FM residency office numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drake19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey fellow FM people - was wondering how many office visits are expected at end of PGY-1 year and PGY-2 year?

i know the 1,600 continuity office visit number is a hard requirement - how close can you get to this number +/- and still graduate? or is it program specific Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1600? My program says 1650. I’m about 80 shy of that right now and trying to wrap it all up this month.

I had a few hundred at the end of intern year, and about 900-1000 by the end of 2nd year.

1650 is the requirement, not 1600. It’s a firm requirement, so you can’t graduate until you hit it.

How many patients you get each year depends on your program. I hit 1650 in January of senior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
1650 is the requirement, not 1600. It’s a firm requirement, so you can’t graduate until you hit it.

How many patients you get each year depends on your program. I hit 1650 in January of senior year.

I was on track to do the same, but then there were rumors our parent company was going to be bought out by a competitor and that our office would close and I went through a good 3-5 months with a 40-60% no-show rate.

It’s better now, but I’m racing to hit 1650 before the end of this month so I can do an away elective for my final month of residency training.

My program hits about 200 in intern year, 750 in PGY2, and the rest of the 1650 in PGY3. You must hit 1650 to graduate. There are some loopholes such as there being days where you are a "preceptor" for other residents as a 3rd year so 1 patient would count as a number for 2 residents, or being assigned to an attending for a session and seeing their patients with them. If for some reason you are struggling to hit your milestones, you can use an elective month for clinic or work extra Saturdays, but that hasn't happened yet.