Florida Licensure Woes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLDentist2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just recently became licensed in Florida and have run into some issues. Given that Florida does things Florida's way, I was curious if anyone else had experienced similar problems.

So the thing is, if you take your ADEX outside of Florida after October 2, 2011, you're allowed to apply for licensure as long as you can prove that you've practiced full time for the last 5 years) and take the Florida Laws and Ethics exam. I did all that and got duly licensed. The only caveat is that in order to keep your license permanently, you're required to log (and prove it with spreadsheets) 1200 hours of patient care during your first year as a licensed Florida dentist, and they give you exactly one year from the date you got licensed to get it done. I got licensed prior to moving to Florida and starting my new associate position with the expectation that I would begin practicing immediately and therefore have plenty of time to log my 1200 hours by the one year mark.

Due to covid, my start date at the new job kept getting pushed back. I finally started working recently, but now I will be unable to log 1200 hours by the 1 year mark, even working 5 days a week, 8 hour days. I've tried to sign up for volunteer positions and weekend locum positions but have had little success. I've called and emailed the board to ask about whether extensions/exceptions would be made for people in my situation, but they essentially told me to go pound sand. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there!

I am practicing in Florida and haven't run into that problem per se but I think the Florida Board of Dentistry is going to have to make exceptions in your case, because I am sure that you are not the only one going through this.

Call the board office and see if you can speak with someone directly.

Dr Kennedy

Hi everyone. I just recently became licensed in Florida and have run into some issues. Given that Florida does things Florida's way, I was curious if anyone else had experienced similar problems.

So the thing is, if you take your ADEX outside of Florida after October 2, 2011, you're allowed to apply for licensure as long as you can prove that you've practiced full time for the last 5 years) and take the Florida Laws and Ethics exam. I did all that and got duly licensed. The only caveat is that in order to keep your license permanently, you're required to log (and prove it with spreadsheets) 1200 hours of patient care during your first year as a licensed Florida dentist, and they give you exactly one year from the date you got licensed to get it done. I got licensed prior to moving to Florida and starting my new associate position with the expectation that I would begin practicing immediately and therefore have plenty of time to log my 1200 hours by the one year mark.

Due to covid, my start date at the new job kept getting pushed back. I finally started working recently, but now I will be unable to log 1200 hours by the 1 year mark, even working 5 days a week, 8 hour days. I've tried to sign up for volunteer positions and weekend locum positions but have had little success. I've called and emailed the board to ask about whether extensions/exceptions would be made for people in my situation, but they essentially told me to go pound sand. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar.
Thanks!
Hello! I hope you have been able to get some more reasonable response from the board? Did you do your ADEX/CDCA exams in Florida or out of state? I moved here from Canada i January and I am in the process of applying for a license after completing the Inbde and the laws and rules exam. If you do not mind, I have a question that I think you may be able to help me with!
So I complete my CDCA exam in 2016 in Canada. Thus, I have to submit proof of full time practice since then. I would appreciate any pointers as to what to request from my previous offices of employment in order to avoid confusion. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I hope you have been able to get some more reasonable response from the board? Did you do your ADEX/CDCA exams in Florida or out of state? I moved here from Canada i January and I am in the process of applying for a license after completing the Inbde and the laws and rules exam. If you do not mind, I have a question that I think you may be able to help me with!
So I complete my CDCA exam in 2016 in Canada. Thus, I have to submit proof of full time practice since then. I would appreciate any pointers as to what to request from my previous offices of employment in order to avoid confusion. Thank you in advance!
I have not. They are the worst. They have one guy answering the phone and he is rude and not helpful. I honestly don't know if I'm gonna have a license come February. I did my ADEX in Mississippi in 2016. As far as proof of full-time employment for the last 5 years, you have to submit complete patient logs in spreadsheet form (Patient name, appointment and date) for every single patient you have seen in the last 5 years (with the names redacted for Hippaa). Once you begin the application process, the board office will email you a template for what you need to submit.

Reactions: 1 user
FL is also not allowing manikin examinations unless you took the OSCE by 11/30, meanwhile most other states are allowing it. No clue where / how I am going to organize a patient based exam without my school's help and time crunch of graduating on time.

Hey there!

I am practicing in Florida and haven't run into that problem per se but I think the Florida Board of Dentistry is going to have to make exceptions in your case, because I am sure that you are not the only one going through this.

Call the board office and see if you can speak with someone directly.

Dr Kennedy
I did call several times and they only have one person you can talk to directly. He specifically told me that no exceptions would be made and to check the board website for updates.

I have not. They are the worst. They have one guy answering the phone and he is rude and not helpful. I honestly don't know if I'm gonna have a license come February. I did my ADEX in Mississippi in 2016. As far as proof of full-time employment for the last 5 years, you have to submit complete patient logs in spreadsheet form (Patient name, appointment and date) for every single patient you have seen in the last 5 years (with the names redacted for Hippaa). Once you begin the application process, the board office will email you a template for what you need to submit.
Thank you so much for responding.

That guy answering the phone seems like a d bag. How do you people every have records of every patient for the list 5 years?

That guy answering the phone seems like a d bag. How do you people every have records of every patient for the list 5 years?
A lot of EHRs have automated lists of daily schedules you can copy into an excel spreadsheet. The board requested a list of patient initials, procedures completed and dates.

FL is also not allowing manikin examinations unless you took the OSCE by 11/30, meanwhile most other states are allowing it. No clue where / how I am going to organize a patient based exam without my school's help and time crunch of graduating on time.
Florida’s state surgeon general has extended the exception to live patients until March 31st 2021 & I expect if Covid starts ramping up in the state it will continue to be manikin based for the restorative & perio portions.

Let's create a Whatapp group. Text me to be added to "Florida Dental Licensure"
Mobile 856-873-6449

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm trying to get my FL license, and I'm running into some problems. Hopefully, someone here may have some insights or answers. I'm trying to compile my proof of full-time employment for the past 5 years. I saw that someone had mentioned that the Florida Board of Dentistry sends templates for the spreadsheets. However, when I called the number listed ((850) 245-4474) for the board office on the website, and after getting through the phone tree system, I'm greeted with a message that says "This position is currently vacant. Do not leave a message. Please call (850) 245-4474 for further assistance." The number they state is the number I called to begin with. Any one have any suggestions on my next step?

May I please ask if there was an easy way to request the patient logs in spreadsheet form from previous employers? I am confused as in how to approach them and what exactly to request for. Thanks a lot !!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm trying to get my FL license, and I'm running into some problems. Hopefully, someone here may have some insights or answers. I'm trying to compile my proof of full-time employment for the past 5 years. I saw that someone had mentioned that the Florida Board of Dentistry sends templates for the spreadsheets. However, when I called the number listed ((850) 245-4474) for the board office on the website, and after getting through the phone tree system, I'm greeted with a message that says "This position is currently vacant. Do not leave a message. Please call (850) 245-4474 for further assistance." The number they state is the number I called to begin with. Any one have any suggestions on my next step?
Please let me know if you were able to collect the required spreadsheet data.

What if I'm in a multi-year residency that's not in Florida?
I contacted the dental board and wasn't given a straight answer, they just recommended that I contact a specific person who might know; I just haven't gotten around to it due to final exams. I'm going to assume that based on what information is available to the dental board, that in this situation you would have to do the process again in Florida, since the guidance includes working/residency, but I'm hoping that isn't the case because it would be a royal PITA to accomplish.

I contacted the dental board and wasn't given a straight answer, they just recommended that I contact a specific person who might know; I just haven't gotten around to it due to final exams. I'm going to assume that based on what information is available to the dental board, that in this situation you would have to do the process again in Florida, since the guidance includes working/residency, but I'm hoping that isn't the case because it would be a royal PITA to accomplish.
Could you let me know? Because somebody said if I do it now before residency I can hold the license. But that doesn’t jive with what the website is saying.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!
Was your florida license the first license you applied for or did you have another license beforehand?

Hello all. I am an orthodontist who has been practicing 15 years with 5 locations and recently sold out and moved to Florida. Is there still an active group on WhatsApp or virtual chat working through the logistics of FL licensure? Also, has anyone taken or heard positive recommendations about any of the FL board prep courses? Thanks in advance and best of luck to you all.

Hello all. I am an orthodontist who has been practicing 15 years with 5 locations and recently sold out and moved to Florida. Is there still an active group on WhatsApp or virtual chat working through the logistics of FL licensure? Also, has anyone taken or heard positive recommendations about any of the FL board prep courses? Thanks in advance and best of luck to you all.
Hello !i am sorry for the question , but have you already received your Florida license? I cant find any info. Thank you.

Hello, I have a similar question as i am relocating to Florida and need to get my license . I am a license dentist in Maryland and graduated 2019, due to pregnancy and COVID I did some charitable work here and there and met the require hours for 2019 and 2020. I got employed 2021 and present. I do have the log on sheet require and a letter from the charitable work I was doing and one from my current employ.
Is this enough?
Also regarding retaking the adex again since I took it in 2019 and passed, if I retake it to get my license in Florida and say I don’t pass on my first attempt is my Maryland license suspended?

Thank you

Also regarding retaking the adex again since I took it in 2019 and passed, if I retake it to get my license in Florida and say I don’t pass on my first attempt is my Maryland license suspended?
Why do you need to retake ADEX if you passed it in 2019?

According to the rules if I can’t provide all the information of log sheet and verification on employment then I will have to retake the adex is it is more then 365 days old but am wondering who has successfully provided all the information and gotten approve

Hello, I have a similar question as i am relocating to Florida and need to get my license . I am a license dentist in Maryland and graduated 2019, due to pregnancy and COVID I did some charitable work here and there and met the require hours for 2019 and 2020. I got employed 2021 and present. I do have the log on sheet require and a letter from the charitable work I was doing and one from my current employ.
Is this enough?

Thank you
Hi,
I was wondering if you are retaking ADEX.

Just trying to follow this old thread, I wonder how the 1,200 hours requirement went with the renewal in the first thread. Please respond if anyone knows.