Florida/Texas DPT 2016-2017 Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikhan009

DPTlife
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have been looking at these forums for the past two years. A lot of people on here have great GPAs, GRE scores, extracurriculars, hours, and I felt that my scores were not good enough compared to everyone else's, but I can finally stop thinking that way because I got accepted to a program (pretty early too). I was waiting to post until I heard back from schools, so here it goes!

University: Florida International University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.78
Science and Math GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.63
Last 60 hours GPA: 3.89

GRE Score: 151-Q/150-V/4.0-W
*My GRE score is probably a little below average and I only took it once. So for those with "average" GRE scores, it is perfectly fine because that's not the only thing they look at.

Hours: 64 Outpatient Orthopedic, 50 Inpatient Acute care, 20 Inpatient Skilled Nursing Facility, 20 Outpatient Neurologic, 180 PT tech (I had just started so I could only put 180 hours).
*The best thing to do when it comes to hours is to HAVE A VARIETY! I think that is one of the things that helped me.

Applied: FIU, Nova, USF, UCF, UNT, TWU, UT Southwestern, UTMB Galveston
Interviews: UNT
Accepted: Nova
Rejected: UNT

*I am totally okay with UNT rejecting me instead of being an alternate lol I hate not knowing.

I am really happy I got accepted to a school. I honestly didn't care where I got accepted, I just wanted to pursue the career of physical therapy and now I have been given the opportunity. I really wish the best for all of you and I will update as soon as I hear from other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting you think that way because comparing yourself to other candidates in forum is unfair to yourself -- compare yourself to real data from last years accepted/nonaccepted DPT candidates. Every year PTCAS provides this data for review. It's a long report but they have sections for GPA, GRE, observation hours, etc. Based on the data for last year's accepted applicants, you are in the accepted range related to GPA. So I encourage those who think they have to compare themselves with others in this forum to instead compare their stats to real PTCAS data for accepted applicants in the previous cycle. Some of the stats in these forums appear absurdly high. Not to say they are not real but why would someone worry about acceptance with a 3.8 GPA and any GRE score greater than 156 QR/VR and 4 in writing? Here is a link to last year's accepted DPT candidate data: http://www.ptcas.org/uploadedFiles/PTCASorg/About_PTCAS/PTCASApplicantDataRpt.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on your acceptance to NOVA !!!

During the UNT interview I was sitting next to a girl that was really friendly that was from Florida as well, and that applied to both Florida and Texas schools, I wonder if it's you, ahah :) Anyways, congrats on the Nova acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting you think that way because comparing yourself to other candidates in forum is unfair to yourself -- compare yourself to real data from last years accepted/nonaccepted DPT candidates. Every year PTCAS provides this data for review. It's a long report but they have sections for GPA, GRE, observation hours, etc. Based on the data for last year's accepted applicants, you are in the accepted range related to GPA. So I encourage those who think they have to compare themselves with others in this forum to instead compare their stats to real PTCAS data for accepted applicants in the previous cycle. Some of the stats in these forums appear absurdly high. Not to say they are not real but why would someone worry about acceptance with a 3.8 GPA and any GRE score greater than 156 QR/VR and 4 in writing? Here is a link to last year's accepted DPT candidate data: http://www.ptcas.org/uploadedFiles/PTCASorg/About_PTCAS/PTCASApplicantDataRpt.pdf

Thank you! I didn't realize they had this!

Congrats on your acceptance to NOVA !!!

During the UNT interview I was sitting next to a girl that was really friendly that was from Florida as well, and that applied to both Florida and Texas schools, I wonder if it's you, ahah :) Anyways, congrats on the Nova acceptance!

Haha omg! It was me! Thank you!! Did you hear back from any schools? Hope you got into all of them! :)

Hey everyone!

I have been looking at these forums for the past two years. A lot of people on here have great GPAs, GRE scores, extracurriculars, hours, and I felt that my scores were not good enough compared to everyone else's, but I can finally stop thinking that way because I got accepted to a program (pretty early too). I was waiting to post until I heard back from schools, so here it goes!

*My GRE score is probably a little below average and I only took it once. So for those with "average" GRE scores, it is perfectly fine because that's not the only thing they look at.

Hours: 64 Outpatient Orthopedic, 50 Inpatient Acute care, 20 Inpatient Skilled Nursing Facility, 20 Outpatient Neurologic, 180 PT tech (I had just started so I could only put 180 hours).
*The best thing to do when it comes to hours is to HAVE A VARIETY! I think that is one of the things that helped me.

