FM + ER Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackDynamite

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that have completed this fellowship, what sized cities are you covering the ER in?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

For those that have completed this fellowship, what sized cities are you covering the ER in?

just for others that might read this in the future.....the FM sponsored EM fellowhips do not qualify you for board certification in EM.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I work with a guy who did one. very rural dept. he is medical director. 10 bed ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have some associated with our program that didn't even do a fellowship and work in a little ED (maybe 10 beds as well) out in the sticks, but they make bank for FM docs. I did a rotation out there and it was really interesting. All kinds of farming accidents, krokodil, etc.

ABPS Board Certification for Family Physicians in Emergency Medicine
http://www.abpsus.org/family-physicians-in-emergency-medicine
I'm all for the free market development of additional boards but everyone should note that's not the "normal" board certification people think of when they say board certification. Being certified by a less established process doesn't mean you can get hospital credentials or an interview at all the same places. i'm again, all for it, but just want any aspiring em docs to know the alternative path through an alternative organization might not be the win they thought

Reactions: 1 user
For how well this path would work in real life, post in the em forum and ask if those doc's groups would hire you

For how well this path would work in real life, post in the em forum and ask if those doc's groups would hire you
Sometimes I get the feeling that that might be an example of internet=/= real life. I mean, go to the IM subforum and ask about FM doctors doing hospitalist work. You'll see the same thing. They'll make it sound like family physicians are completely out of place in any kind of inpatient setting, and there's not even a board certification for hospitalist medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes I get the feeling that that might be an example of internet=/= real life. I mean, go to the IM subforum and ask about FM doctors doing hospitalist work. You'll see the same thing. They'll make it sound like family physicians are completely out of place in any kind of inpatient setting, and there's not even a board certification for hospitalist medicine.
On a functional logic level I agree with you. Until EDs start turning away everyone who isn't an emergency, there is plenty a FM doc could do in large depts. but logic is irrelevany if the sdg or hospital doesn't recognize the creative alternative certification

The difficulty is going to be there is a lot critical care and procedural stuff that would be difficult to become competent at in one years time.

Most family medicine residents at our hospital don't have much experience with intubation, central lines, chest tubes, surgical airways, etc. I am not quite sure how you would be able to learn all this in one year. Even over three years of EM residency I still feel that I 'should' be getting higher numbers for some of these procedures before I'm out on my own.

Some unopposed family medicine residencies are in the most dangerous cities in America. Gang bangers come in needing chest tubes, lines, etc. all of the time. There are no competing residencies and the majority of the time the the other family med residents aren't interested either. It's all you. You can moonlight as much as you want and do up to 9 months of ED at some of these places. Add a one year fellowship to that? I wouldn't be surprised if some of these places are giving a few FM residents more procedures than some EM residencies. Not saying that's true... But I wouldn't be surprised.

There is a joint Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine recognized by the ABIM and ABFM.

Exactly! FPs are just as eligible for the only official hospitality recognition as internists. Yet on Facebook I've seen a internists say FPs are under qualified. In real life, however, several internists have told me FM is a perfectly viable route to hospital medicine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

I get calls to cover ER shifts DAILY and at least 2-3 emails a day asking if I want to cover a 12hr or 24hr shift. You don't need a fellowship to practice EM. You do enough moonlighting/locums then the opportunities come knocking at your door.

Reactions: 2 users
The difficulty is going to be there is a lot critical care and procedural stuff that would be difficult to become competent at in one years time.

Most family medicine residents at our hospital don't have much experience with intubation, central lines, chest tubes, surgical airways, etc. I am not quite sure how you would be able to learn all this in one year. Even over three years of EM residency I still feel that I 'should' be getting higher numbers for some of these procedures before I'm out on my own.
Definitely true. But with the changing trend what I see is many NPP are doing lot of stuffs that were out of their scope. Hospitals are hiring more NPP and just 1 ER doc to supervise them to save money. Saving money is good, but its only for the corporate, not for the patient.
ER fellowship can teach the high acuity procedures in 1 year easily, as the trainees in fellowship are already a competent doctor (unlike medical graduate who needs to study a lot of basics for half of the residency).