Foolish to consider a carib med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EFesta77

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question guys. I am an older student (28..so not that old) that is planning to apply to med school in the coming year. I had been set on only applying to US allopathic schools, but recently I began looking into SGU and Ross. One of the main reasons I am considering one of these schools is because I would be able to skip the lag year if I were to be accepted. The only thing I have left to do is one more science course and the MCAT so I would be planning on the Fall of 06. My credentials are strong. I have a high undergrad gpa, a phd in neuroscience, a long list of publications and awards and so forth (not boasting, just giving a general description). I'm confident I would be accepted somewhere in the US when I apply. Would it be foolish of me to consider a carib med school? Should I just wait out the year and attend school in the US?

Btw, I'm not knocking carib med schools, I have a friend who attended Ross and loved it. He is actually influencing my decision. I'm just looking for some objective advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Those sound like some pretty kickass credentials. I mean c'mon, you've got a freakin' phd for God sakes! I don't think you'd have a lot of difficulty getting into a US allopathic school. So, if I were in your situation, i'd apply to schools inside the US. As far as the lag year goes, you can always work at a lab or something.

It all depends if you can stand waiting a year longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, the year wait is what will drive me crazy. I suppose patience is a virtue. :D

EFesta77 said:
Quick question guys. I am an older student (28..so not that old) that is planning to apply to med school in the coming year. I had been set on only applying to US allopathic schools, but recently I began looking into SGU and Ross. One of the main reasons I am considering one of these schools is because I would be able to skip the lag year if I were to be accepted. The only thing I have left to do is one more science course and the MCAT so I would be planning on the Fall of 06. My credentials are strong. I have a high undergrad gpa, a phd in neuroscience, a long list of publications and awards and so forth (not boasting, just giving a general description). I'm confident I would be accepted somewhere in the US when I apply. Would it be foolish of me to consider a carib med school? Should I just wait out the year and attend school in the US?

Btw, I'm not knocking carib med schools, I have a friend who attended Ross and loved it. He is actually influencing my decision. I'm just looking for some objective advice.

I think you're foolish for considering the caribbean. I have nothing against the established caribbean schools (i graduated from sgu), but with your resume im wondering why you would even think about it. If you choose to go to med school in the caribbean it won't be picture perfect like many people think. You're not going to spend your days studying on the beach and enjoying exotic drinks on weekends. You're 28 years old with a phD, publications, awards, high undergrad gpa, and you want to consider the caribbean? The caribbean is more expensive than the u.s., living environment is terrible, you'll be farther away from family (unless you bring them with you for the torture), during clinicals you might need to move around because there are no guarantees that youll do everything in one place, you'll also be at a disadvantage when it comes to getting a residency (some programs don't accept any fmg's, even if your usmle scores are >260, published, great lor's), you'll need very high scores for a competitive residency (ortho, derm, top IM, surgery, etc.) and after residency some practices will not hire you because they don't hire fmg's. maybe it's just me, but if i had a choice between ross and any of the schools in the u.s., i'd definately go with the u.s. Instead of thinking about the caribbean, maybe you should focus on studying for the mcat and getting accepted into a top 50 u.s. school. It's understandable that you don't want to waste this year, but it's only one year and it will be worth it. Four years of med school and at least 3 years of residency will be very tough, maybe you should use this year to travel or do whatever it is that you want, because once you start med school you won't have this kind of free time for the next seven years.

DrMikey

It is excellent to hear from someone who went to a FMG. Thank you for the informative post as it really does clarify the FMG v stay in US DO/MD schools.

highly appreciated

Thanks for your honesty Dr. Mikey. I was a bit curious as to how difficult it can actually be when applying for a residency as a fmg. It was nice to hear some 1sthand experience. These websites seem to paint a picture that is too good to be true.

EFesta77 said:
Thanks for your honesty Dr. Mikey. I was a bit curious as to how difficult it can actually be when applying for a residency as a fmg. It was nice to hear some 1sthand experience. These websites seem to paint a picture that is too good to be true.

from someone who went down to the carib for the same reason and decided to take the money and time loss after 2 months wait the year! the quality of life issue and stigma when you get back are not worth one year.

