FM Interviews 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frijolero

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it's a little early in the game but I'm interested to know where everyone's headed. I'll start:

1)Ventura County - Ventura, CA
2)Ball Memorial - Muncie, IN
3)St. Mark's - Salt Lake City, UT

My app is done minus the MSPE and LOR's. Against my better judgment I ended up applying to about 20 programs and will have to pare down the list if I end up with that many offers (hope I'm that lucky). G'luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea Frijolero and congratulations. I submitted my ERAS application on September 1st and the only thing missing is my MSPE and Academic Transcript. Here's my list:

1. Kaiser Permanente - Woodland Hills, CA
2. Kaiser Permanente Sunset -Los Angeles, CA
3. Kaiser Permanente - Fontana, CA
4. Harbor-UCLA - Harbor City, CA
5. Mercy Redding - Redding, CA
6. Contra Costa Medical - Martinez, CA
7. Pomona Valley - Pomona, CA
8. Methodist Hospital - Sacamento, CA
9. Scripps - Chula Vista, CA
10. Natividad - Salinas, CA
11. Ventura County - Ventura, CA
12. Wesley Medical - Wichita, KS
13. Via Christi Regional - Wichita, KS
14. Univ. of Hawaii - Miliani, HI
15. Stanislaus - Modesto, CA
16. RCMRC - Moreno Valley, CA
17. Northridge - Northridge, CA
18. Kaiser Permanente - Riverside, CA
19. UCSF Fresno - Fresno, CA

Best of luck to everyone!!!!! Let's keep adding to this list!!!!!:idea:

congrats to the both of you. everything of mine is in order except for my california letter since i'm an IMG with ECFMG certification. so far here is my list:

1) St John's - Wayne State, Detroit
2) St Margaret's - Univ of Pittsburgh
3) St Joseph - Med Coll Wisconsin
4) Tallahassee Memorial

Members don't see this ad :)
8 so far. Submitted Sep 1, but still missing 2/4 LORs and MSPE (obviously).
List:
1. UPMC- Shadyside
2. UPMC- St. Margaret's
3. Cornell Stamford
4. Maine Medical Center
5. Abington Memorial (Philly)
6. U of Wisconsin, Madison
7. Ft. Collins, CO
8. St. Anthony (Denver)

I applied to 18 and am thinking I will have to pair down the list, very hard though.
:confused:

Great idea Frijolero and congratulations. I submitted my ERAS application on September 1st and the only thing missing is my MSPE and Academic Transcript. Here's my list:

Best of luck to everyone!!!!! Let's keep adding to this list!!!!!:idea:

Hmm... if you don't have any time or financial constraints, I would also check out UC Davis Medical Center, San Jose O'Conner, and Sutter-Sacramento since they are all near the Contra Costa, Redding, Methodist Hospital, and Stanislau programs. (UC Davis Medical Center, Sutter, and Methodist Hospital are about 30 minutes away from each other). But that would make for a lot of back-to-back interviewing, which can be tiresome doing the interview season.

I would group the Redding, Contra Costa, and Stanislau interviews near each other (maybe 1-2 days apart to allow for rest and travel time). I would group Kaiser Fontana with the Pomona interview, since they are so close to each other.

Good luck!:luck:

Well, I am up to four on my FM interviews. Those would include UAB - Huntsville, University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, LSU - Shreveport, and John Peter Smith in Ft Worth, Texas. I am really looking forward to each and every one of them. All are top notch from what I hear. The only one that I feel uncomfortable with so far is UAB - Huntsville as they have been sorta trying to push/raising the spectre of the possibility of going outside the match. This leaves me a bit concerned about them. Why are they being sorta pushy to get me to sign on outside the match? Who knows? Maybe they are looking at my situation, what with the kids a wife and a house to sell before moving, and thinking that I would rather go outside the match and therefore are trying to be nice to me in their own way. Maybe I am reading too much into it. I don't know. I guess they are not being really pushy or anything about it. Maybe I am being too sensitive. I am certainly looking forward to looking at the program. I have heard absolutely fantastic things about it. It is in a great location in a nice size city with affordable housing and all that, too. Plus unopposed in like a 900 bed hospital. That can't be bad. Anyway, just excited and wanted to share with everyone.

