For all thos MCAT lovers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbag

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) ATP is important in what? DNA,protein,carbohydate, oligosachride

2) If three capicor was parellel and another three was in series, what is the ratio of parellel to series?

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot really ask a question like that. There are examples in three of these cases where you need ATP. I know that MCAT may ask such a STUPID question. I would narrow it down to protein and DNA. here is why:

1) DNA: You need ATP to replicate DNA
2) Protein: u need ATP for synthesis, plus proteins have a lot of do with DNA, too. For example when DNA replicates, single Strand Binding Protein (SSBP) is used in holding strands separate and making DNa molecule more stable. Plus there are a lot of coupled enzamatic reaction with ATP giving up phosphate.

I would imagine that there reaction when you need ATP for synthesis of oligosaccharides because it takes some energy to form a bond. ATP is one of the sources of enrgy.
Did you have this question on the MCAT?

Thanks RNA Ladder! :cool:

I was really confused since I thought ATP was used with DNA and that it is involved with the mitochondria. Next year, I am taking the MCATs and I hope there are not questions as confusing as this one.

Yup, these are actual questions on the recent MCAT.

Here's another Q's ;
what is responsible for pressure in your body:artery, arteriole, capillary,venule?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have any of those questions on my MCAT. Those are pretty general questions for the MCAT.
Most questions have a right or wrong answer, that's assuming you ignore the verbal section.

You won't see any questions such as the one's concerning ATP or blood pressure on the MCAT.

ARTERIOLE, since they have the smooth muscle. They are the regulators of cardiac output to the systemic capillaries as well as regulation of BP. Veins are the blood volume reservoir in the body!

Although ATP maybe involved in synthesis of all four structures, ATP is a component of nucleic acids.

Adenosine Monophosphate is a nucleotide. The nucleoside version is called Adenosine. The base version is called Adenine. Therefore, ATP is a component of nucleic acids. Also, do you remember GTP and GDP as an energy source in Krebs Cycle? They are also involved in nucleic acids since they are derivatives of guanine.

Check....
<a href="http://www.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking/nucleic-acids.html#analogs" target="_blank">http://www.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking/nucleic-acids.html#analogs</a>
for a chart on this.

For the capacitor question, Capacitors in parallel all have the same voltage, but the equivalent capacitance is the sum of the individual capacitances. On the otherhand, capacitors in series all have the same charge, but the equivalent capacitance is 1/Total C = 1/c1 + 1/c2 + 1/c3 and so on.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think that the nucleotide base adenine contains ATP. Adenine doesn't have three phosphate groups attached to it.

I would probably answer protein because some protein kinases need ATP to function (is it all proteins that need it?), plus it's involved in its synthesis. DNA doesn't need ATP. Rather, the PROTEINS involved in DNA sysnthesis require ATP to function. But I'm not sure.

About the physics question in parallel would be C/3, and in series you would have 3C, so the ratio would be 9.

Later

here's a question:

is thymidine a protein or some nitrogenous base? I had 4 questions concerning this molecule as one of the two. I picked protein...was I right?

ATP is important in DNA. Why? In DNA replication each nucleotide added occurs by removal of a pyrophosphate group from the corresponding deoxynucleoside triphosphate. The DNA nucleotide containing adenine is thus produced from break-up of the 2nd phosphate group in ATP.

=&gt; new DNA is formed from ATP (among other deoxynucleoside triphosphates). It is fair to say therefore ATP is most important to DNA.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bad_hombre:
•I don't think that the nucleotide base adenine contains ATP. Adenine doesn't have three phosphate groups attached to it.•••••Before, a nucleotide base attaches to a growing DNA/RNA strand it contains 3 phospahtes. The #1 phospahte of the incoming strand will attach to the 3' OH-group of the primer strand. After attaching, the #2 and 3 phosphates are cleaved off.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by BUmiken12:
•here's a question:

is thymidine a protein or some nitrogenous base? I had 4 questions concerning this molecule as one of the two. I picked protein...was I right?•••••Thymine is a nitrogenous base. Once a ribo/deoxyribo molecule bonds to thymine, the molecule becomes thymidine/deoxythymidine. Its not a protein, but I am not sure if it is considered a nitrogenous base either.

The ATP-DNA thing is a typical Biochem question. They want you to think what would halt first, if ATP was not present at all in the body. Where is it found in amples? The SUGAR-PHOSPHATE backbone in the helix. Therefore, ATP is most important to DNA. In order to make protein, yes, ATP is needed, but not as much as would be for DNA synthesis. Proteins are made on ribosomes with nucleophilic attack between the sugar on one tRNA-complex and the phosphate on the OTHER t-RNA complex. Furthermore, if you don't have DNA, you can't make protein. Therefore, I would pick DNA and not protein.

Three capaciors in parallel=C+C=C = 3C
Three caps. in series = C/3. (C divided by 3)

Here's a physics question:

A closed tub contains X liters of oxygen. The pressure inside the tub is Y. At the bottom of the tub there is a hole in which pressure escapes at the rate of Z. Volume escapes at the rate of J. How long until the tub is empty?