Food Poisoning--or is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brick218

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently had a 20-year-old (very healthy) friend go to the ER with severe abdominal pain, burning sensation in lower esophagus, cramps, weakness, and persistent vomiting. There were no fever or diarrhea present, just slightly elevated WBC count. ER physician ordered anti-nausea medication, some Toradol for pain, and later Fentanyl. A CT scan (done with no stain--the patient effectively vomited everything.) was done and the physician saw swelling in numerous points along the intestinal tract, and declared food poisoning from that afternoon's chicken nuggets. The patient received fluids and antibiotics, and was released today, symptoms relieved.

The patient has, over the past several months, experienced uncontrolled and unwanted weight loss of 5 kg. There is no known history of gastrointestinal disease in the family.

So, my question: Is this simply a freakish presentation of food poisoning, or is it a different GI condition?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like no one else is going to do it, so I may as well.

Folks on SDN aren't going to give medical advice. If your friend is still sick, (s)he should go to a GI doctor for a more extensive work-up.

Seems like no one else is going to do it, so I may as well.

Folks on SDN aren't going to give medical advice. If your friend is still sick, (s)he should go to a GI doctor for a more extensive work-up.

thank you, I can't believe this one slept through the cracks.

closing .

Status
Not open for further replies.