You are young...I'd wait. Save the Carib. for when you are out of options. Apply to many many U.S. schools. The Carib. can get very expensive when something out of the ordinary happens (unexpected trips home for family emergencies, etc.). Later you would regret not trying. If you don't get accepted to U.S. schools then you would feel better about considering the Carib. Some people have to choose this route and make the best of it but it is not the Best route to take. What people love is that they are given the chance (Ross, SGU, etc) to become doctors...I haven't met any that thought their choice was superior to going to a U.S. school. Be patient.

lawrencepena said:
from someone who went down to the carib for the same reason and decided to take the money and time loss after 2 months wait the year! the quality of life issue and stigma when you get back are not worth one year.

wow, so you went down and came back? are you attending a US school now?

Mom2five said:
You are young...I'd wait. Save the Carib. for when you are out of options. Apply to many many U.S. schools. The Carib. can get very expensive when something out of the ordinary happens (unexpected trips home for family emergencies, etc.). Later you would regret not trying. If you don't get accepted to U.S. schools then you would feel better about considering the Carib. Some people have to choose this route and make the best of it but it is not the Best route to take. What people love is that they are given the chance (Ross, SGU, etc) to become doctors...I haven't met any that thought their choice was superior to going to a U.S. school. Be patient.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. ;)

Hello, I read your post, it is definitely not foolish to consider a carribbean medical school. I have a friend who encouraged me to go. I am 26yrs old, I have a biology degree and I am currently in nursing and will be graduating May/2006. I'm taking the MCAT in April, and applying to Ross and SGU. I plan on starting in Sept of 2006. I know other people who went to Ross University and got high board scores in the 90th percentile. I think it's all what you make of it. At the end of the day you are a doctor regardless of where you went to school. So I say don't wait, go for it.

EFesta77 said:

Mike MacKinnon said:
DrMikey

It is excellent to hear from someone who went to a FMG. Thank you for the informative post as it really does clarify the FMG v stay in US DO/MD schools.

highly appreciated

I woudln't clump MDs and DOs together, bc DO's have their own stigmas and problems also. You have been very very anti carrib. for a very long time. Funny to see you on these threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:
I woudln't clump MDs and DOs together, bc DO's have their own stigmas and problems also. You have been very very anti carrib. for a very long time. Funny to see you on these threads.
Hey NRA

I think few people would disagree that it is better to stay in the USA for med school than to go anywhere else if you want to practice here. In that respect, DO/MD are indiscernable from each other. However, there are many people in circumstances, be it age, GPA/MCAT or simply impatients that look elsewhere. There is nothing better than first hand information from the people who have done it.

Would I choose caribbean? No not personally, i would choose UK first. Mostly because if you didnt get into a USA residency you can stay there, practice and make a good life for yourself, not really an option in the caribbean.

The stats speak for themselves. 1/3 of people who enter foreign medical schools never finish. 1/3 never get to come back to the USA as a physician and 1/3 get to be Doctors and come back to the USA. To believe that the 2/3's who failed didnt go into it with the same expectations as the 1/3 who succeed is false (stats from the US News Ultimate Guide to medical school). I find it frustrating at times that this very real side of it is never presented here. Or, when it is, the presenters are alienated and attacked.

I have friends planning to goto Ross and they are happy with the idea. I have a few physician friends who are caribbean grads and have no regrets (though they all say they would have went to a USA school had that been an option for them). I feel its a valid choice, but like every choice you have to be informed to make the one thats right for you. Hearing all rainbows and sunshine about caribbean schools isnt an accurate representation of the whole picture. It is also good to hear the bad side as well in order to know what your getting into. It is also important to recognize the fact that foreign schools in general, are never the 1st choice for anyone but often their only option.

Mike,

Carribean is definitely most peoples second choice, but to say that DO schools aren't about 95% of people second choices also is nonsense. Both are respectable options,but each has its own disadvantagous. To point out ones disadvantagous and to not acknowledge the others is misleading. Many people (docs included) still don't fully understand what a DO is.

Yes, DO schools are US schools, but they are different from US allopathic schools. They are not regarded with the same esteem as are the US allo schools. Their match lists are comparable to those of the top carribean schools.

Yes, there is a large portion of any carribean class that will not graduate (u said 1/3 so well go with that) and most of these people will be weeded out the first and second semesters. But those that do graduate will have no problem getting a residency, expect for the ultra competitve spots (i.e. ortho, integrated plastics, neurosurg., rads) where DOs would have trouble matching into ALLOPATHIC spots also.

I don't know where you are getting the statistic that 1/3 of carrib. students will not return to the US, but that is false.

