FMA - Restrictions on use of "Doctor" Title

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmmaLee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attached below is from the Florida Physical Therapy Association regarding a new proposal (which I hope does not happen!):

"The Florida Medical Association is introducing legislation to restrict the title "Doctor" to ONLY physicians, osteopaths, podiatrists, dentists, chiropractors and optometrists in clinical settings. This means that ARNPs, physical therapists, speech therapists, pharmacists and others who have attained doctorate level academic accreditation would not be able to use the title "Doctor" in clinical settings despite their commensurate education and training. FPTA and allied physical therapy and healthcare professional academic and training programs will be working to resolves concerns about this proposed legislation."

What do you all think? I know there is much debate about physical therapist being called "Doctor" in the field. Although, it is in my opinion that if chiropractors with a Doctoral degree have the right to be called Doctor.... then physical therapists with a Doctoral degree should be able to be called Doctor. Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of how this may affect our profession, I am baffled that a state medical association (group of doctors) are fighting for the right for chiroproctors to use the title Dr. _______. I find that completely absurd.

Attached below is from the Florida Physical Therapy Association regarding a new proposal (which I hope does not happen!):

"The Florida Medical Association is introducing legislation to restrict the title "Doctor" to ONLY physicians, osteopaths, podiatrists, dentists, chiropractors and optometrists in clinical settings. This means that ARNPs, physical therapists, speech therapists, pharmacists and others who have attained doctorate level academic accreditation would not be able to use the title "Doctor" in clinical settings despite their commensurate education and training. FPTA and allied physical therapy and healthcare professional academic and training programs will be working to resolves concerns about this proposed legislation."

What do you all think? I know there is much debate about physical therapist being called "Doctor" in the field. Although, it is in my opinion that if chiropractors with a Doctoral degree have the right to be called Doctor.... then physical therapists with a Doctoral degree should be able to be called Doctor. Opinions?

Thanks for posting this, are you a Florida member? I can't find anything on it, must be one of those cases where you need to be a member for that respective state, I hate that.

It comes down to which professions have been calling themselves doctor for a certain period of time. That's the basis for their "legislation." So professional. It has zero to do with actual academic preparation, patient safety, confusion, or one profession vs the other. Garbage.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's ridiculous. Personally, I don't want to be referred to as "Doctor" anyway, but if someone has earned a doctorate degree then they have every right be referred to as such.

Our dean made an important point that we do need to designate what kind of doctor you are. Patients can get confused, so saying something like "hi, I'm Dr. ____, I'll be your physical therapist" is probably the best way to go about it.

It comes down to which professions have been calling themselves doctor for a certain period of time. That's the basis for their "legislation." So professional. It has zero to do with actual academic preparation, patient safety, confusion, or one profession vs the other. Garbage.

People and groups are protective of their prestige, title, and fame. This is a waste of time. I wonder if these doctors have anything better to do than to, like review the latest research so they can deliver better outcomes for their clients.

Kevin

I am from Florida and it doesn't matter in my opinion. It is a poor excuse to consider that telling a pt. I am a Dr. to gain credibility or justify all the hard work I had to do to become a PT. I am blessed to be in my position and I find it more important to be concerned with my effectiveness as a PT and staying up to date with evidence based research. Please remember it’s not the letters or title that comes before your name that speaks volume, it is how you act as a person. Being; honest, caring, and knowledgeable are some of the characteristics that should be displayed towards patients. These are essential actions that gain respect and notice. Actions speak louder than words and that includes doctor.

I am from Florida and it doesn't matter in my opinion. It is a poor excuse to consider that telling a pt. I am a Dr. to gain credibility or justify all the hard work I had to do to become a PT. I am blessed to be in my position and I find it more important to be concerned with my effectiveness as a PT and staying up to date with evidence based research. Please remember it's not the letters or title that comes before your name that speaks volume, it is how you act as a person. Being; honest, caring, and knowledgeable are some of the characteristics that should be displayed towards patients. These are essential actions that gain respect and notice. Actions speak louder than words and that includes doctor.

