This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will a pass in FM hurt my chances at good programs?

• No, it shouldn't hurt you

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • It's important, but the rest of your application will make up for it

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Yes, it will raise eyebrows

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

PickleRick19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a third year medical student who will be applying for residency in FM this coming fall. First, a bit of background:
- 245 step 1
- Pass in family medicine core clerkship, barely missing HP (good comments on eval, pretty good shelf. I take full responsibility for the grade, but I also think having the rotation very early in the year may have played a role)
- 3 high pass, 3 honors in my other core clerkships (good comments on evals)
- Hoping to have pretty good LORs
- Mostly HP, some H years 1-2
- Decent ECs (clubs, local clinical volunteering, mission trips, etc)
- 1 publication
- Wasn't able to schedule a FM AI before ERAS is due but got a regular FM elective

I realized while doing my FM rotation that I loved FM. Normally, I wouldn't post about this but I have a passion for FM and want to see what other people think. I know FM isn't as competitive to match into as other fields, but will my clerkship grade close certain doors in FM or make it difficult to match into the more competitive FM programs across the country (i.e. unopposed or highly desired programs)? I realize there are no definitive "best" programs out there and there are many very good programs that might fit me.

Full responses are appreciated, but I added a poll too.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say you're almost a sure thing to match, assuming you don't completely cock up every interview you have.

Shouldn't matter as much as what you've told us already, but what type school are you attending? Because that may close doors to some of the more competitive residencies, but certainly not all of them. Even if you went to a bottom-tier Caribbean School, your step 1 score is good enough that those should at worst cancel each other out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With a good step 1 score most FM programs will not exclude you based on your academic portfolio. In FM, what makes an applicant competitive at any place is often the overall fit of that applicant with a specific program. If you fret over details of your application the match season will wear you out. Try your best to relax, be prepared for interviews and don't worry about what you can't change.

From someone who interviewed last season and had pretty similar stats to you.. you're going to be absolutely fine. I would be surprised if it even came up that you got a P on your FM clerkship. Get some strong letters and you'll likely get interviews everywhere you apply.

I don't know what your situation is as far as particular interests or geography, but let me know if you have any questions. Also, go to National Conference :)

Reactions: 1 user
Shouldn't matter as much as what you've told us already, but what type school are you attending?

I go to a mid to bottom tier U.S. medical school in the midwest (flips between RNP and ranked depending on the year but always matches very well). The residency programs I want to apply for (some unopposed) are also in the midwest and I assume they are very familiar with our students.

As far as interviews go, any advice on general things to do/absolutely not to do during the interview process for FM?

With a good step 1 score most FM programs will not exclude you based on your academic portfolio. In FM, what makes an applicant competitive at any place is often the overall fit of that applicant with a specific program. If you fret over details of your application the match season will wear you out. Try your best to relax, be prepared for interviews and don't worry about what you can't change.

Thanks, I'll try to remember that! Sometimes it's tough to filter out the white noise with people in other specialties being so grade-driven. I used to want to just match anywhere and didn't think about it so much but there's a particular unopposed FM program that would be my dream residency and that I think would fit my interests.

From someone who interviewed last season and had pretty similar stats to you.. you're going to be absolutely fine. I would be surprised if it even came up that you got a P on your FM clerkship. Get some strong letters and you'll likely get interviews everywhere you apply.

I don't know what your situation is as far as particular interests or geography, but let me know if you have any questions. Also, go to National Conference :)

That's what people have been telling me. I would hope I wouldn't be turned down for an interview at a competitive FM residency just because of one P. If I have any other questions I'll definitely let you know. Totally forgot about national conference, thanks for reminding me!

Last edited:
I go to a mid to bottom tier U.S. medical school in the midwest (flips between RNP and ranked depending on the year but always matches very well). The residency programs I want to apply for (some unopposed) are also in the midwest and I assume they are very familiar with our students.

As far as interviews go, any advice on general things to do/absolutely not to do during the interview process for FM?
So 2 basic rules. First, be genuinely interested in family medicine. I'm assuming that isn't something you'll have to fake, so that should be easy. Have a good reason why you like FM ready to go, because you will be asked that.

Second, just be yourself (assuming yourself isn't a horrible person). Programs want people who want to be there and will work well with others. If you're a decent person who is not just amazingly socially awkward, you should be fine.

So 2 basic rules. First, be genuinely interested in family medicine. I'm assuming that isn't something you'll have to fake, so that should be easy. Have a good reason why you like FM ready to go, because you will be asked that.

Second, just be yourself (assuming yourself isn't a horrible person). Programs want people who want to be there and will work well with others. If you're a decent person who is not just amazingly socially awkward, you should be fine.

Sorry for some reason your response slipped through my notifications or I forgot I checked it. But thanks for the solid advice, makes sense!