If i were to go to a foreign school, i would choose carrib. over UK, Russia, Australila, Ireland, Hungary.... bc at carrib. schools you complete ur clinical years rotating at various US hospitals, which will help to get u a US residency. Where with the other foreign schools you rotate in their country.

NRAI2001 said:
Mike,

Carribean is definitely most peoples second choice, but to say that DO schools aren't about 95% of people second choices also is nonsense. Both are respectable options,but each has its own disadvantagous. To point out ones disadvantagous and to not acknowledge the others is misleading. Many people (docs included) still don't fully understand what a DO is.

Yes, DO schools are US schools, but they are different from US allopathic schools. They are not regarded with the same esteem as are the US allo schools. Their match lists are comparable to those of the top carribean schools.

Yes, there is a large portion of any carribean class that will not graduate (u said 1/3 so well go with that) and most of these people will be weeded out the first and second semesters. But those that do graduate will have no problem getting a residency, expect for the ultra competitve spots (i.e. ortho, integrated plastics, neurosurg., rads) where DOs would have trouble matching into ALLOPATHIC spots also.

I don't know where you are getting the statistic that 1/3 of carrib. students will not return to the US, but that is false.

If i were to go to a foreign school, i would choose carrib. over UK, Russia, Australila, Ireland, Hungary.... bc at carrib. schools you complete ur clinical years rotating at various US hospitals, which will help to get u a US residency. Where with the other foreign schools you rotate in their country.
NRA

We actually agree. You are totally right, at LEAST 80% of people who goto DO school would have went to MD had it been an option. I was just referring to the fact that as a DO your already in the USA so you dont have to worry about the match issue getting you back into your country. In my view, this is the scariest part of going FMG (regardless of where you go).

The 1/3 stat i referenced in the last post. It isnt for caribb. its for all FMG's overall.

As for the rotations within the USA for Carib. vs UK I think thats a moot point. Overall you will find that UK grads are less prejudiced against than carib. grads (not all EU grads just the ones from UK, Scotland and Ireland). I dont have stats on that just first hand info from carib. grads and UK/Scotland/Ireland grads i work with. They tell me that the reason is because the Carib. schools are setup for one reason, to profit off US students who have to look outside the country for a medical program. As opposed to the EU programs which would exist without the North American people going there (and many have for over 350 years, Trinity would be an example). To some degree that suggests that the motives at the Carib. schools might not be altruistic, hence the prejudice.

In anycase, the choice is personal. There are signifigant drawbacks to going to med school in the UK as well. The first and foremost is not being prepared for the USMLE as well as carib. grads. The carib schools (the top 3 at least) prepare their students as well as any US school for the USMLE. In the UK that isnt the focus as the schools wernt setup to follow the US exam system at all. Also, the downside to the UK is the fact that you are there for 5 years as opposed to 4 in the carib. (only 2 of which actually there as your rotations are in the US). That represents alot of money in comparison.

At the end of the day you just have to choose the right path for you. The FMG path is always going to be a harder path but if its your only choice its worth it. UK or Carib. I think that you just have to know what is best for yourself.

Mike MacKinnon said:
NRA

We actually agree. You are totally right, at LEAST 80% of people who goto DO school would have went to MD had it been an option. I was just referring to the fact that as a DO your already in the USA so you dont have to worry about the match issue getting you back into your country. In my view, this is the scariest part of going FMG (regardless of where you go).

The 1/3 stat i referenced in the last post. It isnt for caribb. its for all FMG's overall.

As for the rotations within the USA for Carib. vs UK I think thats a moot point. Overall you will find that UK grads are less prejudiced against than carib. grads (not all EU grads just the ones from UK, Scotland and Ireland). I dont have stats on that just first hand info from carib. grads and UK/Scotland/Ireland grads i work with. They tell me that the reason is because the Carib. schools are setup for one reason, to profit off US students who have to look outside the country for a medical program. As opposed to the EU programs which would exist without the North American people going there (and many have for over 350 years, Trinity would be an example). To some degree that suggests that the motives at the Carib. schools might not be altruistic, hence the prejudice.

In anycase, the choice is personal. There are signifigant drawbacks to going to med school in the UK as well. The first and foremost is not being prepared for the USMLE as well as carib. grads. The carib schools (the top 3 at least) prepare their students as well as any US school for the USMLE. In the UK that isnt the focus as the schools wernt setup to follow the US exam system at all. Also, the downside to the UK is the fact that you are there for 5 years as opposed to 4 in the carib. (only 2 of which actually there as your rotations are in the US). That represents alot of money in comparison.