Lol. This was NOT the point I was trying to make. I think very few of us that are in the PT profession or are intending to be, did it strictly for the honor of being called "Doctor". That is just silly.....Otherwise we would have pursued being a MD and have gone to medical school. The point is, if you earned a Doctoral degree in anything, you deserve the right to be called Dr. That is just my opinion, others may differ.

I don't expect my patients to call me doctor. I agree with all of you that have said they introduce themselves as "the physical therapist", because patients can often be confused by the term Doctor and think you are a MD.

Last edited:
I am from Florida and it doesn't matter in my opinion. It is a poor excuse to consider that telling a pt. I am a Dr. to gain credibility or justify all the hard work I had to do to become a PT. I am blessed to be in my position and I find it more important to be concerned with my effectiveness as a PT and staying up to date with evidence based research. Please remember it’s not the letters or title that comes before your name that speaks volume, it is how you act as a person. Being; honest, caring, and knowledgeable are some of the characteristics that should be displayed towards patients. These are essential actions that gain respect and notice. Actions speak louder than words and that includes doctor.

Patient care is the most important but that doesn't mean everything else doesn't matter. This legislation is a slap in the face and further demonstrates the lack of respect the medical profession has for physical therapists including their education and practice rights. To me, it is not remotely about being able to call oneselt doctor in a clinic, I do not do this either and care little about that. It is the principal of the matter. It means a lot more than that. It implies that a doctorate in physical therapy is illegitimate. Any association that proposes legislation like this should be ashamed of themselves.

This really irks me.

And are people with PhD's in other fields not allowed to refer to themselves as Dr. Soandso anymore? What gives the FMA the right to dilute someone's qualifications and achievements simply based on their snobbish way of establishing a class system of medical professions?

:mad:

Well thankfully this has not been passed yet. But I'm worried if we don't start voicing our opinion about the issue now that it will pass. I guess the best we can do for now is spread the word and contact the state legislature and ask that they oppose it.

Well thankfully this has not been passed yet. But I'm worried if we don't start voicing our opinion about the issue now that it will pass. I guess the best we can do for now is spread the word and contact the state legislature and ask that they oppose it.

I agree EmmaLee we need to educate& advocate to legislature and the general public. More than just voicing our opinion we need to share knowledge. If I have the luxury of working as a PT on one of those state members I will defintely influence their lack of insight to understand the importance. I am glad to of made you laugh with my first reply, I was just looking at it from a different view. The thread you posted needs to be shared, thanks.

Could this also be an effort to combat direct access by taking away the title of Doctor from the physical therapy profession?

It's pretty silly that every healthcare profession has invented a doctorate to seek prestige. I'm glad they are clamping down on it.

It's pretty silly that every healthcare profession has invented a doctorate to seek prestige. I'm glad they are clamping down on it.

Too bad prestige has nothing to do with it. Troll on. 3/10.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does it have to do with?

It has to do with incompetence on the part of "real doctors" from the perspective of conservative care of NMSK conditions whilst the healthcare system is being bankrupted. It has to do with the necessity for a profession to culminate in a doctoral degree to break away from said incompetence via direct access and automony (by years of lobbying to change antiquated and baseless regulations). It has to do with physical therapy education being a victim of "curricular" inflation (vs "degree creep") as MSPT programs were already at a doctorate level based on credit load. It has to do with the ever expanding level of knowledge, research, evidence base, and eventual need for PT's to take on a leading role vs waste of time and make believe "supervision." It has to do with the medical establishements arrogance and lack of respect for any profession who isn't a "real doctor" and by virtue of that must be a midlevel of some kind. The reasons are pretty obvious, the medical establishment brought it on themselves via incompetence, arrogance, lack of respect, and trying to control things they have no business controlling. Why don't you give me a reason with physical therapy should not be at a doctorate level and don't include some lame anectdotes or commentary about another profession because it's not relevant.

Because "doctor" in the context of healthcare to pretty much everyone means someone who has completed 4 years of medical school and 3+ years of residency not a 3 year degree in a midlevel role.

The reason you shouldn't have direct access is obvious: you don't have the clinical foundation to rule out medical causes of the pain symptoms.

PM&R should always be the gateway to PT.

