Footwear for long days doing clinical rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

openstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time on my feet for 10 hrs in a few years. Starting all the clinical rotations. What do people like for comfortable footwear for men?

Members don't see this ad.

First time on my feet for 10 hrs in a few years. Starting all the clinical rotations. What do people like for comfortable footwear for men?

Don't even bother with the Dansko's, etc. Go to a running store, let them take some measurements and assess your gait/pronation and buy the shoe that fits most comfortably. Wear scrubs to work etc.

Reactions: 6 users
I like Danskos/Calzuros for standing still —> ie. the OR.

My Brooks running shoes for literally everything else except where a nicely polished wingtip is required.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found Rockports/Clark's professional enough and comfortable. And affordable. I tried Allen Edmonds when I became an attending, thinking they'd be more presentable, but they were less comfortable (and not very affordable for med students). I'm back to Clarks, and perhaps it's a sad commentary on the state of how physicians dress (at least in CA), but paired with Ralph Lauren wool slacks and a Brooks Brothers sport shirt I appear to be the best dressed male physician here.

Not that I was aiming for it. I just like simplicity--I literally wear the same type of pant everyday (all are black, same size), and every Brooks Brothers shirt was bought on sale for $50 or less, and they're all the same size/cut. I find what's comfortable/works and then I just keep buying it (one sale). I like it though--it keeps my life simple...

Rule No. 1 of internship: Make the beeping stop (particularly relevant in the ICU)
Rule No. 2: Never sit when you can lie down, and never stand when you can sit. (Always be grateful for table rounds)

Reactions: 2 users
Clogs. The Merrell ones are great - if you don't like the soles, get Dr Scholl's inserts.

Reactions: 1 user
Clogs. The Merrell ones are great
Not anymore. They used to be the bomb but they changed the way they make them especially the jungle moc. I would not buy another pair after wearing them for 10 plus years.

would recommend wearing compression stockings with any shoes it really helps.

hokas and ultraboosts are both comfy. broken in cowboy boots are also not bad.
If you like sneakers, jordan 12s are the most comfortable shoe ive ever worn and I can stand all day in them.

Reactions: 1 users
Not anymore. They used to be the bomb but they changed the way they make them especially the jungle moc. I would not buy another pair after wearing them for 10 plus years.
The soles changed and got harder to wear but that's why I put in the Dr. Scholl's inserts. Works great and I can stand all day.

I like Danskos/Calzuros for standing still —> ie. the OR.

My Brooks running shoes for literally everything else except where a nicely polished wingtip is required.

I see some proceduralists putting a mat underneath their feet. Maybe Danskos work the same way? I used Danskos during rotations and honestly while walking around they just felt really uncomfortable relative to running shoes. I ended up using them only in vascular OR when there was blood all over the floor when I didn't want to get my running shoes dirty similar to how I used my old running shoes for lawn mowing.

I see some proceduralists putting a mat underneath their feet. Maybe Danskos work the same way? I used Danskos during rotations and honestly while walking around they just felt really uncomfortable relative to running shoes. I ended up using them only in vascular OR when there was blood all over the floor when I didn't want to get my running shoes dirty similar to how I used my old running shoes for lawn mowing.
This is exactly why I got the Merrell's I was talking about above lol. They don't let fluid in. This is also in contrast to running shoes which are often either made of mesh or have the holes for breathing room. It's so gross when blood gets into your socks.

ultraboosts look good + comfy, if odor is an issue all birds wool runners are great.

Surprised no one mentioned crocs, they’ve been great for me

Hoka Bondi 7. Whether it’s long OR days or hospital rounds these are great for support and cushion. Hoka One Recovery sandals in the house if you are having foot pain after work.

Alternate shoes! Confuse those arches! Hokas, altras, crocs