At the end of the day you just have to choose the right path for you. The FMG path is always going to be a harder path but if its your only choice its worth it. UK or Carib. I think that you just have to know what is best for yourself.

Very true. In the end DO, carrib. grad, and US MD will all lead to you to the same goals. :thumbup:

GaidenX said:
Hello, I read your post, it is definitely not foolish to consider a carribbean medical school. I have a friend who encouraged me to go. I am 26yrs old, I have a biology degree and I am currently in nursing and will be graduating May/2006. I'm taking the MCAT in April, and applying to Ross and SGU. I plan on starting in Sept of 2006. I know other people who went to Ross University and got high board scores in the 90th percentile. I think it's all what you make of it. At the end of the day you are a doctor regardless of where you went to school. So I say don't wait, go for it.

Hi GaidenX, I am curious about your decision. Are you at all worried that you will not obtain a competative residency? That is, if you choose radiology or othro. surgery, for example. I look at the carib school catalogs and it seems as though students place in all these specialties, but I remain skeptical. In all honesty this is my #1 concern. I am probably going to go for radiology as this has always been my interest, but I would need to be certain that students from SGU or Ross can get a good residency in this specialty.

eugene

It had been a while since i checked this thread. i had forogtten about Dr Mikeys advice. I would take his experience into consideration.

EFesta77 said:
Hi GaidenX, I am curious about your decision. Are you at all worried that you will not obtain a competative residency? That is, if you choose radiology or othro. surgery, for example. I look at the carib school catalogs and it seems as though students place in all these specialties, but I remain skeptical. In all honesty this is my #1 concern. I am probably going to go for radiology as this has always been my interest, but I would need to be certain that students from SGU or Ross can get a good residency in this specialty.

eugene

My parents are both physicians,and they said that they had friends who were true FMGs (or IMGs, i don't remember the true distinctions) who are radiologist. But they got their residencies 10 to 15 years ago. So it maybe more competitive now. I think it would be competitive, but not impossible from a carribean school. Ortho maybe more difficult. They said that at the hospital taht they did their residency there were FMGs in every department, including ortho, plastics, GI, and cardiology. This was at a large community hospital in maryland.

Taken from the SGU website.

http://sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/Home/GraduateStudentSuccess.htm

RETENTION AND GRADUATION

Over 90% of the students who start with SGUSOM become physicians: 84% of SGU students graduate from SGU; 7-9% transfer into and graduate from US schools.

POSTGRADUATE SUCCESS

Over 5,000 graduates have practiced medicine in over 35 countries. The majority of our graduates are US citizens or permanent residents, and therefore seek residency training in the US.

According to surveys of our graduates, 99% of our US eligible graduates obtain residencies, generally their first or second choice.

The fact that US allo schools were willing to take in the SGU students after the hurricane in Grenada said something good about the SGU route. But it should still be used only after you have applied a couple of times in the US.

skypilot said:
The fact that US allo schools were willing to take in the SGU students after the hurricane in Grenada said something good about the SGU route. But it should still be used only after you have applied a couple of times in the US.

I m not sure what ur talking about? Is it in reference to the recent hurricane, or an older one? Did they take them in completely (i.e. transfer)?

Here is a letter from the Dean of SGU in 2004

St. George's medical students are completing work at the US locations on December 23rd and will return to the campus in Grenada on January 10th. There have been persistent erroneous reports that SGU students will be going to a new medical school in Jamaica purportedly because Hurricane Ivan destroyed the campus. This is untrue, and the persistence of these rumors smacks of maliciousness. The campus, which suffered roof tile and water damage, remained structurally intact and, in fact, never closed; over 300 undergraduate and graduate students have been studying on the campus since September 28. The over 1,300 medical and veterinary students who were relocated in five US locations are returning on January 10th.

This is a press release distributed by SGU last week throughout the Caribbean:

Relocated Students to Return in January with Entering Classes
St. George’s University Announces Classes Resume on Grenada Campus
Officials from St. George’s University, headquartered in Grenada, West Indies, today announced that all classes will resume on its main campus in January 2005, completing its process of recovery from Hurricane Ivan.

