All Branch Topic (ABT) Flying as a FS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jimmy Jones

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recent insight on which service encourages its flight surgeons to spend time flying? I have read a lot of posts (mostly outdated) about flying as a flight surgeon. I realize that one's primary role is to be a PCP for aircrew and family as well as any admin related duties. But I read that some services / airframes would be more receptive to their flight surgeons flying. I recall reading a couple posts such as from Blue Angel Doc that said that they knew of flight surgeons who spent a decent amount getting stick time and doing take offs / landings in 2 seater jets, even though this isn't official protocol.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You get no training with any branch other than the Navy. But with that said...the stick time in training with the Navy is minimal. You can get stick time with your squadron, but I wouldn't recommend EXPECTING stick time. Pilots use to have more liberty to go out and fly. Now every penny is pinched, and squadron COs are expected to know every cent that it coming in and out, and what goes into those costs. I know some flight surgeons that do get stick time, but it's not a routine occurrence. I don't get any...and I'm fine with that. I like being involved in the community and being their PCM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Through an interesting set of circumstances, I have some stick time in a 737. Did touch and go's at an outlying rural airfield when I was in the Navy. That day ranks up there in days I remember fondly. Flew with a pilot that I was totally comfortable with in the right seat. What I remember most was how agile that aircraft seemed, didn't expect that at all. I also have stick time in T-34C and TH-57's.

The flight surgeon paradox:

As a physician: "I think the Navy is irresponsible, because they make me practice medicine with only 9 years of formal training, rather than the 11 which is the standard for being fully trained. I'm worried something might go wrong"

As a pilot: "I think the Navy is awesome, because they allow me to fly an airplane with only 6 months of training, rather than the multiple years which is the standard for being fully trained. What could go wrong?"

Reactions: 1 user

As a physician: "I think the Navy is irresponsible, because they make me practice medicine with only 9 years of formal training, rather than the 11 which is the standard for being fully trained. I'm worried something might go wrong"

As a pilot: "I think the Navy is awesome, because they allow me to fly an airplane with only 6 months of training, rather than the multiple years which is the standard for being fully trained. What could go wrong?"
that's cute but it's pretty clear that the aircraft commander is there at the controls too

Through an interesting set of circumstances, I have some stick time in a 737. Did touch and go's at an outlying rural airfield when I was in the Navy. That day ranks up there in days I remember fondly. Flew with a pilot that I was totally comfortable with in the right seat. What I remember most was how agile that aircraft seemed, didn't expect that at all. I also have stick time in T-34C and TH-57's.

So I take it you're Navy?

The best way to get stick time is to be in a multi seat squadron whether it is helos or jets. As for jets, the deploying units that are multi seat typically don't have flight controls in the back as they are missionized for the weapons systems officer, who is a Naval Flight Officer (NFO) and not a pilot. That means that for jets, your best bet is to be assigned to a training unit.

Then it is all about how well liked you are. If I had an open back seat I would start calling guys I liked to fly with to see if they wanted to jump in. I didn't call people I didn't like. It was t just flight docs, but other NFOs as well.

Perrotfish, I'm not sure I follow your numbers. Are you including undergraduate college as part of that 9 or 11 years for a physician? Because pilots in the military need that too and I wouldn't really consider undergrad to be "professional education" for medicine or aviation. Additionally 6 months of flight surgeon training does not make someone a qualified pilot in the Navy.

Perrotfish, I'm not sure I follow your numbers. Are you including undergraduate college as part of that 9 or 11 years for a physician? Because pilots in the military need that too and I wouldn't really consider undergrad to be "professional education" for medicine
Ditto this. My undergrad years were anything BUT professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a pilot's license when I was 17. Might've been 16 for my first solo flight.

It's not hard. I'm a very risk averse person and I'm totally cool with any responsible adult flying solo VFR after a few months of training and eval.

Can the hours in the T34 and TH57 go towards a PPL

Yes, but T34 goes towards fixed wing private license and TH57 would go towards helicopter private license. You wouldn't be able to combine both hours for one license.

Yes, but T34 goes towards fixed wing private license and TH57 would go towards helicopter private license. You wouldn't be able to combine both hours for one license.
cooper since you're winged i thought i'd ask you that since FS only take a class II flight physics are the requirements less stringent because the reason i didn't pursue military aviation is because one eye does not correct to 20/20 and do you know if that is disqualifying for class II as well or are they okay with it since at the end of the day its just a doc not a pilot

The vision requirements for NFOs and flight docs are less stringent than pilots, but I don't have the actual numbers in front of me right now. Sorry.

Would the pilot need to be a card-carrying CFI for the ride along/student pilot to count those hours towards civilian private license?

No. They are designated military instructor pilots so the FAA will take it. The actual amount of dual hours for a private aren't that high anyway and you'll need to get some of that to get comfortabe in a Cessna or other training plane anyway.