Follow the money or the match...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Follow the money or the match...

• Go to the school with lower costs that tends to match more Primary Care

Votes: 38 38.8%
  • Go to the school that costs 85k more but matches 5 times more into competitive top 10 hospitals

Votes: 60 61.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ride the wave

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between a few schools. The difference in tuition is 80-85k. The cheaper school is very good, but the match list tends to pump out a lot of primary care specialties. The higher ranked school matches a lot of top hospitals (Mass gen, Stanford, Mayo, UCLA, UCSF, Barnes, U of Wash, Brigham, etc) and tougher specialties.

My problem is this, I feel like I would actually enjoy the more expensive school more (P/F environment) and there is no denying their year after year excellent matches. Is it worth it to go to a more expensive school that matches better?

Or do you just take the lower costs and lower probability of matching at a great hospital? I know everyone says, even program directors, that school quality doesn't matter as much in the match, at the same time you can see a huge difference in these match lists (which could be because they have better students in the first place obviously).

After interest this is a 100-130k decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any sort of support network near either school?

I would personally go to the school with the best quality. I know people keep saying follow money but i think money will show up later. if you have better opportunities, you will be happier and perform better

just my 2 cents good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Both would be OOS, no support/network.

One school is mostly IS, so I feel like some of the students just go there because it's cheaper, even though it wasn't necessarily their first choice. The other school happens to be a very high percentage OOS and it is P/F, which combined leads to a different atmosphere (a little more excited, pride of the school).

I just looked at it statistically. About ~1/3 of the expensive school was matching into these top tier hospitals compared to ~1/10 at the other school (http://health.usnews.com/health-new...0/07/14/best-hospitals-2010-11-the-honor-roll).

Here's the thing, I don't even care about money that much. I do want to be debt free but I don't care about living the high life. I definitely would want to train at a top hospital though. Hence why this decision is so difficult.

I voted for the more expensive option that is better at matching into competitive programs/specialties...largely because I know that's what I want to do down the road.

It would help if you just said which schools your talking about and what your future plans are.

This question seems to be the essence of all the school comparison questions that everyones been posting, it seems. The more expensive school will (supposedly) place you in a more focused environment among your peers, encouraging you to excel more yourself. And, without a doubt, the more expensive schools tend to land more competitive schools/residencies. On the other hand, many argue that this will have a minor effect in the end. That as long as you finish residency in your desired specialty, finding a job will not be much, if any, easier than if you graduated from a more competitive hospital.

Of course, I'm only a premed doing nothing more than regurgitating hearsay and taking space up on a wall. But I'd be interested in hearing what someone with hindsight has to say!

This question seems to be the essence of all the school comparison questions that everyones been posting, it seems. The more expensive school will (supposedly) place you in a more focused environment among your peers, encouraging you to excel more yourself. And, without a doubt, the more expensive schools tend to land more competitive schools/residencies. On the other hand, many argue that this will have a minor effect in the end. That as long as you finish residency in your desired specialty, finding a job will not be much, if any, easier than if you graduated from a more competitive hospital.

Of course, I'm only a premed doing nothing more than regurgitating hearsay and taking space up on a wall. But I'd be interested in hearing what someone with hindsight has to say!

You frequently hear people say to go with the money. I question that logic. If you are comparing similar schools that might make sense, but if you are comparing the top medical schools with lesser rated programs, I think you might be surprised that there are differences in the quality of the education.

There are students in lesser ranked schools who can and do work hard, do very well and get into excellent residencies. When you look at match lists you will observe that the number of those students who get into top residencies from lesser ranked programs are relatively few in number when compared to the schools ranked in the top ten percent (give or take).

Then there are your classmates. An average (or median) MCAT score of 35 or 36 is very different than an MCAT average of 30 or 31 and an average GPA of 3.8 is not the same as a 3.4. These differences are recognized by residency programs.

What the better programs also give you are options. How many new med students end up in a different specialty than they thought they would? The number is very high. Not everyone graduates first in their class. Better residencies are available to more students from top programs than from lesser ranked schools.

While money matters, it is not the only consideration, or perhaps should not be the primary factor as to what med school you finally select.

A doctor I shadowed gave me some sound advice--if you really like a school more than your other options, go to it no matter the cost. Life is about experiences, and you'll probably always resent it a little if you don't go to the best school you got into. Also, as a physician you'll be able to safely pay back your loans if you're not completely ridiculous with money.

