Fluoroscopy in Rheumatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeardedRunner

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can rheumatologists do fluoroscopic guided joint injections?
Is there some extra certification or training that they can take to perform these procedures?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you need fluoro? When would Ultrasound not be sufficient ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can rheumatologists do fluoroscopic guided joint injections?
Is there some extra certification or training that they can take to perform these procedures?
Fluoro isn't needed for any of the injections that rheumatologists do. If you want to inject spines under fluoroscopy then you need to go do an anesthesiology or PMR residency then a pain fellowship...

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you need fluoro? When would Ultrasound not be sufficient ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The fellows at my institution said that they mainly inject knees, but they don't touch the hip or back, those injections go to Pain management. I've seen hips done using fluoro, performed by MSK radiologists. I would like to be able to do those injections on my own instead of having to refer out.

Last edited:
You can def do multiple joints (other than spine) under Ultrasound. Trigger finger, hips, knees, CTS, shoulder, elbow, ankle etc are all possible under ultrasound guidance

Hips are doable...not everybody is comfortable doing hips with US, but if you train under baller people who have the experience you can definitely learn how to do it.

The short answer is no. If it needs fluoro it goes to pain management or radiology. If you want to do fluoro injections all day go into one of those fields. If you want to do a few injections (some with US guidance, most without) and spend the rest of your time doing something interesting, go into rheumatology

Reactions: 1 user