It's a terminal degree. It doesn't mean we're physicians. It doesn't mean we're practicing/ trying to practice medicine. We practice physical therapy. So in your mind, FM>PM&R>PT. You have no clue of the education and training a PT receives in NMSK disorders. It shows. Your peers have offered very good reasons as to why they think PTs should not have direct access, you however, did not. We're not advocating to be a medical gateway like some PA's and most if not all DNP's. Most of us, if not all want nothing to do with prescribing medication. What we want is direct access for physical therapy. But according to you, DPTs were after prestige, now they don't know the underlying causes. Which is it?

Also, besides the heading, did you even read what the OP was referring to? So a chiropractor can refer to themselves as doctor in a clinical setting, but a PT that practices evidenced based treatments can not? I personally wouldn't introduce myself as "Dr. Azi" but after completing my terminal degree - whether I use it or not, or if you like it or not - I've earned it.

Last edited:
Because "doctor" in the context of healthcare to pretty much everyone means someone who has completed 4 years of medical school and 3+ years of residency not a 3 year degree in a midlevel role.

The reason you shouldn't have direct access is obvious: you don't have the clinical foundation to rule out medical causes of the pain symptoms.

You are a misinformed and un-educated medical student. YOU have no idea what today's physical therapist goes through as far as training and our level of knowledge of MSK conditions, how to assess, treat, etc. No clue. Couple that with the fact that PTs now are doing residencies and fellowships to continue to better ourselves so that we may effectively and conservatively treat MSK patients. But wait, are the terms "residency"and "fellowship"soley for MDs and DOs? Absurd. PTs are part of the solution to this healthcare mess, not a part of the problem. Continually, I can fill this with anecdotal evidence of MSK dxs that the MDs and DOs in my area have missed or mis-diagnosed and I have referred back d/t concerns. Things like: compression fractures, ACL tears, neurological weakness of L4/5 (just one example), avulsion fractures, elbow fractures, c-spine fractures, tumors, MS, etc. The list goes on. But, I may just be lucky since I have no foundation to rule out medical causes of pain........
But, troll on man....Good luck as a practitioner. Thinking that, as a soon-to-be MD, you know everything is only going to burn bridges and make you look like an a$*.

Was this emailed to you? I can't find anything on the FPTA web site.

Here's the AMA's stance on this

The AMA's proposal seems reasonable to me. the excerpt from the communication you quoted previously does not.

Doctor in the context of healthcare to most everyone is antiquated and brainwashed regurgitation. Things change. I'm afraid many medical students, residents, physician's went to school for many of the wrong reasons (i.e. *prestige, money, power, and "to be a doctor"). How many times do you hear someone say they want to me a MD/DO because they're facinated with human disease, or really want to help people with medical problems. Never. It's because they want to be at the top of the medical professional hierarchy that happens to be status quo crapola. Physician's are just not as great as they are portrayed or thought of by "pretty much everyone", take their knowledge of conservative management of NMSK conditions for example. Yet you say PM&R physician's should always be the gateway to PT. PM&R physician's FYI are rarely a gateway to PT in the grand scheme, probably about 5%, thus having them always be a gateway to PT would be non patient centered, ignorant, misinformed, baseless, and not to mention devastating to the care of patient's. What would you know about this as a medical student anyway?

The reason why patient's should have access to physical therapists is obvious. It's not physical therapists want direct access to patient's, it's that patient's should have direct access to PT's -- the option to see a PT whenever they chose. We're not self centered, money mongering, patient healthcare dictators like many of your future MD (medical dictator) buddies. What exactly do you know about PT education anyway? How do dentists practice dentistry without a physician? How about optometrists? chiropractors? A PT with more than 5 minutes with a patient can do a better job of determining whether a NMSK or dysfunctional condition is within their scope vs a MD/DO. Physician's do not do a good job of referring appropriately to physical therapy in a time sensitive manner, they're too busy practicing defensive medicine or dictating a patient's POC. No wonder why patient's are so confused in the link by Jesspt regarding who a MD/DO is and is not, MD/DO's reinforce their passivity and lack of knowledge.

The AMA had a proposal at their House of Delegates or whatever they call it a few years ago restricting the scope of professions who can use Doctor in a clinical setting. I will try to find the documentation about this and post it. But the AMA HOD, much like PT HOD is not binding to anyone, least of all physical therapists. It is really the opinion of the AMA.
The AMA did a scope of practice about PTs. I did find that and will attach it. So the AMA at least has a pretty comprehensive document about PT education, training, licensing, etc.

The AMA had a proposal at their House of Delegates or whatever they call it a few years ago restricting the scope of professions who can use Doctor in a clinical setting. I will try to find the documentation about this and post it. But the AMA HOD, much like PT HOD is not binding to anyone, least of all physical therapists. It is really the opinion of the AMA.
The AMA did a scope of practice about PTs. I did find that and will attach it. So the AMA at least has a pretty comprehensive document about PT education, training, licensing, etc.

Very interesting read.

The AMA is such a great leader. I'm so glad they've taken the physical therapy profession under their wings. :laugh:

Obviously everyone here takes umbrage to this statement. What makes you call a PT a "mid-level" role? Health care is not a hierarchy, even if MDs and DOs want to think that way. PTs have a skill set and knowledge base that physicians don't, just as you have a knowledge base and a skill set that we don't have. PTs spend far more time with a patient doing an exam than an MD and they're more than qualified to treat NMSK conditions.

Kevin

How many times do you hear someone say they want to me a MD/DO because they're facinated with human disease, or really want to help people with medical problems.
Right here:)

Obviously everyone here takes umbrage to this statement. What makes you call a PT a "mid-level" role? Health care is not a hierarchy, even if MDs and DOs want to think that way. PTs have a skill set and knowledge base that physicians don't, just as you have a knowledge base and a skill set that we don't have. PTs spend far more time with a patient doing an exam than an MD and they're more than qualified to treat NMSK conditions.

Kevin

Uhh you do not have more expertise than a PM&R doc sorry.

Uhh you do not have more expertise than a PM&R doc sorry.

That wasn't his statement. His statement was that PTs are
more than qualified to treat NMSK conditions

Your argument that
sounds expensive and ignores the fact that in many states PTs have been treating patients as a point of contact provider, and have also been doing so in the US military for decades.

The original post is about restrictions on the use of the title "Doctor" in a clinical setting, and you have confounded that position with direct access to physical therapy services. . These are seperate issues.

Personally, I don't think that it's fair to single out one profession like that. Refer to yourself in any which way IMO.

I agree with jesspt. There are two very separate issues on the table.

Do you think that there should be a direct access sticky? Thoughts? Moderator? I think it would be helpful and easy to redirect to that thread.

That wasn't his statement. His statement was that PTs are

Your argument that sounds expensive and ignores the fact that in many states PTs have been treating patients as a point of contact provider, and have also been doing so in the US military for decades.

The original post is about restrictions on the use of the title "Doctor" in a clinical setting, and you have confounded that position with direct access to physical therapy services. . These are seperate issues.

:thumbup: Good call

Plus let's not forget that PT's in many countries across the world have been treating patient's via direct access for decades as well. There's a reason why PT's abroad are thought of so fondly, or maybe that's just me.

Direct access is off topic for this thread I guess. I just think it's misleading that every single allied healthcare professional is trying to wear a white coat and call themselves "doctor." Whether you intend it to be or not it's pretty misleading.

As a future "doctor" I'd rather just introduce myself by my first name if it would avoid having every other allied health profession chase prestige and mislead patients.

The worst part though is just that it makes allied health professions so much more expensive to pursue. Does PT really need to be 3 years of graduate level training? Or is that change so you can say you got a "doctorate."

Last edited:
Does PT really need to be 3 years of graduate level training? Or is that change so you can say you got a "doctorate."

The ignorance is strong in this one...

Your last sentence really shows your lack of respect and ignorance of our profession. As a future doctor (of the physician breed) I would hope that you grow more of an understanding of our education and training when working together in healthcare. I truly believe that physicians are the leaders in medicine and I respect their education, accomplishments and knowledge. I sincerely hope that one day you obtain and fulfill that role. Good luck to you.

Direct access is off topic for this thread I guess. I just think it's misleading that every single allied healthcare professional is trying to wear a white coat and call themselves "doctor." Whether you intend it to be or not it's pretty misleading.

As a future "doctor" I'd rather just introduce myself by my first name if it would avoid having every other allied health profession chase prestige and mislead patients.