Well, if you sign on outside the match then they KNOW they'll get you.
Sounds like they just like you and really want you. :love:

Course if they like you so much other will too, so I would keep my options open, at least until finishing all interviews.

The only one that I feel uncomfortable with so far is UAB - Huntsville as they have been sorta trying to push/raising the spectre of the possibility of going outside the match. This leaves me a bit concerned about them. Why are they being sorta pushy to get me to sign on outside the match? Who knows? Maybe they are looking at my situation, what with the kids a wife and a house to sell before moving, and thinking that I would rather go outside the match and therefore are trying to be nice to me in their own way. Maybe I am reading too much into it. I don't know. I guess they are not being really pushy or anything about it. Maybe I am being too sensitive. I am certainly looking forward to looking at the program. I have heard absolutely fantastic things about it. QUOTE]

I am switching specialties to FM and last year had a couple of fantastic programs to bring up the whole outside the match thing.

(In my case I graduated in 05 and was having to move because my husband finished his 9 years of training and :eek:decided to get a job. As it turns out, he ended up signing a contract in late April, by which time all spots here were filled.)

I kind of took the outside of the match thing as an honor and an act of kindness. No doubt there is a certain degree of anxiety removed when you get a contract. It is also great to be in the position to be able to plan earlier. Would you really want to have to wait 6 months if you did not have to?

If they don't seem pushy and desperate and you have heard good things, just be happy with it. You very well may get the same type of offer at the other places once you are face-to-face with the PDs.

The only real caveat is to make sure you have a formal written contract and not just some verbal BS. If you are going outside the match make sure you have the contract before the window closes on being able to do the NRMP.
:luck::luck:

UTMB
Mcleod
MAHEC
Natividads

i spoke to some of my friends in FM res right now and they just informed me that most of their prgms have yet to really look at the app's:thumbdown:. their reasoning is that they want to make sure the ppl they invite really want to do FP and not invite others who apply as a backup specialty. so hopefully some more responses are coming everybody's way in the near future.:thumbup:

best of luck.:luck:

adding to the list:

1) St John's - Wayne State, Detroit
2) St Margaret's - Univ of Pittsburgh
3) St Joseph - Med Coll Wisconsin
4) Tallahassee Memorial[/QUOTE]

5) Kaiser Permanente - Riverside, CA

Updated list:

1)Ventura County - Ventura, CA
2)Ball Memorial - Muncie, IN
3)St. Mark's - Salt Lake City, UT
4)Mckay-Dee - Ogden, UT
5)Utah Valley - Provo, UT
6)St. Mary's - Grand Junction, CO
7)Contra Costa - Martinez, CA
8)Montana FMR - Billings MT

Congrats on the interviews, everyone!

I see some of you guys have some spread out interviews as well - how are you paying for all the flights?

I booked just up and down the northeast and it was 800 :( for two round trips:scared: Anyone else concerned about the cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see some of you guys have some spread out interviews as well - how are you paying for all the flights?

I booked just up and down the northeast and it was 800 :( for two round trips:scared: Anyone else concerned about the cost?

I'm currently in the West and will be spending a few weeks doing a driving loop covering Utah/California/Colorado. When I'm done here I'll likely have one flight back to the pacific Northwest to hit up some programs there. The driving isn't too far out of the way and I'll likely take up most programs on their offer to stay with a resident. Shouldn't be too expensive overall, really just a drop in the debt bucket. Skybus.com has some cheap flights if you can plan in advance. Besides, I've been looking forward to a road trip the past couple of years anyway. The only snag will be scheduling interviews, haven't had much of a problem so far. Maybe I'll use that as a way to slim down my list...

DEFINITELY!!! and i'm flying out of toronto, canada too! good thing our dollar caught up to the USD.

best of luck to everyone.:luck:

20. Loyola/Cook County - Chicago, IL
21. Arrowhead Regional - Colton, CA

You going on all these!??! :eek:

Cali...cali...cali...Hawaii...cali...KANSAS??

which one doesn't belong :laugh:

You going on all these!??! :eek:

No Iatros. These are programs that I have scheduled interviews at but I am not going on all of them.:rolleyes:

Hey guys, how soon after you submitted did Ventura, Harbor, and Northridge send you an invite?