“Ivan did its worst, but just like our neighbors in Grenada and elsewhere in the Caribbean, we were determined to recover quickly and we have,” said Charles R. Modica, Chancellor of St. George’s.

Dr. Modica stated that the University temporarily relocated 1300 medical and veterinary students to affiliated institutions in the United States to lessen any strain on Grenada’s resources in the immediate post-Ivan period. “Classes for 300 graduate and undergraduate students, in session now on campus, were suspended for three weeks after the hurricane and resumed on September 28th,” said Dr. Modica. “Now, it is time to return our campus to its normal state of vibrant activity with its full student student body and faculty.”

During the post-Ivan recovery period, St. George’s kept all of its full-time employees and also opened its campus to house utility and other relief volunteers as well as security personnel from neighboring countries who arrived to assist the battered island.

Along with its sister institute, The Windward Islands Research and Education Foundation, St. George’s mounted a dedicated relief effort aimed at providing medical supplies and building materials to repair Grenadian homes.

Chancellor Modica stated that the January entering classes for all University schools continued the pattern of increasing enrollment, even though the selection process for its entering students continues to be extremely competitive.

Referring to recent press reports on creation of a new medical school in Jamaica it was claimed that it may recruit students from St. George’s because of damage done by the Hurricane, Chancellor Modica stated, “Those statements are patently untrue, and in fact reprehensible. Opportunistic and parasitic actions such as these are a disservice to all the efforts of the Grenadian people and the University personnel who are part of the reconstruction efforts.”

When asked about the long-term viability of St. George’s University in its Grenada location, Chancellor Modica said that the administration remains committed to its mission in the Caribbean and that, paraphrasing Mark Twain, “Reports of our demise are greatly exaggerated.”

Hi Eugene, I am also interested in a competitive residency I am thinking about anethesiology. But the people that I know who graduated from Ross university have all gotten in the high 90th percentile and are all applying for competitive residency programs such as anethesiology and radiology to name a few. They will keep me informed in regards to which residency programs they get. So by all means, I'm not saying it'll be an easy road but I think it is definitely possible. I just recently attended a Ross University Information Seminar and the people on the panel were M.D.s who graduated from Ross, one person on th panel was practicing in GI, and another Anethesiology so I think it's definitely possible. I will just have to work double hard to make sure I succeed.

EFesta77 said:

eugene

EFesta77 said:

You'll be just fine for most U.S. schools but, to be competitive, you MUST still do well on the MCAT and ensure that the logic in your application is totallly consistent with your past endeavors.....to address the question: why medicine after a medical science Ph.D.? I guarantee that they'll want to hear the term 'academic medicine'.

for a canadian going to a caribean medical school, are they allowed to do their clinicals in the states as well or do they have to go somewhere else?

Harbsy said:
for a canadian going to a caribean medical school, are they allowed to do their clinicals in the states as well or do they have to go somewhere else?
From what I have gathered, canadians, at least at SGU and SABA, do their clinicals in the US (SGU had the added benefit of UK rotations as well). A B-1 visa is required that needs to be renewed at the 6 month mark but this apparently is not much of a problem.

QUOTE: The fact that US allo schools were willing to take in the SGU students after the hurricane in Grenada said something good about the SGU route. But it should still be used only after you have applied a couple of times in the US.

As a point of information, the various terms relocated to various facilities in the US provided by willing Universities, but remained totally independent. All classes were still taught by SGU faculty. It was extremely generous of each University to make facilities available, (for a price, naturally) to SGU in their time of need, but there was no consideration for acceptance into their schools, nor was there an overlap of SGU classes into their curriculum or vice-versa.

frenchie said:
QUOTE: The fact that US allo schools were willing to take in the SGU students after the hurricane in Grenada said something good about the SGU route. But it should still be used only after you have applied a couple of times in the US.

As a point of information, the various terms relocated to various facilities in the US provided by willing Universities, but remained totally independent. All classes were still taught by SGU faculty. It was extremely generous of each University to make facilities available, (for a price, naturally) to SGU in their time of need, but there was no consideration for acceptance into their schools, nor was there an overlap of SGU classes into their curriculum or vice-versa.

I see what you mean.

I know of one person who went to Tulane Med (a lower ranking US school) in New Orleans. After the hurricane she was able to transfer into Baylor in Texas (a top ten ranked school). The funny thing she was waitlisted at Tulane untill the week before school started, and her stats were a bit above the avg for a carribean student (3.3 gpa, 28 mcat, Ca resident). She was only literally a Tulane student for a week, the hurricane hit, and now shes a student at a Top 10 med school.

Mike MacKinnon said:
The stats speak for themselves. 1/3 of people who enter foreign medical schools never finish. 1/3 never get to come back to the USA as a physician and 1/3 get to be Doctors and come back to the USA. To believe that the 2/3's who failed didnt go into it with the same expectations as the 1/3 who succeed is false (stats from the US News Ultimate Guide to medical school). I find it frustrating at times that this very real side of it is never presented here. Or, when it is, the presenters are alienated and attacked.

I doubt the accuracy of the stats from US News. Maybe they lumped all the foreign and/or carib schools together. I've always treated SGU, Ross, and AUC like I do DO schools in the states, which I think isn't totally inaccurate.

From my research and readings, AUC, SGU, and Ross all have pass rates and residency placement rates similar to or better than DO schools. AUC matched around 140 physicians in 2005, which according to your numbers is only 1/3 of the original student body. I'm quite certain AUC doesn't admit 450 students every year.

I chose AUC over SGU and Ross because the island is much more hospitable and there is more to do. So much more cool stuff to do with free time, in fact, that I'm seriously considering going there over DO schools, most of which are in BFE.

No school would allow 2/3 of their student body to fail out. They would surely do everything in their power (for their own sakes and well as their students sakes) to make sure that the large majority of their students not only graduate, but are able to match into their choice field.

Again this is taken directly from the SGU website:

Over 90% of the students who start with SGUSOM become physicians: 84% of SGU students graduate from SGU; 7-9% transfer into and graduate from US schools.

POSTGRADUATE SUCCESS

Over 5,000 graduates have practiced medicine in over 35 countries. The majority of our graduates are US citizens or permanent residents, and therefore seek residency training in the US.

According to surveys of our graduates, 99% of our US eligible graduates obtain residencies, generally their first or second choice.

NRAI2001 said:

I saw that. I responded before reading the entire thread.

I think the biggest drawback to matching from the Carib is location; most seem to match into smaller community-based programs, but then again so do most DO schools. I'm fine with that. I was too slack in undergrad to get into a US Allo school. I could technically get to that point but it would take 2-3 years, which I'm not willing to wait for. DO schools are alright, but I'm not thrilled about OMM and the extra FP rotations most have.

I could get by living in a small town (which a lot of DO schools seem to be located in) but would prefer to spend some time on St Maarten. I love the ocean and have never been to another country, unless you want to count Canada. I think it would be a cool experience, but I know that career-wise I would be better off coming from a DO school.

However, after seeing AUC's most recent match list I'm not really worried about it anymore. I'll wait and see which DO schools I get into, if any, then make my decision; there's just too much cool stuff to do on St Maarten between semesters. Not to mention I could start several months early and, if I so choose and am insane enough to do so, go year-round and finish the program 8-12 months early.

JKDMed said:
I saw that. I responded before reading the entire thread.

I think the biggest drawback to matching from the Carib is location; most seem to match into smaller community-based programs, but then again so do most DO schools. I'm fine with that. I was too slack in undergrad to get into a US Allo school. I could technically get to that point but it would take 2-3 years, which I'm not willing to wait for. DO schools are alright, but I'm not thrilled about OMM and the extra FP rotations most have.

I could get by living in a small town (which a lot of DO schools seem to be located in) but would prefer to spend some time on St Maarten. I love the ocean and have never been to another country, unless you want to count Canada. I think it would be a cool experience, but I know that career-wise I would be better off coming from a DO school.

However, after seeing AUC's most recent match list I'm not really worried about it anymore. I'll wait and see which DO schools I get into, if any, then make my decision.

Do u think that the stigma against carrib. grads is great after they have completed a residency and are trying to set up a practice?

NRAI2001 said:
Do u think that the stigma against carrib. grads is great after they have completed a residency and are trying to set up a practice?

I think it depends, but I'm not really concerned about it. If you are looking to join an established practice then maybe. If setting up your own then it isn't going to make a bit of difference.

From the grads I have talked to, however, once you enter residency most of the Carib stigma goes away. As far as employers refusing to hire IMG/FMGs, I've seen some refuse to hire DOs as well -- usually they lumped all three together on the job description.

