Follow up letters from programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staydin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear

I got a couple letters this week, stating that such&such program really liked me and is going to rank me very high, etc. I know programs are doing that, but isn't it early? I still haven't gotten around to doing second looks at some places (including the the ones I heard form). Stupid boards get in the way of everything!

My questions are:

1.) When do programs make their rank list? I thought it was closer to the end of Jan, early Feb?

2.) Have other people been getting these types of letters?

3.) Should I still go to second looks at these places?

4.) How much do these letters really mean? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

Thanks,

Steve

Members don't see this ad.

Probably depends on where the letters are coming from... If it's a bigger program with many applicants, I would venture to guess they are sending those letters to top 50-75% of their applicants. If it's a smaller program with less applicants, probably more significant.

My experience from last year is that you never know - if you get too cocky thinking those letters basically guarantee you a spot there, you will probably get a rude awakening come match day.

I thought those letters were flattering but did not put much weight in them. I got hand written letters from certain PDs telling me to consider their programs - I put more weight in those -> especially if I got more than one of those hand written letters/cards from the same program and closer to match time.

Bottom line though, is that I matched at my first choice and the PD there did not give me ANY indication that he was going to rank me. So I don't think there's a way to guess/predict what those letters mean. Just take it as a flattery and a reassurance that you are presenting pretty well and have not raised any red flags.