Some more statistics from their match lists:

These are all rough estimates and some are skewed a bit...

Expensive

• 1/60 go into family medicine
  • 1/3 go into primary care (mostly IM)
  • 1/5 go into internal medicine (half were at honor roll hospitals)
  • 1/25 go into neurosurgery
  • 1/16 go into ortho
  • 1/50 go into plastics
  • 1/50 go into ent

Less Expensive

• 1/4 go into family medicine
  • 1/2 go into primary care
  • 1/10 go into internal medicine
  • 1/70 go into neurosurgery
  • 1/100 go into ent
  • 1/33 go into ortho
  • 1/100 go into plastics
Also, like I said, the frequency of honor roll hospitals is much higher on the expensive school. At least 5-7 times more overall.

I was in a similar situation. A very expensive school with an insane match list vs. a cheaper in state school where a lot of the grads stay in state (but match into a decent variety of specialties). I ultimately decided to go with the cheaper option. I'm confident in my ability to do well enough to land a solid residency and I'll come out with 100k in savings (factoring in interest) after all is said and done. 100k is a moderately sized house these days in many parts of the country.

Personally, I think 200k in debt is just disgusting and I couldn't pull the trigger. I don't regret this decision.

If you're interested in research/academic career, I think the extra 85k can possibly be justified. But keep in mind that academic physicians make less on average and this combined with the extra debt load may translate into tangible differences in lifestyle. But this may not be important to you.

When it's all said and done, getting into a more prestigious residency probably isn't going to make much difference in terms of landing a job if you're just looking to do private practice or work at a community hospital.

Some more statistics from their match lists:

These are all rough estimates and some are skewed a bit...

Expensive

• 1/60 go into family medicine
  • 1/3 go into primary care (mostly IM)
  • 1/5 go into internal medicine (half were at honor roll hospitals)
  • 1/25 go into neurosurgery
  • 1/16 go into ortho
  • 1/50 go into plastics
  • 1/50 go into ent

Less Expensive

• 1/4 go into family medicine
  • 1/2 go into primary care
  • 1/10 go into internal medicine
  • 1/70 go into neurosurgery
  • 1/100 go into ent
  • 1/33 go into ortho
  • 1/100 go into plastics
Also, like I said, the frequency of honor roll hospitals is much higher on the expensive school. At least 5-7 times more overall.

Those numbers tell you far more about the desires of the students at the respective schools than it does about the schools themselves. This phenomenon of selection bias is what makes interpreting match lists a fool's game.

You say that after interest this is a 100K-130K decision, but you will actually have to earn significantly more than that in order to clear enough after-tax income to cover the added cost. All of a sudden things are creeping closer and closer to 150K-200K.

Let's say you were considering purchasing one of two houses: one costs 150K and another costs 300K. Under normal circumstances you would want to obtain something tangible for selecting the more expensive home: more space, better construction, better location, etc.

In your current dilemma you are essentially proposing to pay a great deal of money for something of no predictable, tangible benefit. I think part of this stems from the so-called pain of paying, a pain we are able to psychologically avoid by taking out loans (essentially paying for med school on credit).

The pain will come, eventually. I feel it now each month when I direct money towards debt rather than retirement savings, a 529, or a Porsche.

Perhaps we also overly romanticize our future at the top ranked school. The simple truth is that every M1 in the country starts out the same way: with a huge pile of basic, standardized medical knowledge to digest and the same Step 1 to conquer. The name on your med school diploma is going to be pretty far down on the list of things that influences your career. In the end you are going to dictate your success by how smart you are, how hard you work, and how well you can play the game.

Those numbers tell you far more about the desires of the students at the respective schools than it does about the schools themselves. This phenomenon of selection bias is what makes interpreting match lists a fool's game.

You say that after interest this is a 100K-130K decision, but you will actually have to earn significantly more than that in order to clear enough after-tax income to cover the added cost. All of a sudden things are creeping closer and closer to 150K-200K.

Let's say you were considering purchasing one of two houses: one costs 150K and another costs 300K. Under normal circumstances you would want to obtain something tangible for selecting the more expensive home: more space, better construction, better location, etc.

In your current dilemma you are essentially proposing to pay a great deal of money for something of no predictable, tangible benefit. I think part of this stems from the so-called pain of paying, a pain we are able to psychologically avoid by taking out loans (essentially paying for med school on credit).

The pain will come, eventually. I feel it now each month when I direct money towards debt rather than retirement savings, a 529, or a Porsche.