The worst part though is just that it makes allied health professions so much more expensive to pursue. Does PT really need to be 3 years of graduate level training? Or is that change so you can say you got a "doctorate."

Every profession is certainly not trying to call themselves "doctor." Legitimately transitioning to a doctorate level education and calling oneself doctor in the clinic are not even one in the same. There is nothing misleading about earning a doctorate level education or calling oneself doctor in a clinic, it may be misinterpreted by medical students and patient's however. But, there's a difference between misinterpretation and a physical therapist implying he/she is a orthopedic surgeon, which never happens. So it seems that it really comes down to misinformation and presumptuous thoughts on the part of yourself. The physical therapy community has guidelines regarding this by clarifying one is a physical therapist. Prestige and physical therapy have little to do with one another and I see no benefit chasing it as you say because "prestigious" professions seem to me to be full of arrogant and self centered people.

Does PT need to be 3 years of graduate level training?

At least physical therapy has not arbitrarily chosen 4 years of graduate school like so many others have (MD/DO, DC, OD, DPM, DVM, DDS/DMD, NMD, etc). Four years is the magic number apparently. What exactly is that based on? How in the world is it possible for all those healthcare professions to have a standardized 4 years of graduate school and it be for a legitimate reason? I'd think that's very unlikely. Do these professions really need 4 years of graduate level education?

Anyway, 3 years of physical therapy education. Physical therapist education started at a certificate level followed by bachelor's degree, master's and now a doctorate. It's been a progression over 100+ years. We didn't just magically appear and then set up shop at some haunted house and then graduate "doctors." PT's actually are not orderlies, or massage and stretching clowns. What we do requires a lot of knowledge and exposure. So, there's reasons for it, and they are very complex and include expansion of knowledge base and because of credit load. The links below should give you a lot of info.

http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/69169

http://www.apta.org/PTEducation/Overview/

http://www.capteonline.org/uploaded...gram_Data/AggregateProgramData_PTPrograms.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRn8ufAY9q0

Misleading implies intent, and I don't know of ANY physical therapist who wants his/her patients to think they are physicans. Having said that, I think it can be confusing to patients, and agree with the AMA's stance requesting that everyone have identification indicating their degree obtained and their professional title. the FMA's stance takes this way too far.

I imagine we will see the length/format/content of PT education continue to morph throughout the next 10-15 years, and I think Dr. John Childs (PhD not MD/DO) has some interesting insight on some of the changes we might see:

http://www.evidenceinmotion.com/about/blog/2013/01/the-future-of-online-education/

Personally, I don't think that it's fair to single out one profession like that. Refer to yourself in any which way IMO.

I agree with jesspt. There are two very separate issues on the table.

Do you think that there should be a direct access sticky? Thoughts? Moderator? I think it would be helpful and easy to redirect to that thread.

The direct access sticky might be nice. We could certainly point med students to it every 4-6 months when they come onto the board arguing that it must be prevented when in reailty it has been in practice for decades in many states.

Does PT really need to be 3 years of graduate level training?

As a PT faculty member, the answer to your question is YES.

I have been teaching in a DPT program for the past 16 years. About 10 years ago we moved from a MPT to a DPT program. We evaluated the status of the PT profession, and where the profession was expected to go. In our state, we have had direct access for a while, and several years ago also gained direct reimbursement from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. With direct access comes increased responsibility. PTs will not diagnose medical conditions, but we do need to recognize when a patient's condition is outside of our scope of practice. PT curriculums have expanded to include pharmacology, pathology, diagnostic imaging, physical assessment of non-musculoskeletal conditions, etc. In the military, PTs can prescribe some medications and order imaging. As we expanded our educational program to meet the educational needs of future physical therapists, our curriculum also expanded to where it was representative of doctoral education, rather than a master's education. The healthcare system in the United States is changing, and the PT profession is also changing to better provide for the needs of our patients and clients.

So yes, PT does need to be three years of graduate education.

