FMG Anesthesiology Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Donmarza

Reaction score
At the risk of annoying everyone with another of this kind of thread I figured I would take the chance to ask some advice

Basically Im an FMG considering applying for an anesthesia residency this fall.
Was just hoping to get an idea of which tier programs I can consider going for if someone might be able to help

A little about me
UK grad, finished med school in 2018- graduated top 10% of class
Did my first work year (pre-registration) at one of London's most famous hospitals

Biochem undergrad: Top of biological sciences department every year

Step 1 257
Step 2 CK 260
Going to do CS in October

Ive won a national anatomy prize and taught anatomy at my medical school
No impressive research, a couple of presentations relating to radiology and ortho that I've done at national conferences.

I've done an elective in anesthesia for 1 month in the czech republic but otherwise there is very little anesthesia experience gained early on in the UK

I should have a couple of very good LORs from some vascular surgeons + probably one anesthesiologist

I have family in the midwest so was planning to apply relatively close to michigan.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good scores.
Have all your paperwork in order and apply early.
You will get interviews at most programs.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing I would say is that if you need a visa and don’t have an US letters of recommendation you might want to consider applying widely

Your application is solid, won’t hold you back.

Only question is visa status - some programs only take certain types, so be sure to clarify J1 vs H1b vs ???. Program websites and FRIEDA (google it) may be helpful here.

Your application is solid, won’t hold you back.

Only question is visa status - some programs only take certain types, so be sure to clarify J1 vs H1b vs ???. Program websites and FRIEDA (google it) may be helpful here.

Thanks, yea thats what im looking into now. The J1 has an odd requirement that I need to leave the country after training for 2 years, whereas the H1b doesnt. Currently as I've not done step 3 Im not eligible for H1b. Im going to try and speak to an immigration lawyer about this to clarify. I would like to retain the chance to stay in the US after residency, for family as well as practical reasons. Not the end of the world If I have to go back to the UK, but it would be annoying

I am also FMG, similar scores. I am applying to anesthesia this fall.
I will apply to Categorical, Advanced and IM-preliminary. A friend told me that if I apply to Categorical in one program I shouldn't apply to Advanced and Prelim in the same hospital so I wouldn't seem desperate. Is he right?

I will apply to Categorical, Advanced and IM-preliminary. A friend told me that if I apply to Categorical in one program I shouldn't apply to Advanced and Prelim in the same hospital so I wouldn't seem desperate. Is he right?

He’s wrong. This is done routinely - if you do an advanced program you’ll need to find a prelim intern year. Just shows you are interested in the institution. Fortunately advanced programs are slowly dying away so this will be less of a concern.

Reactions: 1 user
He’s wrong. This is done routinely - if you do an advanced program you’ll need to find a prelim intern year. Just shows you are interested in the institution. Fortunately advanced programs are slowly dying away so this will be less of a concern.

Thank you!

I am also FMG, similar scores. I am applying to anesthesia this fall.

He's definitely wrong about that. Hospitals that have both categorical/advanced spots expect that you'll probably apply to both. Any hospital with advanced positions will also expect you to apply for prelim spots at that hospital to help consolidate your training in one spot and will actually often help you get an interview for the prelim spot at the same time you are there for your advanced interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a Canadian citizen who went to medical school and residency in the USA several years ago. Northwestern and University of Chicago sponsor H1b Visa. I am faculty now although I am not part of the adcom. I do think you would be a great candidate and your stats will definitely be seen favorably. I never got any love from University of Michigan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user