*I am totally okay with UNT rejecting me instead of being an alternate lol I hate not knowing.

I am really happy I got accepted to a school. I honestly didn't care where I got accepted, I just wanted to pursue the career of physical therapy and now I have been given the opportunity. I really wish the best for all of you and I will update as soon as I hear from other schools.
Where is your top choice?

Haha omg! It was me! Thank you!! Did you hear back from any schools? Hope you got into all of them! :)

That's what I thought!
Awwwwwww thank you! I haven't heard yet from Texas State or Angelo State, but I have an interview with UTMB on November 4th and I got into TWU and UNT

Hey congrats on your acceptance!! When did you apply to Nova and when did they get back to you?

That's what I thought!
Awwwwwww thank you! I haven't heard yet from Texas State or Angelo State, but I have an interview with UTMB on November 4th and I got into TWU and UNT

That is AMAZING!! Congrats!! I hope you get into your top school! Atleast now you have options as well!

Hey congrats on your acceptance!! When did you apply to Nova and when did they get back to you?

Thank you!! I submitted my PTCAS application end of July, it was verified beginning of August. They messaged me around mid-August for their supplemental application. I completed that and heard back with their decision October 1st.

Talked to someone from NSU admissions yesterday and they said they have no time table for sending out acceptances. As they come in, they look at the competitiveness of the application and decide to give acceptance or not. They just said applying early is the best bet.

Talked to someone from NSU admissions yesterday and they said they have no time table for sending out acceptances. As they come in, they look at the competitiveness of the application and decide to give acceptance or not. They just said applying early is the best bet.

Have you heard back from any of the Florida schools yet @MagDPT ? I haven't yet from Florida, but have been accepted to two Texas schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you heard back from any of the Florida schools yet @MagDPT ? I haven't yet from Florida, but have been accepted to two Texas schools.
Nothing from Florida schools yet. I know UCF's deadline is the 17th so I'm hoping they start sending interview invitations out soon for November!

Last edited:
Anyone else hear from University of Florida?

Yes I will be. But no I don't believe so. I live pretty close. Where are you coming from?

I'm coming from Texas, but not sure they know that since my permanent address is in Florida. Anyway happy to have a travel voucher.

I'm coming from Texas, but not sure they know that since my permanent address is in Florida. Anyway happy to have a travel voucher.
Also, did you email to say you would attend? I did, but never received a reply.

Also, did you email to say you would attend? I did, but never received a reply.

Not heard back yet @MagDPT and the travel voucher is an amount of money to use for the trip. It will help. Have you heard from UCF yet?

Last edited:
Not heard back yet @MagDPT and the travel voucher is an amount of money to use for the trip. It will help. Have you heard from UCF yet?
Was that in a separate email or attached to your invite email? But nothing yet! I'm hoping for something soon.

Was that in a separate email or attached to your invite email? But nothing yet! I'm hoping for something soon.

@MagDPT It was part of the original invite email attachment. It was just a paragraph in there. It wasn't additional. Perhaps they did look carefully and realized I was traveling from out of state. I emailed back and accepted and haven't heard back yet.

@MagDPT It was part of the original invite email attachment. It was just a paragraph in there. It wasn't additional. Perhaps they did look carefully and realized I was traveling from out of state. I emailed back and accepted and haven't heard back yet.
Yeah that may be the case. Mine just described what the visit day consists of and everything. If I don't hear anything within this next week I'll probably call or email again just to be sure.

Hey everyone!

What was the time frame of wait time from you to hear back from nova? after you submitted PTCAS?

Hey everyone!

Congrats on your acceptance to NOVA! When did you have all your things submitted/verified through PTCAS?

What was the time frame of wait time from you to hear back from nova? after you submitted PTCAS?

I e-submitted 7/26, it was verified 8/1. I received their supplemental application 8/16, submitted that the day after and got accepted 9/30.

Congrats on your acceptance to NOVA! When did you have all your things submitted/verified through PTCAS?

Thank you! I e-submitted the application on PTCAS on 7/26 (I made sure I had all my letters, hours, etc in before submitting) and it was verified 8/1.

Has anyone heard back from nova? They sent me an email that my application was complete (supplemental + ptcas) on October 31st. Still waiting to hear back. Someone whose application was complete after me already heard back with a rejection letter which is weird since they have rolling admissions. I sent an email 2 days ago but haven't heard back yet.