Compilation FOAMEd (= Free Open Access Med Education) Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMgordo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Update - had to take down the site after all. Didn't have time for maintenance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Nice concept. I've always thought that weingarts earlier work is better than the stuff he puts out now

Reactions: 2 users
Nice concept. I've always thought that weingarts earlier work is better than the stuff he puts out now
You mean his constant, “I have no evidence to back any of this up, but it works 100% of the time for me” recommendations? Yeah, that gets a bit tiresome.

Reactions: 1 user
This is great especially since Aliem Air doesn't really organize their series that well and isn't as all-encompassing (or maybe they just think everything is ****)

So we are going to move this to a FOAM specific thread in Gen Res. Hopefully more people will get some use out of it and you'll get more. I find a lot of EM FOAM content is used by other acute care specialties as well.

Reactions: 1 users
So we are going to move this to a FOAM specific thread in Gen Res. Hopefully more people will get some use out of it and you'll get more. I find a lot of EM FOAM content is used by other acute care specialties as well.
Done and re-titled to make it more general.

If you can, change the title of the thread to the full words of the acronym so its easier to search and people know what they are clicking on...

... then again i only clicked on it to see if i could learn what foamed meant --- the above posts gave a few clues... is it free online (a!!) medical education?

I can't change the title since the mods have helped make this a sticky and update the title, but to explain a bit further...

FOAMed = free open access medical education. The website lifeinthefastlane has a great page summarizing the FOAM movement if you google for it (I can't insert any links until I hit a certain number of posts), but copy and pasted from one of their paragraphs:

"FOAM is a collection of resources, a community and an ethos. The FOAM community spontaneously emerged from the collection of constantly evolving, collaborative and interactive open access medical education resources being distributed on the web with one objective — to make the world a better place. FOAM is independent of platform or media — it includes blogs, podcasts, tweets, Google hangouts, online videos, text documents, photographs, facebook groups, and a whole lot more."

If you are familiar with some of the really popular medical podcasts like emcrit, louisville lectures, etc --- these are all examples of FOAMed.

My website comes in to address the fact that FOAM has been exploding and there is now so much content that we need to have tools to help people sort through it all and find the best of the best content.

If you can, change the title of the thread to the full words of the acronym so its easier to search and people know what they are clicking on...

... then again i only clicked on it to see if i could learn what foamed meant --- the above posts gave a few clues... is it free online (a!!) medical education?
I too had to google it - it appears to stand for Free Open Access Medical Education. The vast majority of resources under that term seem to be geared for Emergency Medicine (with a secondary minority geared towards Critical Care, but seemingly from an EM perspective), but I will also admit I didn't spend too much time searching.

I too had to google it - it appears to stand for Free Open Access Medical Education. The vast majority of resources under that term seem to be geared for Emergency Medicine (with a secondary minority geared towards Critical Care, but seemingly from an EM perspective), but I will also admit I didn't spend too much time searching.

FOAM is a general term so it really encompasses any freely available medical content... I'm sure there is some for most every specialty but yes EM has been at the forefront. Some really popular IM content can be found through the "Louisville lectures" team, who essentially has recorded their resident and fellow didactics and made it openly available.

For an example of some good IM/critical care FOAM content, google "shock and hemodynamics in the CCU with Dr Brown Louisville Lectures" - she won an award for her teaching