Perhaps we also overly romanticize our future at the top ranked school. The simple truth is that every M1 in the country starts out the same way: with a huge pile of basic, standardized medical knowledge to digest and the same Step 1 to conquer. The name on your med school diploma is going to be pretty far down on the list of things that influences your career. In the end you are going to dictate your success by how smart you are, how hard you work, and how well you can play the game.

That's a great explanation. A lot of my friends who are currently in their residency/fellowship year said exactly the same thing.
I ended up choosing a top 45 school instead of a top 10 school due to financial reason and the fact that I feel I will get the same education wherever I go.

This is one of the more difficult decisions I've had.

I honestly believe my education quality will be the same, although the pass fail from the expensive school seems superior. Its hard because seeing the matches at great hospitals and specialties is alluring. Big city vs small I guess.

I guess as parts unknown said, its a 130k or so bet on an uncertainty or a probability.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a great explanation. A lot of my friends who are currently in their residency/fellowship year said exactly the same thing.
I ended up choosing a top 45 school instead of a top 10 school due to financial reason and the fact that I feel I will get the same education wherever I go.

Using money as part of the decision making process is fine, but to say all educations are the same is just naive.

Why would you make that assumption? Do you think the students at Harvard, Penn and Hopkins (1, 2, 3) are the same as Georgetown or MC of Wisconsin (45, 45). They aren't. A 30 or 31 on the MCATs is much easier to get than a 36. The same is true for a GPA of 3.5 vs a 3.8. On average the students with the top numbers are smarter and/or more motivated. Wouldn't you assume that peer pressure might contribute something to the learning process. Wouldn't you also assume that the profs and docs who teach at the top programs are better than those in the lesser programs? How about the clinical years? Are they the same also? How about the resources of the top schools? Do they not invest anything in improving their learning environment?

What some here are saying is that if all schools use the same textbooks, the results will be the same. That is an absurd conclusion.

As for your friends in residency or fellowship, without knowing the details, I just can't accept your answer as being valid. If you are saying that you both end up with an MD and board certification, you are correct. If you are saying that, on average, people educated at the best med schools and top residencies don't come out as better physicians, I would suggest that you are guilty of wishful thinking.

Docbeme said:
Wouldn't you also assume that the profs and docs who teach at the top programs are better than those in the lesser programs?

Alas, education is always the third wheel in academic medicine. When filling a faculty post department chairs have to make a conscious decision whether they want to bring in revenue via research dollars (hiring faculty who are savvy at writing grants and can do enough service work to keep the place afloat) or by expanding clinical services (hiring faculty who can move a lot of meat with competent precision).

Being a successful medical researcher or a top notch clinician does not make one a great educator. Teaching interest/abilities rarely even enter the equation. Over the course of your training you will in fact encounter a few individuals who truly take an interest in you and teach you something outside the books, and I don't think you are any more likely to find these individuals in Massachusetts than Mississippi.

So no, I would not assume that at all.

Using money as part of the decision making process is fine, but to say all educations are the same is just naive.

Why would you make that assumption? Do you think the students at Harvard, Penn and Hopkins (1, 2, 3) are the same as Georgetown or MC of Wisconsin (45, 45). They aren't. A 30 or 31 on the MCATs is much easier to get than a 36. The same is true for a GPA of 3.5 vs a 3.8. On average the students with the top numbers are smarter and/or more motivated. Wouldn't you assume that peer pressure might contribute something to the learning process. Wouldn't you also assume that the profs and docs who teach at the top programs are better than those in the lesser programs? How about the clinical years? Are they the same also? How about the resources of the top schools? Do they not invest anything in improving their learning environment?

What some here are saying is that if all schools use the same textbooks, the results will be the same. That is an absurd conclusion.

As for your friends in residency or fellowship, without knowing the details, I just can't accept your answer as being valid. If you are saying that you both end up with an MD and board certification, you are correct. If you are saying that, on average, people educated at the best med schools and top residencies don't come out as better physicians, I would suggest that you are guilty of wishful thinking.

You touched on something I've thought about. I wonder if the social pressure to do well adds to the success of the match. If everyone is stretching to be great vs. Not really motivated because your doing a FM in a rural area. Not to bash fm in anywhere, but you don't need to perform as well during school. People say the match lists don't mean much but it seems like they mean something.

Isn't there something to say when your students match to all these great hospitals? I mean, I guess the end goal is board certification but I think it would be cool to train at a world renown hospital rather than just gaining board certification

If you are saying that, on average, people educated at the best med schools and top residencies don't come out as better physicians, I would suggest that you are guilty of wishful thinking.

