but had a very respectable score for QE1. I reapplied for the 2015 CaRMS cycle, this time only having two interviews in Saskatchewan for FM. I also applied to over 100 FM programs in the United States, and was offered one interview in North Dakota. I again felt very prepared for the Canadian interviews after some extensive practice, and thought they went well. My interview in North Dakota also felt very promising. Unfortunately, I had the displeasure of experiencing yet again rejection from CaRMS. I reapplied for the second round and was offered interviews for McMaster and Ottawa FM, and Saskatoon IM. However, at this point I finally caught a break and matched to the North Dakota FM program! I'm currently a few months into my first year of residency and couldn't be happier.

I feel very lucky that I finally ended up in a residency. I realize that I took things for granted when I initially went to med school as well as during the match cycles. Do not do what I did. Achieve the highest scores in all your exams. Apply broadly to the specialty of your choice in Canada and the US. I know that I pretty much won the lottery, in terms of the odds I beat by having only one US interview yet still matching. However, I wouldn't be surprised that if my scenario was repeated 100 times I wouldn't match again. I want people to know that there can be a happy ending to this, but do not hinder yourself. Do whatever it takes to make yourself stand out. There's thousands of unmatched graduates out there all in the same scenario. One of my fellow residents spent over 5 years unmatched and that level of debt hanging over your head can cripple you. I'm so grateful to have parents that supported me while I tried to get my life in order, but there are many out there who aren't as lucky. My original advice still stands. Get into an American or Canadian school if you can. Don't go abroad unless you feel it's your only option, and if you do so then make matching your only focus. Every year it is only going to get worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hey all,

Just wanted to post an update. Following my non match for the 2014 cycle, I returned to Canada where I completed an additional FM elective in Mississauga, and a rural FM observership in northern Saskatchewan during the summer of 2014. I ended up becoming employed at an internal medicine outpatient clinic in Saskatoon that fall, as an office assistant. I finished the NAC OSCE, Step 2 CS, and QE1 that fall as well. I didn't do spectacular on the NAC, but had a very respectable score for QE1. I reapplied for the 2015 CaRMS cycle, this time only having two interviews in Saskatchewan for FM. I also applied to over 100 FM programs in the United States, and was offered one interview in North Dakota. I again felt very prepared for the Canadian interviews after some extensive practice, and thought they went well. My interview in North Dakota also felt very promising. Unfortunately, I had the displeasure of experiencing yet again rejection from CaRMS. I reapplied for the second round and was offered interviews for McMaster and Ottawa FM, and Saskatoon IM. However, at this point I finally caught a break and matched to the North Dakota FM program! I'm currently a few months into my first year of residency and couldn't be happier.

I feel very lucky that I finally ended up in a residency. I realize that I took things for granted when I initially went to med school as well as during the match cycles. Do not do what I did. Achieve the highest scores in all your exams. Apply broadly to the specialty of your choice in Canada and the US. I know that I pretty much won the lottery, in terms of the odds I beat by having only one US interview yet still matching. However, I wouldn't be surprised that if my scenario was repeated 100 times I wouldn't match again. I want people to know that there can be a happy ending to this, but do not hinder yourself. Do whatever it takes to make yourself stand out. There's thousands of unmatched graduates out there all in the same scenario. One of my fellow residents spent over 5 years unmatched and that level of debt hanging over your head can cripple you. I'm so grateful to have parents that supported me while I tried to get my life in order, but there are many out there who aren't as lucky. My original advice still stands. Get into an American or Canadian school if you can. Don't go abroad unless you feel it's your only option, and if you do so then make matching your only focus. Every year it is only going to get worse.

Congrats!! The hard work paid off.

Congrats to the OP on getting into a residency! Yeah it's very easy for an IMG to lose track and not match, even if you do everything correctly as OP did there's still a chance of not matching.