FM sports med doc in an ortho practice: does this exist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sthpawslugger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if any ortho PP employ FM sports med docs. On one hand, I feel like PAs can do a good amount in the clinic already and would be preferred largely due to them being more affordable(not at a all putting down ortho PAs, btw, as I've met some outstanding ones), being they already assist in surgery, see after-hours patients, or occasionally see patients in-clinic. I suppose another question I have is what do you feel are the advantages of having a FM/sports med over a PA in-practice?

Members don't see this ad.

There are FM sports medicine docs in ortho departments. There is one or two at my institution.

I did some research with a FM sports guy about concussions in football players and return-to-sport at another hospital as well.

Maybe sports med docs are better trained to deal with sports injuries that don't require orthopaedic surgery? I can't say for sure, but I'm more inclined to agree with that.

Reactions: 1 user
There are FM sports medicine docs in ortho departments. There is one or two at my institution.

I did some research with a FM sports guy about concussions in football players and return-to-sport at another hospital as well.

Maybe sports med docs are better trained to deal with sports injuries that don't require orthopaedic surgery? I can't say for sure, but I'm more inclined to agree with that.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm very much set on pursuing ortho...but, on the off chance that I don't match(I mean, there's always that chance, right?) I might consider doing FM SM in an ortho clinic. Ultimately, my goal is to return to my hometown and join an ortho group with whom I've established good relationships with over the past several years through employment, referrals, etc. In the capacity of a FM SM in that setting, I'd like to see patients, perhaps assist in surgeries on occasion, but also be involved in orthopedic/sports med research. In my hometown, we have a university with a very strong engineering program and I envision, whether as an ortho or as a FMSM, building a relationship with them for the purpose of R&D. Presently speaking, they are more involved in systems, aerospace, and the like.

Members don't see this ad :)

About half of the ortho groups everywhere I've been have at least one FM-trained SM person. They traditionally do lots of the ED-follow up fracture care, non/pre-operative care (arthritis injections prior to talking joint replacement), and often some of the trickier U/S guided injections.

Reactions: 1 user
About half of the ortho groups everywhere I've been have at least one FM-trained SM person. They traditionally do lots of the ED-follow up fracture care, non/pre-operative care (arthritis injections prior to talking joint replacement), and often some of the trickier U/S guided injections.
So in some regard, would you say they work in a similar capacity to that of PM&R docs ?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm very much set on pursuing ortho...but, on the off chance that I don't match(I mean, there's always that chance, right?) I might consider doing FM SM in an ortho clinic. Ultimately, my goal is to return to my hometown and join an ortho group with whom I've established good relationships with over the past several years through employment, referrals, etc. In the capacity of a FM SM in that setting, I'd like to see patients, perhaps assist in surgeries on occasion, but also be involved in orthopedic/sports med research. In my hometown, we have a university with a very strong engineering program and I envision, whether as an ortho or as a FMSM, building a relationship with them for the purpose of R&D. Presently speaking, they are more involved in systems, aerospace, and the like.

The career path you describe is available. However realize that the geographic region, state, city and group severely limit the chances of market value employment. Be prepared to realize that adding a physician to a group is a significant business decision. Good relationships are effective but the revenue generating potential will come into play. Be prepared to end up elsewhere.

So in some regard, would you say they work in a similar capacity to that of PM&R docs ?

From what I've heard PM&R has a wider scope in terms of MSK diagnostics. Spine/Pain/Nerve Conduction Studies
These are things you will not learn in a FM SM fellowship.

I've scribed for 7 months for a Sports Med Orthopedic Knee/shoulder surgeon in an outpatient 7-physician owned private practice - It was 5 surgeons (1 Hand, 1 Total Joint, 2 Shoulder/Knee guys, 1 spine), 1 Rheumatologist, and 1 Physiatrist.

The physiatrist was their "Diagnostic x-ray injection" Pain guy who did Nerve conduction studies and all that jazz.

Every other Sports Medicine non-surgical complaint went through the 1 Shoulder/Knee guy that I scribed for as he also completed a Sports Medicine fellowship.

So, you can easily work with an orthopedic group doing Sports Med, but know you will compete with the orthopedic surgeons. If you're a physiatrist however, you bring a whole new skill that the sports med orthopedics cannot compete with.