I think one of the reasons Textbookversion, along with a multitude of other med students, seem somewhat ignorant concerning the PT education is because they are just that. When they think of PTs, they must think massage, exercise, gym, personal trainer, etc. (which honestly, is very insulting especially with the amount of material learned in school). So, they question whether or not it really is necessary for PTs to have a 3 year graduate eduction + however many years of residency/fellowship afterwards if the PT decides to complete one.

Even at my school, there was a group of nursing students who approached a couple of my classmates and the conversation pretty much went like this:

Nursing students: You guys have it so easy...
Student PTs: What do you mean?
Nursing students: You guys are always working out, having fun. We have tests back to back, we have to study so much. Some of us don't even know why you all are getting doctorates for what you do.
SPTs: ... (one of them was ready to punch the lady in the face for those comments) I'm sorry you feel that way (and they left)

In reality, we're at school 8-5 Mon-Fri, sometimes even on campus Saturday. Then we have back-to-back semesters. Our first summer semester we had finals every single day of the last week, and that was a 4-5 month semester compressed into 2 months. The reason we're in gym clothes/bikinis/workout/sports bras is because it's necessary for our labs, which are quite physical and hands on. We WISH we worked out all the time, but that's not the reality. We're lucky to get 1-2 days/week in.

As one poster mentioned, education is key--not only educating the public, but also other professionals in healthcare about our extent of education and the expertise PTs hold in the treatment of NMSK disorders.

I think one of the reasons Textbookversion, along with a multitude of other med students, seem somewhat ignorant concerning the PT education is because they are just that. When they think of PTs, they must think massage, exercise, gym, personal trainer, etc. (which honestly, is very insulting especially with the amount of material learned in school). So, they question whether or not it really is necessary for PTs to have a 3 year graduate eduction + however many years of residency/fellowship afterwards if the PT decides to complete one.

Even at my school, there was a group of nursing students who approached a couple of my classmates and the conversation pretty much went like this:

Nursing students: You guys are always working out, having fun. We have tests back to back, we have to study so much. Some of us don't even know why you all are getting doctorates for what you do.
SPTs: ... (one of them was ready to punch the lady in the face for those comments) I'm sorry you feel that way (and they left)

In reality, we're at school 8-5 Mon-Fri, sometimes even on campus Saturday. Then we have back-to-back semesters. Our first summer semester we had finals every single day of the last week, and that was a 4-5 month semester compressed into 2 months. The reason we're in gym clothes/bikinis/workout/sports bras is because it's necessary for our labs, which are quite physical and hands on. We WISH we worked out all the time, but that's not the reality. We're lucky to get 1-2 days/week in.

As one poster mentioned, education is key--not only educating the public, but also other professionals in healthcare about our extent of education and the expertise PTs hold in the treatment of NMSK disorders.

I'm always at school in the evenings, even on Saturday and Sundays, even tomorrow, Super Bowl Sunday. Yes I will be in the lab on an unofficial holiday. If you go to an accelerated program, it's even worse. We have fun in the lab, but we're not playing. It's serious business. I tell prospective students to be on campus at least from 8am-5pm five days a week, and to be studying a lot on the weekends. I now know what it's like to work 60+ hours a week. It's gratifying, but I'm not sure if I could take this pressure for a long period of time. PT school will definitely raise your cortisol levels.

Kevin

I'm always at school in the evenings, even on Saturday and Sundays, even tomorrow, Super Bowl Sunday. Yes I will be in the lab on an unofficial holiday. If you go to an accelerated program, it's even worse. We have fun in the lab, but we're not playing. It's serious business. I tell prospective students to be on campus at least from 8am-5pm five days a week, and to be studying a lot on the weekends. I now know what it's like to work 60+ hours a week. It's gratifying, but I'm not sure if I could take this pressure for a long period of time. PT school will definitely raise your cortisol levels.

Kevin

Yup. I'm on campus 6-7 days a week to around 10pm every weekday and midnight before finals.

I agree that other health professions do not know our level of education and training. We have dental students asking if we're part of a 'certificate' program and nurses having a difficult time comprehending why we have cadaver labs. Contrary to the SDN community however, at my school the med students are usually more informed. Perhaps its the selection process or personalities my school attracts (top 10 in research), but they are usually bright, understanding and collaborative students - people who certainly will be leaders in medicine. And they certainly understand that we practice physical therapy, not medicine.