> Cali...cali...cali...Hawaii...cali...KANSAS??
> which one doesn't belong :laugh:

So the irony of this is that the programs in Kansas are among the better ones you'll find anywhere. I heard about them just by chance when applying for residency last year, and on a whim took a look at their websites. I'm now an intern at Via Christi. The thing is, the Midwest -- by virtue of having fewer docs per capita, and more small towns -- may be the last region remaining in the U.S. where family docs can do just about anything.

For the curious, here's what's offered at Via Christi:

1. We run the entire medicine service for a very busy hospital. We run the codes, manage ICU patients independently, do the necessary procedures, etc. We also run another full medicine service in a second, even larger hospital (that one has two IM teams as well).
2. We have a completely unopposed pediatrics service. We see a wide variety of general peds, and manage PICU and NICU patients as well. We also run peds codes. We are expected to manage whatever comes in the door, under the supervision of attending pediatricians.
3. We do enough OB -- completely unopposed -- to make any OB-enthusiast very happy. Our volumes per resident easily outstrip those of just about any program with which I'm familiar, and I interviewed at a lot of the programs mentioned on this forum. From high-risk, to C-sections, to VBACs, to TAHs, to OB sonos, to OB ER care -- we do it all, and in volume.
4. For those who, like me, are internationally inclined, by next fall the residency will feature a fully-funded one year International Fellowship. This will be overseen by a family doc with several years of experience working in rural areas in East Africa. It will consist of six months of stateside training in things most U.S. FPs don't ever do, i.e., general surgical procedures, dentistry, further OB training, formal instruction in tropical medicine, diagnostic ultrasonography, learning how to do medicine when you don't have the latest technology, etc., followed by six months of work in a hospital overseas (we have it down to four options at present -- all in Africa).

And that's just the beginning. So seriously, if you're looking for a solid FP program that offers very comprehensive training, you could do much, much worse than Kansas. Don't believe me? Check out vcfp.net, or better yet, come interview and see for yourself. I won't lie and say that Wichita as a city is exciting, but the clinical training available to us really is.

So the irony of this is that the programs in Kansas are among the better ones you'll find anywhere. I heard about them just by chance when applying for residency last year, and on a whim took a look at their websites. I'm now an intern at Via Christi. The thing is, the Midwest -- by virtue of having fewer docs per capita, and more small towns -- may be the last region remaining in the U.S. where family docs can do just about anything.

For the curious, here's what's offered at Via Christi:

1. We run the entire medicine service for a very busy hospital. We run the codes, manage ICU patients independently, do the necessary procedures, etc. We also run another full medicine service in a second, even larger hospital (that one has two IM teams as well).
2. We have a completely unopposed pediatrics service. We see a wide variety of general peds, and manage PICU and NICU patients as well. We also run peds codes. We are expected to manage whatever comes in the door, under the supervision of attending pediatricians.
3. We do enough OB -- completely unopposed -- to make any OB-enthusiast very happy. Our volumes per resident easily outstrip those of just about any program with which I'm familiar, and I interviewed at a lot of the programs mentioned on this forum. From high-risk, to C-sections, to VBACs, to TAHs, to OB sonos, to OB ER care -- we do it all, and in volume.
4. For those who, like me, are internationally inclined, by next fall the residency will feature a fully-funded one year International Fellowship. This will be overseen by a family doc with several years of experience working in rural areas in East Africa. It will consist of six months of stateside training in things most U.S. FPs don't ever do, i.e., general surgical procedures, dentistry, further OB training, formal instruction in tropical medicine, diagnostic ultrasonography, learning how to do medicine when you don't have the latest technology, etc., followed by six months of work in a hospital overseas (we have it down to four options at present -- all in Africa).

And that's just the beginning. So seriously, if you're looking for a solid FP program that offers very comprehensive training, you could do much, much worse than Kansas. Don't believe me? Check out vcfp.net, or better yet, come interview and see for yourself. I won't lie and say that Wichita as a city is exciting, but the clinical training available to us really is.

Hey guys, how soon after you submitted did Ventura, Harbor, and Northridge send you an invite?

Hi Spazz. I would say Harbor offered me an interview a week and half after I submitted my ERAS application; Ventura took about two weeks and Northridge took about a month or so. I submitted my ERAS application on September 1st. Hope that helps!!!:hardy:

So the irony of this is that the programs in Kansas are among the better ones you'll find anywhere.

