FM Programs Heavy With IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mitch Connor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you be hesitant to apply to a program that seems to recruit almost exclusively from Carribean schools? Found the FM program in Fayetteville Arkansas and only 4 out of 27 current residents attended a med school in the US. Curriculum seems strong on paper at least.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally know nothing about that program, but it's probably because of location honestly. I wouldn't be surprised if they just get a ton more IMG applicants as compared to MD applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Generally, it means that a program is seen as less desirable by more competitive (i.e. US MD/DO) applicants. There can be lots of reasons for that, ranging from culture or curriculum issues to something like location like hallowmann mentioned - ultimately up to you whether that reason is something that is a problem for you or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you be hesitant to apply to a program that seems to recruit almost exclusively from Carribean schools? Found the FM program in Fayetteville Arkansas and only 4 out of 27 current residents attended a med school in the US. Curriculum seems strong on paper at least.
Location is a big factor- there's a lot of great programs in many fields that can't attract domestic graduates due to location. If it is in an area you like and looks decent on paper, may as well apply- only the current residents can tell you how it is, and talking to them at or after an interview is the only way you'll know with any reliability whether it is a decent program or not.

Reactions: 2 users
Generally, it means that a program is seen as less desirable by more competitive (i.e. US MD/DO) applicants. There can be lots of reasons for that, ranging from culture or curriculum issues to something like location like hallowmann mentioned - ultimately up to you whether that reason is something that is a problem for you or not.
This.

I'm an FMG, went to such a program 10 years and it was as described. We were definitely workers first, students second, but we did have good training in the end. It wasn't for everyone and graduation #s reflected that.

Look at the difference between start vs graduate residency. If they start with 8 and graduate 5, probably not a great sign. It doesn't mean the training is bad, but there are factors in play.

i bet it's the location of the program.
OR the Caribbean schools have a rotation in that program, so most of those applicants probably did a Sub-i

Here in California, it will be tough to get in if you're not local.

ARCOM student currently living in Fayetteville, AR. I do not know a whole lot about the the FM program specifically but I do know that the FMG heaviness is due to a combination of UAMS students typically going into non-primary care specialties (doing residencies in Little Rock) and general unfamiliarity with the area. As time goes on, the program will mostly be a combination of ARCOM (2021 first class), NYIT-Jonesboro (2020-21? first class), and IMG students. Fayetteville and the northwest AR metro, so far, has been a real nice place to live. Top 10 place to live in the US based on US News. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Edit: To my knowledge, no Caribbean students rotate here. Just ARCOM and NYIT, I believe.

ARCOM student currently living in Fayetteville, AR. I do not know a whole lot about the the FM program specifically but I do know that the FMG heaviness is due to a combination of UAMS students typically going into non-primary care specialties (doing residencies in Little Rock) and general unfamiliarity with the area. As time goes on, the program will mostly be a combination of ARCOM (2021 first class), NYIT-Jonesboro (2020-21? first class), and IMG students. Fayetteville and the northwest AR metro, so far, has been a real nice place to live. Top 10 place to live in the US based on US News. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Edit: To my knowledge, no Caribbean students rotate here. Just ARCOM and NYIT, I believe.
Thanks for the input!

i don't think just because an FM program is IMG heavy it is a bad program or least desirable by AMG. Location a bigger factor. I graduated from a really IMG heavy program like 90% of the residents where IMGs but 100% graduated; a few went to really top notch fellowship programs some are practicing and doing good.

i don't think just because an FM program is IMG heavy it is a bad program or least desirable by AMG. Location a bigger factor. I graduated from a really IMG heavy program like 90% of the residents where IMGs but 100% graduated; a few went to really top notch fellowship programs some are practicing and doing good.
It can be less desirable by AMGs because of location which I specifically mentioned in the post you quoted. "Less desirable" is not the same thing as "bad," and I certainly didn't intend to equate the two.

What I meant: This is not a knock on IMGs, but the bottom line is that there is a stigma against them in the match process. So all else being equal, an AMG is going to be ranked higher than an IMG, whether that's fair or not. If there were lots of AMGs who wanted to be at those programs, they would probably have no problem matching there. So if a program has very few AMGs, it's a safe bet that many AMGs did not apply or did not rank them highly. These programs can still offer good training and have good outcomes, and if whatever is making it "less desirable" for most AMGs is not a problem for that particular applicant (e.g. it's rural and the applicant is one of the fairly limited number of med students who would love to be in a rural area) - go for it.

FM Attending, did apply as a US-IMG tho.

I don't really think programs that have more IMGs in them are red flags. It's more likely the program is in a less desirable area. Because of this, fewer AMGs rank the program high in their match list and thus fewer AMGs match at the location. This then paves the way for more IMGs to match at the residency program.

Could the program be a crappy program, yes, but more likely the above is the reason for majority of programs like the one you describe.

Reactions: 1 user