Au contraire, the wishful thinking may be on your part - unless you can produce data that supports your position. I remember reading a study a while back done in Mass. that compared Ivy-educated physicians with those educated at non-Ivy places. These are physicians that had been in practice for >= 10 years if I remember correctly. Anyways, no significant difference was found between the groups.

Anyways, the educational debate has been carried out ad infinitum on these forums. I think the clear consensus among the med students is that most learning is carried out on your own in front of a book, lecture slides, etc.

Here is a link to a write-up of the study I mentioned.

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2010/09/27/prsb0927.htm

If you can produce any studies showing a difference in quality vs "elite" vs "non-elite" grads I would be very interested to read them.

Au contraire, the wishful thinking may be on your part - unless you can produce data that supports your position. I remember reading a study a while back done in Mass. that compared Ivy-educated physicians with those educated at non-Ivy places. These are physicians that had been in practice for >= 10 years if I remember correctly. Anyways, no significant difference was found between the groups.

Anyways, the educational debate has been carried out ad infinitum on these forums. I think the clear consensus among the med students is that most learning is carried out on your own in front of a book, lecture slides, etc.

Here is a link to a write-up of the study I mentioned.

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2010/09/27/prsb0927.htm

If you can produce any studies showing a difference in quality vs "elite" vs "non-elite" grads I would be very interested to read them.

Without looking at the source material, it is hard to dissect the data. I would assume that most physicians have accurate diagnoses most of the time and can prescribe the right medication when required. And you also miss a major point, namely, that medical school is only the first step. How about your residency training? Are you suggesting that makes no difference? In large part, going to better med schools opens the door to better residencies.

From the article:

For example, the average board-certified, U.S.-trained female physician scored only 5.9% better on performance measures than a noncertified, foreign-trained male doctor.

While 5.9 percent might seem like a small number, I would suggest that that number would carry huge statistical significance.

Here is a link to a story about the correlation of malpractice claims to medical school.

http://thestressoflife.com/is_medical_malpractice_academic.htm and what I believe is the source document:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1743759/pdf/v012p00330.pdf

I'd still go to the better school.

Last edited:
Alas, education is always the third wheel in academic medicine. When filling a faculty post department chairs have to make a conscious decision whether they want to bring in revenue via research dollars (hiring faculty who are savvy at writing grants and can do enough service work to keep the place afloat) or by expanding clinical services (hiring faculty who can move a lot of meat with competent precision).

Being a successful medical researcher or a top notch clinician does not make one a great educator. Teaching interest/abilities rarely even enter the equation. Over the course of your training you will in fact encounter a few individuals who truly take an interest in you and teach you something outside the books, and I don't think you are any more likely to find these individuals in Massachusetts than Mississippi.

So no, I would not assume that at all.

Mississippi vs Harvard - you may not see a difference, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would think most people would go with Harvard trained physicians. Each to their own.

Out of curiosity, since you are an attending, would you mind sharing where you went to school and where you did your residency?

Mississippi vs Harvard - you may not see a difference, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would think most people would go with Harvard trained physicians. Each to their own.

Allow me to rephrase.

There is no debate that students entering top medical schools have, on average, better numbers than their counterparts entering mid-tier or lower-tier schools. They are more likely to seek out competitive fields and vie for residency programs based on name/prestige over other factors. Smarts + drive = great lookin' match list.

What is debatable is whether Ride the wave will have post-graduate opportunities coming out of the higher ranked school that justify the extra cost. If there is evidence that a higher ranked school will increase his board scores or improve his clinical grades, I would like to see it. Aside from that it's a simple matter of his priorities, and those we cannot dictate.

If I were choosing between two doctors, one Harvard trained and one Mississippi trained, and knew nothing else about them, I would choose the Harvard one. But that choice would be based on the fact that someone who can get into Harvard is almost certainly very bright an accomplished. Not that Harvard itself did anything great in educating him.

Of course that's never how it is. If I need a shoulder replaced I will find the best person in the area to do it. It doesn't matter if he/she went to Harvard, Mississippi, or Saba, this is a results oriented profession, and my approach is to evaluate individuals, not pedigrees.

Docbeme said:
Out of curiosity, since you are an attending, would you mind sharing where you went to school and where you did your residency?

One was mid-tier, one was top-tier, so I got to find out what I had been missing.