Geographic area plays a big part, too, particularly where I wish to practice (the South). I see a lot of IMG/FMG physicians practicing around here, but very, very few DOs. The south seems quite a bit less, "DO friendly" than the North East or Midwest.

JKDMed said:
I think it depends, but I'm not really concerned about it. If you are looking to join an established practice then maybe. If setting up your own then it isn't going to make a bit of difference.

From the grads I have talked to, however, once you enter residency most of the Carib stigma goes away. As far as employers refusing to hire IMG/FMGs, I've seen some refuse to hire DOs as well -- usually they lumped all three together on the job description.

Geographic area plays a big part, too, particularly where I wish to practice (the South). I see a lot of IMG/FMG physicians practicing around here, but very, very few DOs. The south seems quite a bit less, "DO friendly" than the North East or Midwest.

Yea in my hometown (central california) DO's are extremely rare. Even in the bay area they seem to be rare. Many of the older (in their 40s and 50s) docs that I have spoken with don't even really know what a DO is. They all reccommend (spoken to docs in many fields including ortho surgeons, neurosurgeons, and CT surgeons) going to the carribean bc its not that big of a deal.

I know of a Ortho surgeon who sent three of his kids to med school in Mexico (where he attended med school also). I think the school was in Guadalajara?

NRAI2001 said:
Yea in my hometown (central california) DO's are extremely rare. Even in the bay area they seem to be rare. Many of the older (in their 40s and 50s) docs that I have spoken with don't even really know what a DO is. They all reccommend (spoken to docs in many fields including ortho surgeons, neurosurgeons, and CT surgeons) going to the carribean bc its not that big of a deal.

I know of a Ortho surgeon who sent three of his kids to med school in Mexico (where he attended med school also). I think the school was in Guadalajara?

Yeah, the Universidad Autonisomething Guadalajara.

I really don't think being a USIMG is that big of a deal. As long as you do well in the classes and on the USMLE you should be able to match into what you want. Honestly, I think most people from the Caribbean don't match into Ortho, Derm, Optho, etc. because their numbers aren't good enough, which is the result of bad habits carried over from undergrad and not necessarily the location of their school.

It's a shame that some people scoff at the Caribbean schools, because attending them can be a really cool experience.

As cool a story as this might be for your friend to tell, no one transferred to Baylor after the storm. Actually, Tulane students did not transfer anywhere. They are being taught on Baylor's campus by Tulane faculty when the Baylor students aren't using the rooms (i.e., Baylor students will have lectures in the lecture halls in the AM, and Tulane will use the lecture halls in the PM). Once New Orleans and Tulane's downtown facilities are reinhabitable, as well as there being suitable available housing for students (estimated date, Jan 1 -- students who got their own housing in Houston were asked to get leases only until December), these Tulane students will all vacate Baylor's campus and go back to New Orleans to be a part of an amazing rebuilding process.

NRAI2001 said:
I see what you mean.

I know of one person who went to Tulane Med (a lower ranking US school) in New Orleans. After the hurricane she was able to transfer into Baylor in Texas (a top ten ranked school). The funny thing she was waitlisted at Tulane untill the week before school started, and her stats were a bit above the avg for a carribean student (3.3 gpa, 28 mcat, Ca resident). She was only literally a Tulane student for a week, the hurricane hit, and now shes a student at a Top 10 med school.

peptidoglycan said:
As cool a story as this might be for your friend to tell, no one transferred to Baylor after the storm. Actually, Tulane students did not transfer anywhere. They are being taught on Baylor's campus by Tulane faculty when the Baylor students aren't using the rooms (i.e., Baylor students will have lectures in the lecture halls in the AM, and Tulane will use the lecture halls in the PM). Once New Orleans and Tulane's downtown facilities are reinhabitable, as well as there being suitable available housing for students (estimated date, Jan 1 -- students who got their own housing in Houston were asked to get leases only until December), these Tulane students will all vacate Baylor's campus and go back to New Orleans to be a part of an amazing rebuilding process.
yep. I've only heard of one student so far who's transferred out, and it was out of necessity rather than any real desire to leave Tulane, and the transfer was not to Baylor. If we lose more than 5 people out of our 600+ students, I'll be very surprised. And I hate to break it to Pepti, but even I'll be back. :p :) (j/k. you interns and residents were amazing during and after Katrina, and definitely a model for the rest of us to aspire to).

Where do AUC students do clinical rotations? Any general impressions or better specific info?
Thanks