No, I'm referring to the climate and city types. No question the Wichita program rocks, but no matter how you slice it...Kansas and Cali don't belong in the same sentence.

UTMB
Mcleod
MAHEC - Asheville
Natividads

Adding:

U of Texas - Houston
Memorial - Houston
MAHEC - Hendersonville
Virtua - New Jersey
Virtua - California
Bayfront - Fl
USF - Fl

So how long is the usual turn around time from ERAS submission and interview invites? I received a few invites within the first few days of submission. Since then they've been trickling in. Do some programs hold all apps and review them once a month then send out invites? Or have I been dumped into the wait and see pile?

Well back to the list

Wesley Medical Center - Wichita, KS
University of Oklahoma - Tusla, OK
University of Oklahoma - Oklahoma City
Great plains FM residency program - Oklahoma City
.University.. of Texas Southwestern - Dallas, TX
Truman Medical Center - KC, MO

So far I've gotten:
UCDavis
Martinez
Modesto
Sutter
Ventura
Harbor UCLA
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCSF-Santa Rosa
Long Beach
Beth Israel Urban-NYC
Robert Wood Johnson New Brunswick
Stamford/Columbia U
Chestnut Hill Philadelphia
Lancaster County
Univeristy of Pennsylvania
Columbia University Presbyterian
Jefferson U-Philadelphia

Does anyone know info on the UC San Diego residency program? I am having a hard time fitting it into the interview trail..just want ppl have heard.

Thanks everyone for the great posts!

So far I've gotten:
UCDavis
Martinez
Modesto
Sutter
Ventura
Harbor UCLA
Beth Israel Urban-NYC
Robert Wood Johnson New Brunswick
Stamford/Columbia U
Chestnut Hill Philadelphia

Has anyone heard from UCSF-San Fran, UW? Any other UC schools send out invites?

UCSF (SAN FRANCISCO GENERAL HOSPITAL) BEGAN SENDING OUT INTERVIEW INVITES THIS PAST WEEK. I GOT MINE YESTERDAY VIA EMAIL. UCI IS IN THE PROCESS OF DOWNLOADING ALL OF THE ERAS APPLICATIONS TO DATE (THEY DOWNLOADED MY ENTIRE ERAS APPLICATION AND MATERIALS (MINUS THE MSPE) TODAY AND I SUBMITTED MY APPLICATION BACK ON SEPTEMBER 1ST.

22. UCSF SF General Hospital - San Francisco, CA
23. UCSF Santa Rosa Family Medicine - Santa Rosa, CA

Hey everyone!

So Ive been scheduling my interviews as they come in - but I'm still waiting for a ton of replies, and wondering how you will go about cancelling interviews if better ones come up. Since my boards aren't great, I need to go to as many interviews as possible, but lets say, a bad program in Az probably wouldn't be worth the flight/day when I could use that to do a better local one.

How will you decide which ones to choose?

Hey everyone!

So Ive been scheduling my interviews as they come in - but I'm still waiting for a ton of replies, and wondering how you will go about cancelling interviews if better ones come up. Since my boards aren't great, I need to go to as many interviews as possible, but lets say, a bad program in Az probably wouldn't be worth the flight/day when I could use that to do a better local one.

How will you decide which ones to choose?

Gotta look at the scores and the programs you have under your belt (and where you graduated from) before anyone can really tell what to drop.

So how long is the usual turn around time from ERAS submission and interview invites? I received a few invites within the first few days of submission. Since then they've been trickling in. Do some programs hold all apps and review them once a month then send out invites? Or have I been dumped into the wait and see pile?

Well back to the list

Wesley Medical Center - Wichita, KS
University of Oklahoma - Tusla, OK
University of Oklahoma - Oklahoma City
Great plains FM residency program - Oklahoma City
.University.. of Texas Southwestern - Dallas, TX
Truman Medical Center - KC, MO

AwesomeO, I would say that it really varies between programs. I submitted my ERAS application on September 1st and the earliest I received an interview invite was on September 6th. Some programs are just getting back to me now, four weeks later. It is still early in the process and many programs are just getting to sending some interview invites now! Hang in there and best of luck to you! :luck:

Hi people. Has anyone received any interview invites from Glendale Adventist, PIH (Whittier) and/or Kaiser Orange County? Please post any information. Thanks! :idea:

Gotta look at the scores and the programs you have under your belt (and where you graduated from) before anyone can really tell what to drop.