I think residency results and USMLE step scores have more to do with your initiative and by hard work rather than any specific thing offered by the school, unless one curriculum is more specifically geared for the STEP 1.

Also - I assume you're purposefully not naming the schools. But could you? I think that could give us some clarity in giving you perspective if we have experience with those schools.

ive done so much research on this issue

consensus:

pre-meds and those not in medicine --- PRESTIGE
anyone who has gone through the process with debt --- MONEY

Allow me to rephrase.

There is no debate that students entering top medical schools have, on average, better numbers than their counterparts entering mid-tier or lower-tier schools. They are more likely to seek out competitive fields and vie for residency programs based on name/prestige over other factors. Smarts + drive = great lookin' match list.

What is debatable is whether Ride the wave will have post-graduate opportunities coming out of the higher ranked school that justify the extra cost. If there is evidence that a higher ranked school will increase his board scores or improve his clinical grades, I would like to see it. Aside from that it's a simple matter of his priorities, and those we cannot dictate.

If I were choosing between two doctors, one Harvard trained and one Mississippi trained, and knew nothing else about them, I would choose the Harvard one. But that choice would be based on the fact that someone who can get into Harvard is almost certainly very bright an accomplished. Not that Harvard itself did anything great in educating him.

Of course that's never how it is. If I need a shoulder replaced I will find the best person in the area to do it. It doesn't matter if he/she went to Harvard, Mississippi, or Saba, this is a results oriented profession, and my approach is to evaluate individuals, not pedigrees.

One was mid-tier, one was top-tier, so I got to find out what I had been missing.

I can understand why avoiding debt might be a seductive reason to go with one school over another, or in Gerrard's case, being close to his girlfriend and family were important considerations, along with money. All of us make different choices for different reasons, but the choices we make shouldn't be used to argue against attending the best institutions. The desire to be a doctor provides a very large pool of qualified, although not equal, applicants.

You attempt to state your argument by talking about exceptions, and most certainly there are exceptions. That is not what is being discussed.

The argument that you get the same education regardless of where you attend school just defies logic. In one case, you have a set of students, often from elite universities, most having graduated summa, with MCAT scores in the 97-99 percentile range, educate him or her at a top medical school for four years, and then have that same student do a residency at a program where patients with unusual conditions are treated. In the other case, everything is notched down one level, yet you seem to suggest that you get the same product. Not everyone has the same intellect and not all schools or training programs are the same.

It is not that you won't get a solid education in the less highly regarded med schools and residencies, because I am sure you will. What most won't get, when all is said and done, is the same level of training.

Only here on SDN do people suggest that the med school you attend won't make a difference. In other disciplines like law or engineering or business, there is tremendous pressure to go to the best programs and from what I understand from classmates going into these areas, recruiters are very aware of the differences in institutions which translates into the quality of the student who graduates from the better programs.

ive done so much research on this issue

consensus:

pre-meds and those not in medicine --- PRESTIGE
anyone who has gone through the process with debt --- MONEY

I have noticed that time and time again. People still won't listen.

Only here on SDN do people suggest that the med school you attend won't make a difference. In other disciplines like law or engineering or business, there is tremendous pressure to go to the best programs and from what I understand from classmates going into these areas, recruiters are very aware of the differences in institutions which translates into the quality of the student who graduates from the better programs.

It's not on SDN -- program directors complete a survey periodically which states what they consider important. The school name is ALWAYS deep in this list, far below things like Step 1, clinical year evaluations etc. Additionally those of us in residency can tell you that in your and every field, you are going to be working with co-residents who went to brand name and not so brand name med schools -- and both are going to be pretty solid. If you go to a non-brand name school, you can still do derm or plastics. You can still do an academic fellowship. It simply comes down to you. Honestly, it matters in pre-allo on SDN far more than it matters anywhere else.

Now I won't say that you wouldn't have more research opportunities at a research heavy school. You may have more faculty who are in the major academic societies and editors of the major journals and can plug you into opportunities on those things. But frequently a place without as many bigwigs is a place where you can actually network with faculty members to the point that they will actually pick up the phone on your behalf come residency time. Some of those folks from less stodgy ivy towers seem to have had folks do a whole lot more for them to get them into good residencies.

But in terms of what matters, go to where you think you would be happiest, because where you are happiest is where you will thrive, do well on Step 1, and really learn. And that matters a whole lot more than the name on the hospital. Match lists don't matter because that mostly reflects where folks want to go, not where they could get. The top student at many (most) med schools goes into IM or surgery each year. That doesn't mean they couldn't get derm, it means they didn't want derm. For most people, it's about going into what you want to do for a living.

It's easier to appreciate at the end of med school, but as a premed, you have no clue what you are going to like, dislike, and what you think you can stand doing all day, every day for the next 40 years. It's not about the money, it's not about the prestige. It's about what you enjoy, find interesting, and want to make a career of. Additionally, lots of people have reasons to stay in certain areas, to follow spouses, etc by the end of med school. So their residency choices may reflect that a lot more than where they could get. And so on. Most of the time you have no clue from a match list as to what a person could get, just what they chose. You also don't know what programs are good versus malignant (and all hospitals have some good and some bad programs), so something that looks to you like a brand name place might be a bad choice of residency in a particular specialty. As a premed you won't know this, so you misread the match list as "wow a good place" rather than "boy, this guy must've been scraping the bottom of the barrel in his specialty".

As to the difference in fields like eg. law -- you have to realize that there are many many more law schools out there. There are only about 125 US allo med schools, each with about a 150 person class. In law there are at least 4 times this number of people. Most cities with one med school have multiple law schools, each with larger class sizes. And there aren't the number of jobs out there for law grads. And no big cross school test upon which you can base comparisons like medicine has. So yeah, in law it's so super saturated that you have to only look at the top 20 or so schools. You have nothing else to look at to cull the herd to a manageable level. But in medicine it's the other way round -- there actually are very few med students out there, 16,000 each year competing for 24000 spots, so they (US allo med schools) are all good, and all worthy of program director consideration if paired with a high Step 1. It's not the same analysis at all.

As for business, you don't really go to professional schools for business. The MBA isn't a professional degree, it's a degree you get after you become a business professional. It is meant to allow a business professional to take the next step. Which is why most of the better business schools require 2 years of business experience before you can even apply, and why most employers pay for it. And which in turn is why most people don't regard 90% of them as useful -- something you pay for yourself to make yourself look better for a field that generally hires people without them is simply not as useful. It's an apples and oranges comparison with a JD or MD, where you can't even get into the field without one. I don't know much about engineering, but suspect that it's more academic geared than professionally geared.

Last edited:
All of us make different choices for different reasons, but the choices we make shouldn't be used to argue against attending the best institutions.

The problem with this sentiment is that one man's best is another man's bathwater.

Docbeme said:
The argument that you get the same education regardless of where you attend school just defies logic.

Actually I have never argued that the education is identical, although the content is highly standardized by the LCME. But there isn't nearly as much variation as you may think in clinical training. A heart attack in Boston is the same as a heart attack in Hattiesburg.

I know, I know, it's hard to accept.

Premed Myth of Top Ranked School: Your renal professor, fresh off his first Nobel, regales the class with a brief, off-the-cuff exposition on Virgil's lesser works. He then lays out a stunning audiovisual presentation where he permanently crystallizes every nuance of the nephron forever in your brain. Afterward he buys the entire class a beer and introduces you to every program director from Hopkins.

Premed Myth of the Lower Ranked School: A pale and clumsy assistant professor, himself having done his nephrology fellowship a the local community college, dryly recites a mind-numbing lecture. He uses transparencies.

The Reality of Both Schools: You sit in a cubicle in the library with a copy of STARS Physiology, just trying to remember which ion pump does what where.

Above I mentioned priorities, and if one's goal is to become the youngest chair of cardiothoracic surgery on the eastern seaboard, heading to a big name school would be of benefit.

Docbeme said:
In the other case, everything is notched down one level,

You are being overly presumptive. Medicine is a rather small profession, able to cull the best and brightest. There are painfully brilliant doctors everywhere, just as there is great pathology everywhere. What there is not is some tidy correlation where everything gets "notched down" in tandem with the US News rankings.

Last edited:
First, thanks to all for the advice. It's hard to ignore common sense answers from those who have been down the road. I'm leaning a bit to the less expensive option.

One thing that Law2Doc said about happiness, I feel like I would be happier at a P/F school (expensive one) that is known to prepare people for the boards better. I also feel like since it is private/highly OOS students, they are more social with each other. The issue is that it's perceived happiness (gut instinct). It's hard to make a 6 figure bet on my perceptions of happiness.

I'm still torn but the pragmatic side of me thinks I should just take the full ride.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I did like what one guy said in a similar thread, "Just chose the cheaper one and post-decision cognitive dissonance should take care of the rest."

One interesting thing that people mention, "it depends on your ambitions." That is the hard thing. You really don't know exactly what specialty you want to do until later. It's hard for me to know if I really want to do a competitive surgical specialty or if I will end up leaning towards a ROAD or emergency. Who knows? That's why it's hard to make the 6 figure bet on an unknown factor.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I have to decide later this week and will post what I decided.

Last edited:
where L2D finds the time in a resident's schedule to spill this quantity of 0s and 1s on here is a mystery. thanks to you and Parts, once again. no matter how often these posts pop up, you guys never seem to tire of responding to them :D

especially love the "pale and clumsy assistant professor" :laugh: i attend a USNWR ranked (not top 50) US allo school, and i have to say that the quality of the basic science instruction so far has been superlative, beyond anything i ever expected. not to mention the fact that most of them were trained at the same research powerhouse institutions as their colleagues at H/JHU/Penn were. how about them apples??

I feel like I would be happier at a P/F school (expensive one) that is known to prepare people for the boards better.

don't go down this road of thinking that one school does a better job with boards prep than another. i have yet to see any good data that suggests anything other than the fact that a school with better students tends to produce better boards outcomes, which should be obvious. a big part of the pre-med weed out is selecting for people who can write the hell out of a multiple-choice exam.

also, i know that you aren't set on a career track yet. know that, should you decide to pursue primary care, there are many "unranked" places that would put you in a better position to do that than a "top 20" could.

The argument that you get the same education regardless of where you attend school just defies logic. In one case, you have a set of students, often from elite universities, most having graduated summa, with MCAT scores in the 97-99 percentile range, educate him or her at a top medical school for four years, and then have that same student do a residency at a program where patients with unusual conditions are treated. In the other case, everything is notched down one level, yet you seem to suggest that you get the same product. Not everyone has the same intellect and not all schools or training programs are the same.

I had a response planned out for this but whoever talked about the professor introducing the students to the faculty at JHU over beers really nailed it.

Only a premed with zero insight into how medical school really exists could conceive such beautifully oversimplified logic to support their zeal for the prestigious.

It's all notched down a level, people!

Woops wrong thread.

Last edited:
one point that should be noted (this coming from a friend of mine who is a dermatologist who went to HMS...so take it for what it's worth):

Sometimes the big name institutions have better availability to good departments in the competitive fields. It's hard to get into derm (and others) in the first place. It's pretty helpful if your university has a great department in that field so that when you apply for residencies you actually have some experience in that area. I suppose the assumption is that top 20s have stronger departments in these fields that you may not get a chance to be exposed to at an institution that cranks out FP docs.

Like I said...second hand info...discuss...

The costs are only 90k more. One school is full tuition (Top 40 US News), while the other is about half tuition (Top 20 US News). Hence the 90k difference. (It isn't UPenn though, btw. That is another thread).

Everyone in the know seems to be recommending me to follow the money. I think I'll be happy wherever I decide to be. Decision is this week. I really appreciate all the input and hopefully others in this predicament in the future can benefit.

Last edited:
You'll be able to do whatever you want from either. The ranking difference is negligible.

You made it sound like you were between a top 10 med school and one that wasn't ranked.

Yes, they are less than 30 rankings apart. In my defense, I tried to list objective data as opposed to just saying "expensive vs less expensive".

You guys have convinced me that I will not be better in the match. Now I'm just trying to decide based upon what school I liked and felt most comfortable at (obviously not the cheaper one). 85k + interest for an environment that I think I'd be happier in and possibly excel more in (also, P/F). It's a hard choice. But then again, I came in with no expectations. Regardless of what I chose, I owe less than a person going to a state school with no scholarship.

I think the UPenn vs Kentucky thread got mixed with this. It was never my intention to say it was a top 5 US News vs a 70th ranking or whatever. Both schools are very good, it just appears their missions are different (or they attract different students).

You'll be able to do whatever you want from either. The ranking difference is negligible.

You made it sound like you were between a top 10 med school and one that wasn't ranked.

+1...seriously? I thought this debate was about a much less ranked or unranked program. Take the $ and run.

Yes, they are less than 30 rankings apart. In my defense, I tried to list objective data as opposed to just saying "expensive vs less expensive".

You guys have convinced me that I will not be better in the match. Now I'm just trying to decide based upon what school I liked and felt most comfortable at (obviously not the cheaper one). 85k + interest for an environment that I think I'd be happier in and possibly excel more in (also, P/F). It's a hard choice. But then again, I came in with no expectations. Regardless of what I chose, I owe less than a person going to a state school with no scholarship.

I think the UPenn vs Kentucky thread got mixed with this. It was never my intention to say it was a top 5 US News vs a 70th ranking or whatever. Both schools are very good, it just appears their missions are different (or they attract different students).

not sure top 5 and 60 would have made much of a difference in your responses anyways. the other thread has a greater proportion of people choosing kentucky over penn

can current med students chime in. is pass/fail really that much better than honors/pass/fail?

not sure top 5 and 60 would have made much of a difference in your responses anyways. the other thread has a greater proportion of people choosing kentucky over penn

can current med students chime in. is pass/fail really that much better than honors/pass/fail?

What I wonder even more is if P/F or H/P/F vs. ABCDF matters as much as grades determined on a curve or just by class performance.

The results are in:

MONEY
Money%20Affilate.jpg

Btw, thanks to:

• membername3
  • Law2Doc
  • Parts Unknown
  • Pompacil
  • gl0baltrader
  • bucks2010
  • Dr Gerrard
  • gravitywave
  • Geekchick921

Your advice mattered and likely just saved me 150k. Keep up the good work. In the end, I couldn't justify the small benefits for the extra $. And, although the match list is significantly better, you all convinced me that I can match just as well from wherever.

The results are in:

MONEY
Money%20Affilate.jpg

Btw, thanks to:

• membername3
  • Law2Doc
  • Parts Unknown
  • Pompacil
  • gl0baltrader
  • bucks2010
  • Dr Gerrard
  • gravitywave
  • Geekchick921

Your advice mattered and likely just saved me 150k. Keep up the good work. In the end, I couldn't justify the small benefits for the extra $. And, although the match list is significantly better, you all convinced me that I can match just as well from wherever.

I noticed that you did not include those of us who had a different opinion, so I guess others gave you what you wanted to hear.

There are numerous threads on SDN showing this year's match results. You might want to review what they show.

If your academic performance blows the doors off the barn, as others have told you, you will be fine regardless of the institution you attend. If your academics are only average, match results indicate the better programs for many specialties may be beyond your reach. You may not care about that, but I do. Here are the links to the 2011 match for Kentucky and for 2010 for Penn (didn't easily find their 2011 results) which was the subject of another "take the money and run" thread. Draw your own conclusions.

http://www.mc.uky.edu/medalum/2011matchlist.pdf
http://www.med.upenn.edu/alumni/matchday

I noticed that you did not include those of us who had a different opinion, so I guess others gave you what you wanted to hear.

There are numerous threads on SDN showing this year's match results. You might want to review what they show.

If your academic performance blows the doors off the barn, as others have told you, you will be fine regardless of the institution you attend. If your academics are only average, match results indicate the better programs for many specialties may be beyond your reach. You may not care about that, but I do. Here are the links to the 2011 match for Kentucky and for 2010 for Penn (didn't easily find their 2011 results) which was the subject of another "take the money and run" thread. Draw your own conclusions.

http://www.mc.uky.edu/medalum/2011matchlist.pdf
http://www.med.upenn.edu/alumni/matchday

advice of multiple attendings/residents/med students > one ignorant pre-med.

what people are saying is that, no, your opinion doesn't matter as much. it pretty much boils down to the fact that you are only considering one possible definition of the word 'better' here, when the reality is that M4's have differing ideas of what that word means. it's something you'll start to understand "better" with experience :laugh:

thanks for thanking us, OP, and good luck!

Well, I'm not a medical student or anything yet, and others offered you more advice than I did, but I think you're absolutely making the right decision. I'm a non-trad and therefore have some more adult life experience. And FWIW, a couple doctors I work with that I told I was applying to medical school told me, flat out, to go to whatever school offered me the best financial aide package (thank God it was my favorite). This was from younger doctors, too, who have a lot more debt than their older counterparts, and are probably still paying it off, too.

Well, I'm not a medical student or anything yet, and others offered you more advice than I did, but I think you're absolutely making the right decision. I'm a non-trad and therefore have some more adult life experience. And FWIW, a couple doctors I work with that I told I was applying to medical school told me, flat out, to go to whatever school offered me the best financial aide package (thank God it was my favorite). This was from younger doctors, too, who have a lot more debt than their older counterparts, and are probably still paying it off, too.

Exactly. I used this thread and doctors I knew, and they gave me the same advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.