Follow-Up to Post-Op Management of Tibial Fractures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagicalTrevor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to post a follow-up to my post (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1013581) 2 months ago. After my friend's surgery, he had a follow-up booked with a different orthopod who was put in charge of managing his post-op care. During this follow-up, he was told that he should not be weight-bearing at all and the instructions he was given to weight-bear was completely improper. Since that visit, he has not weight-beared at all and only recently as of this week allowed to partially weight-bear ~30 lb. So... yeah...

Members don't see this ad.

he was told that he should not be weight-bearing at all and the instructions he was given to weight-bear was completely improper... So... yeah...

Probably personal preference of the (new) treating surgeon, not a hard and fast rule.

I just wanted to post a follow-up to my post (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1013581) 2 months ago. After my friend's surgery, he had a follow-up booked with a different orthopod who was put in charge of managing his post-op care. During this follow-up, he was told that he should not be weight-bearing at all and the instructions he was given to weight-bear was completely improper. Since that visit, he has not weight-beared at all and only recently as of this week allowed to partially weight-bear ~30 lb. So... yeah...

It's great that your friend is doing better.

There are no hard and fast rules with regards to weight bearing after IM tibial nail. It's dependent on fracture pattern and location, as well as other patient factors, and surgeon preference. Some patients can be started at partial weight bearing progressing to weight bearing as tolerated over the next 4 weeks, while some should be NWB for 6 to 8 weeks, or until there is callus formation on x-ray.

It is impossible for anyone on an anonymous website to give proper recommendations with regards to post-op instructions without examining your friend or seeing his imaging.

Last edited:
:thumbup:
It's great that your friend is doing better.

There are no hard and fast rules with regards to weight bearing after IM tibial nail. It's dependent on fracture pattern and location, as well as other patient factors, and surgeon preference. Some patients can be started at partial weight bearing progressing to weight bearing as tolerated over the next 4 weeks, while some should be NWB for 6 to 8 weeks, or until there is callus formation on x-ray.

It is impossible for anyone on an anonymous website to give proper recommendations with regards to post-op instructions without examining your friend or seeing his imaging.