Theres one on scutwork with really bad reviews, I'm not sure I want to spend the money to go out there ya know?

Theres one on scutwork with really bad reviews, I'm not sure I want to spend the money to go out there ya know?

The main point is to interview at places that you are interested in doing your residency. Only you will know what places you should interview at and which ones you should not. Try looking at individual program websites and if possible, try contacting some of the residents at those programs for their opinions....best of luck to you! :luck:

24. UCI - Irvine, CA

24. UCI - Irvine, CA

Please tell me you're not going on all these :laugh: Definitely do Hawaii though, and ummm say you were stranded there for like 2 weeks :love:

24. UCI - Irvine, CA
25. Long Beach Memorial - Long Beach, CA
26. Kaiser Permanente Orange County - Anaheim, CA

TODAY WAS A GREAT DAY TODAY!!!!!!!! 3 INTERVIEW INVITES!!!!!!:idea:

Ok I can't stand it - how many are you going on?:eek:

24. UCI - Irvine, CA
27. San Jose O'Connor Hospital - San Jose, CA

24. UCI - Irvine, CA
27. San Jose O'Connor Hospital - San Jose, CA

what possessed you to apply to so many programs?

Err... I'm just gonna guess... but... hmm... could it be you are really trying to stay close to california.... wonder what clued me. heh.:D

BTW... if you are a US senior (US senior does not include DOs or old graduate allopathics) and you rank 10 or more programs you are pretty much garaunteed to match. You'll also note that only 3 people did not match when ranking 6 more programs.

This is how it was last year. http://www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf

So 20 something is overkill.. heh.

BTW... if you are a US senior (US senior does not include DOs or old graduate allopathics) and you rank 10 or more programs you are pretty much garaunteed to match. You'll also note that only 3 people did not match when ranking 6 more programs.

This is how it was last year. http://www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf

So 20 something is overkill.. heh.

That's what I was talking about. 'slight' overkill...most of my US grad friends only applied to between 8 and 12 programs, went to 6+ interviews, and predominately matched at their first choice. However, FMG's like myself play a slightly different game.

Great posts everyone! :idea:

AwesomeO, I would say that it really varies between programs. I submitted my ERAS application on September 1st and the earliest I received an interview invite was on September 6th. Some programs are just getting back to me now, four weeks later. It is still early in the process and many programs are just getting to sending some interview invites now! Hang in there and best of luck to you! :luck:

Thanks, the worst part is the uncertainty. Are they getting ready to send me a rejection? Leaving me in a pile to see if they can get someone better before they offer me an invite? Or have they just not bothered to look send out interview invites in the past two weeks.
If they are going to flat out reject me I would rather know sooner than later so that I can add more programs to my ERAS if I need to.

Thanks, the worst part is the uncertainty. Are they getting ready to send me a rejection? Leaving me in a pile to see if they can get someone better before they offer me an invite? Or have they just not bothered to look send out interview invites in the past two weeks.
If they are going to flat out reject me I would rather know sooner than later so that I can add more programs to my ERAS if I need to.

The uncertainty really does suck. I wouldn't say that they are leaving you in a pile to reject you. Like I said, some programs are just getting around to offering interviews to applicants. I hate to say wait a bit but that's all you can do at this point. Some programs that I had not heard from offered me an interview, after I emailed them saying that I was scheduling interviews by geographical region and I wanted to know what my current application status was. Best of luck and stay positive!:idea:

... Some programs that I had not heard from offered me an interview, after I emailed them saying that I was scheduling interviews by geographical region and I wanted to know what my current application status was.

do programs really respond to the notion that you will be in the vicinity? that would really help with scheduling interviews. i'm going back and forth across the country with a few quick stops in canada for this upcoming season while holding out to hear back from a few more programs.

do programs really respond to the notion that you will be in the vicinity? that would really help with scheduling interviews. i'm going back and forth across the country with a few quick stops in canada for this upcoming season while holding out to hear back from a few more programs.

They have been more than willing to accomodate my schedule, to the best of their abilities. I was waiting to hear back from 5 programs about interviews. I emailed them, explaining my situation of being in the area for other interviews and many of them offered me an interview date that worked with my current interview schedule. It wouldn't hurt to ask if you are in the same area. Best of luck!:luck: