Florida EM Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDoogie4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hopefully all is going well with ya'll. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding any of the Florida EM (Allopathic) residencies. I am strongly considering USF, Orlando Regional, and UF. Any input would be AWESOME!! THANKS and have a great day!!! :) :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

I rotated at Orlando.. If you have specific Qs ask away.. otherwise I reviewed this program in the interviews completed thread I think..

FYI there is a UF-Jax program and the new UF-Gville program.

so is there a program in miami anymore? none according to saem, but then again the gainesville program isn't up on there either....

Members don't see this ad :)
There has never been an allo Em program in miami (at least not for the last 20 yrs) there is/was a DO program at mount Sinai but I dont know much about it.

ah...thanks for the clarification

I will be able to answer any questions you have about the USF program in Tampa. I can tell you, however, that all of the FL programs are very strong, and you can't go wrong with USF, UF-G, UF-J, or Orlando. They all have a different flavor but all give great training! (Yes, I know UF-G is new, but I think it is going to be a strong program in a few years... they have been teaching at UF-G for qutie some time and have great faculty).

Q

Specific questions..

1. How well does the EM and Trauma Surgery folks get along at USF?

2. How much exposure do you get with pre-hospital/EMS?

3. What is a competitive applicant like for USF?

4. How are the didactics scheduled?

5. For a student rotation, what are the specific responsibilities and expectations?

These questions can be applied to any of the Florida EM programs.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm also interested in Florida EM programs and would like to see the responses to Doogie's questions.

1. We get along just fine. Now that we have a full complement of residents (us being a brand new program, and are graduating our first class this June), we run nearly all of the traumas. We have it split into a two tiered system. "Blue" Trauma alerts (mechanism, # of fx, etc), we run 100% by ourselves, with trauma as a consult. "Red" alerts we run with trauma, as these are patients with obviously serious injuries (hypotensive, GSW to chest, etc).

2. As much as you want. Here at Tampa General, we have Aeromed (air transport), and two of our attendings are heads of Tampa Fire & Rescue, and Sarasota County EMS... so there are ample opportunities to do EMS research and administration, or just plain ride alongs. We have one month of EMS much like any other programs.

3. A competitive applicant is the same as for any other program in the nation. EM is competitive but NOT impossible. Don't freak out if you got a 81 on a pathology test M1 year (shoot, I graduated high school with a 2.8). Just apply! (early).

4. Didactics are Wedesdays 7a-noon, protected time. Anyone in the ED is off after 10pm Tuesday, so you aren't going to grand rounds post night shift or whatever... which is nice. Protected time except MICU (two months).

5. As an M4, you are "part of the team" You see whoever you want (albeit except trauma alerts) and are the "acting intern." I have let even M3s intubate patients. You are not just stuck with the dental pains and ankle sprains. Our interns also aren't babied, they're thrown into the mix day 1 (I ran two codes my first day as an EM1).

I would love to ansewr your questions about hte other EM programs in FL, but alas, it would be unfair. I know very little about them except for the fact they are all great programs!

Quinn
DoctorDoogie4 said:
Specific questions..

1. How well does the EM and Trauma Surgery folks get along at USF?

3. What is a competitive applicant like for USF?

5. For a student rotation, what are the specific responsibilities and expectations?

These questions can be applied to any of the Florida EM programs.

Thanks!!

Hey any chance for a USFMG who went to med school in Europe? Lived in Fort Lauderdale and would love to go back to Florida for EM.

Thanks!!

Representing for ORMC:

1. How well does the EM and Trauma Surgery folks get along at ORMC?
We get along with surgery very well. There is no animosity that I can tell, and we are respected as part of their teams when we rotate with them. We have 2 trauma teams who alternate call, and our traumas are broken down into 2 main categories: Alert and Red/Yellow/Green. Alert means that the trauma team is automatically paged and assists (EM R3 always manages airway); the others are run by EM solely. Any trauma may be upgraded or downgraded at any time, and EM may consult the trauma team for admission if need be.

We have a dedicated month in the 2nd year for EMS (ride-alongs, administration, etc.) We have a helicopter service based at the hospital you may fly with, as well as several ambulance companies. And the PD is really pusing EMS research as well, as there are lots of opportunities. In addition, if you want to fly some other time, you just sign up and pick up the radio.

3. What is a competitive applicant like for ORMC?
See Quinn's answer.

Protected time Tuesday and Thursday mornings 7-9:30, with occasional labs and once-a-month evening rounds (usually skill based, like reading EKGs or films.)
I honestly can't speak to that, but I know the students work 8 hour shifts and are paired with a teaching resident. And I also know that one of them got 2 procedures the other night and I got zippo.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and we have a couple of european medical school grads among our residents.

I can answer the student thing for ORMC.. I did 16 or 18 8 hour shifts in the month. 2 of those shifts were EMS, one was an ambulance ride along and one was supposed to be a flight call, the thing is there was a hurricane in the gulf and we got no calls.

My experience has been that they will let you do all the I&Ds and suturing you want. Getting to do LPs etc is a hit or miss thing depending on the teaching resident. IMO the teaching resident was key, they are very knowledgeable and really help you understand what you are doing. I got to do some schiatz (sp?) tonometry. They do hold you back from Peds IMO but this is the same as other places because you can really screw people up.

As an M4 you basically act like an intern, you can pick up whatever patient is next in the rack, I had a lady with a AAA (known medically managed) and ab pain. Turns out she had kidney stones.. interesting workup... I also had the chance to reset a ladies dislocated hip and one of the other students tried to set a guys ring finger that he dislocated.

As for foreign students they have one from Israel and one from Germany at ORMC (both m3s).. I dont know if they have any from this new intern class. What you are allowed to do depends on who you work with. Dr Tesar is awesome and basically has the confidence you know where your limits are. I also liked working with Drs Giordano, O'Brien, Cassidy and Clark. Overall I thought the attendings were top NOTCH. If you have other specific Qs PM me..